Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Best example of 'Twin Towers' working out?

Just thinking about recent times,

Dwight and Asik didn't work out,
    Dwight and Pau didn't work out,
    AD and Asik isn't working out,
    Okafor and Noel is a terrible lineup, even in sixers standards

Now this is all recent, and I'm not asking for superstars, just wondering,

What instances do you recall that 'Twin Tower' lineups worked out? (Two seven footers, or 6'11. Basically playing two 'Centers' together.)

I wonder if it can even work if one of them isn't a Dirk Nowitzki type.

The only one that comes to mind is Tim Duncan and David Robinson but I assume there's plenty more I'm not too familier with. (Hakeem/Ralph?)

Default Re: Best example of 'Twin Towers' working out?

Tim Duncan & David Robinson as you mentioned
    Kevin McHale & Robert Parish
    Pau Gasol & Andrew Bynum were somewhat successful when Bynum was able to stay on court
    Ben Wallace & Rasheed Wallace?

What is your definition of working out though? Must the twin towers have won a championship or just had a few deep playoff runs together?

Pau and Marc savaged international bball for years, wish we could've seen them together in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime_Shaq
    Tim Duncan & David Robinson as you mentioned
    Kevin McHale & Robert Parish
    Pau Gasol & Andrew Bynum were somewhat successful when Bynum was able to stay on court
    Ben Wallace & Rasheed Wallace?

What is your definition of working out though? Must the twin towers have won a championship or just had a few deep playoff runs together?

Basically, be the best lineup on a good team.
    Like, at most points in recent history that was not the case.
    Asik and Davis aren't winning.
    With Dwight and Pau they underachived.

Could be a mid tier team, just means that they are best when both their 'Towers' are on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKAT
    Basically, be the best lineup on a good team.
    Like, at most points in recent history that was not the case.
    Asik and Davis aren't winning.
    With Dwight and Pau they underachived.

Could be a mid tier team, just means that they are best when both their 'Towers' are on the floor.
    Yeah well there weren't that many successful ones besides Duncan/Robinson and McHale/Parish. Just realized you said 2 7-footers so the 2 Wallaces don't count

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Yea Pau and Bynum is another one. And Mchale and Parish were both thought of as centers by Red. Nene and Gortat were fine for a while. The Pistons started a combo of Laimbeer, Salley, Mahorn, and Edwards and the shortest of them was 6'10'' Mahorn who was a center once he left for Philly. Mahorn was also with Jeff Ruland earlier. You had PJ Brown and Zo....and once PJ was off the Heat he was the center on the Hornets with Elden Campbell at the 4/5. Elden was a center his whole career once he was no longer with Shaq. Speaking of which....Shaq and Elden in LA. And both he and PJ I think....were still Hornets with Jamal Magloire.

Oh and the 90s Pacers. Dale Davis and Antonio didnt exactly split time...but there was also Rik Smits. All 3 of them were centers when they made all star games. The Knicks started Cartwright and Ewing for like a year.

And the Rockets have done it a few times. Hakeem and Ralph of course...but Yao knocked Cato to the 4 when he got there and they both started one or two years.

Elvin Hayes is remembered as a 4....but only because after like 5 years as a center he went to the Bullets who already had Wes Unseld. Wes was only like 6'6'' so hes not a "tower" but he was most certainly a center.

Its not really that rare at all. Just depends on what you consider "working". If the standard is high levels of success.....most lineups didnt work.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime_Shaq
    Yeah well there weren't that many successful ones besides Duncan/Robinson and McHale/Parish. Just realized you said 2 7-footers so the 2 Wallaces don't count

Well if you look at it like that....Hakeem wasnt 7 feet either. Neither was Duncan. Still twin tower situations though.

I just look at it as two guys generally considered centers or who played a lot of it.

Zo was like 6'9''. Everyone considered him a center. If Zo played with Mutombo in the NBA(as he did in college) I think people would have called it a Twin Towers situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Well if you look at it like that....Hakeem wasnt 7 feet either. Neither was Duncan. Still twin tower situations though.

I just look at it as two guys generally considered centers or who played a lot of it.

Zo was like 6'9''. Everyone considered him a center. If Zo played with Mutombo in the NBA(as he did in college) I think people would have called it a Twin Towers situation.
    I understand what you mean, I'm just trying to fulfill OP's criteria

Understood. Wasnt so much arguing as trying to be clear.

Twin Towers is kinda hard to define as 2 seven footers when the most famous examples of it had guys who are 6'10'' or so and one of them played the 4 most of his career.

If its just being tall....Kevin Garnett and Michael Olowokandi, Ervin"Not Magic" Johnson, Rasho, Marc Blount and so on would count. But I chose not to mention them since KG wasnt a center till he was washed up.

nobody, having twin towers doesn't win you shit

What are you calling Dirk and Tyson Chandler? 7' and 7'2''....both still had all star years left in them. Tyson was still like 27 or 28. Hes not that old now....hes just been around forever.

That title run not count?

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    nobody, having twin towers doesn't win you shit
    1999? 2003?

Very good NBA starter

Two traditional, back-to-the-basket type bigs (regardless of height) playing together worked out for more than 4 decades...

Very good NBA starter

also, it's a common misnomer in basketball to think height = determined position

Charles Barkley is 6'6 and DeJuan Blair is 6'7 but they both played center in college

Magic was 6'9 and Penny was 6'7 but played mostly point guard

Bargnani at 7'0 came into the league shooting three's but was considered a center.. Even Dirk a "power" forward played alot like a SF or SG

etc, etc

All I know is the next big duo is Okafor/Embiid.
    They won't play them together long because of minute restrictions, but from the little time they did there were no real problems I could see.
    Both will have a solid inside/out game (Embiid more than Okafor obviously) and Embiid will be the anchor on D.