Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Inflation in 2005-06 NBA stats

The NBA disallowed handchecking at the end of the 2003-04 season, with the intent to open up the floor for perimeter players and increase offensive output

in 2005-06 you saw this becoming a major factor in the increased success in perimeter positioned players.

you see this come into play in 3 main examples

1. LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Allen Iverson, Paul Pierce, Gilbert Arenas, Ray Allen all experienced Career High PPG seasons and many others including Vince Carter, Michael Redd and Tracy Mcgrady all saw bumps in their output
    "The last time at least three players averaged at least 30 points per game was during the 1981-82 season. In fact, it had only happened six times before in the 59-year history of the NBA."(NBA.com)

2. Kobe dropped 81 this year and 62 in 3 quarters this year..... the highest scoring game we had seen since Wilt (imagine what MJ would have done this year lol jk jk)

3. The 2006 NBA finals culminated this all when Dwyane Wade was shooting a record amount of Free throws, and averaged 40 through the whole series.

Surely these are great players still getting buckets, but when put into context it is hard not to look at the league wide scoring bump for perimeter players and put that into account.

Luckily I think the NBA weathered the storm a bit but you still see how the league has completely progressed toward perimeter play as the standard for the great teams and have started to work the game from the outside in, rather than vice versa

What are your thoughts?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: Inflation in 2005-06 NBA stats

My thoughts are that all of Kobe's seasons prior to 2005-2006 should be statistically inflated

Let's Talks Numbers 34-24 Footwork's Avatar

Lol. How do you explain Kobe's 2006-2007 numbers then? What about Kobe's 62 points in 3 quarters?

You should probably take Kobe out of that equation. We saw what he was doing in 2013 up until the ruptured achilles.

Kobe deserves his own category when it comes to scoring...

Imagine what he'd be doing if he was playing in this era, healthy.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by 34-24 Footwork
    Lol. How do you explain Kobe's 2006-2007 numbers then? What about Kobe's 62 points in 3 quarters?

You should probably take Kobe out of that equation. We saw what he was doing in 2013 up until the ruptured achilles.

Kobe deserves his own category when it comes to scoring...

Imagine what he'd be doing if he was playing in this era, healthy.
    all the guys i listed were great players and continued to put up fantastic numbers, but there is no denying they all hit their career high numbers in that season with varying years in the league between them all... kobe in his 9th, lebron in his 3rd, paul pierce in his 7th etc.

This is what I always try to explain to people who think Wade's 2006 finals was fixed.

No, dummy, it's just the fouls on the perimeter were extra soft that year and Wade was the perfect player (most explosive slasher at the time) to take advantage.

The same people that shit on that performance will praise Kobe's 62 in 3 quarters when the same thing happened. Kobe took 25 FT's in 3 quarters against the same team.

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    This is what I always try to explain to people who think Wade's 2006 finals was fixed.

No, dummy, it's just the fouls on the perimeter were extra soft that year and Wade was the perfect player (most explosive slasher at the time) to take advantage.

The same people that shit on that performance will praise Kobe's 62 in 3 quarters when the same thing happened. Kobe took 25 FT's in 3 quarters against the same team.

K-Whistle

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    K-Whistle
    L-Tinydick

Let's Talks Numbers 34-24 Footwork's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Young X

You don't think that has anything to do with Kobe being the clear cut number one option for the first year while healthy??

Not sure how you throw Kobe in the mix when his situation has been totally different. Kobe is a better scorer than everyone listed in the original post.

I made an amazing in depth thread on this... Only Kobetards and guys who didn't want to believe their favorite league may have gone through an inflation period in production tried to deny it with nonsensical stuff (as done by 24 footwork here).

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    K-Whistle
    First time ever I agree with you.
    18 free throws per game for a finals series? A shame. Dallas was ROBBED

Quote Originally Posted by Gileraracer
    First time ever I agree with you.
    18 free throws per game for a finals series? A shame. Dallas was ROBBED
    K-whistle as in Kobe you fuccing retard

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents

3. The 2006 NBA finals culminated this all when Dwyane Wade was shooting a record amount of Free throws, and averaged 40 through the whole series.
    He averaged 34PPG

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents

Quote Originally Posted by hold this L
    He averaged 34PPG
    35 actually

Quote Originally Posted by hold this L
    He averaged 34PPG
    39.3 in the last four games . 40.3 in the close three games of last four while averaging 21.3 FTA .