Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: Reggie Miller VS Ray Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Solefade
    SMH, Reggie Miller is definitely the player you would build around over Ray Allen. You can't build a team around Ray.

And Reggie is on another level of clutch.
    you cant build around Reggie either, unless you are ok with never winning anything.

Ray Allen beat Reggie's 3-point record BEFORE he surpassed Reggie for most 3-point attempts.

Jesus Shuttlesworth is the GOAT from the tre.

Local High School Star

After in the steph curry ray allen debate I picked ray with a chance for steph to pass him because his game definitely has room to grow but I seriously don't understand this perpetuated myth on reggie miller like he was some all time player...I really love reggie and the dude could shoot but thats it...he cant playmake he can't rebound hell he doesnt even create his own shot well...ray could do it all in his prime the fact that this question is posed is a joke ray is reggie if reggie could create and score off the dribble so naturally he is the superior player

and ppl point out how clutch reggie is which he is but hes had a LOT of horrible moments that ppl just love to overlook as well

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Pleeeeeasssee.... for Ray Allens game/gamestyle to exist there had to be Reggie Miller and hence Reggie Miller has to come first, he is the ORIGINAL.. the best one....
    Ray has said (and Rip Hamilton) multiple times that he patterned his game after Reggie, that he "stole" all Reggies moves especially of the ball movement, screen tricks, how to get open and so on... Reggie was by extremly far the best of the ball/screen abusing/catch n shoot player in basketball history, Michael Jordan has said that to... you will never see somebody as good as him in that department, he had so many tricks up his sleeve to get open, running around and around like a marathon runner, grabbing his own teammate who set the screen to lever himself around him at the opposite side, hesitating all over the court between the screens/players in and out, left, right, up, down, spin, flop, spin, frustrate you, using your own teammates as screens, exhaust you, spit at you, hit a J over and over, trashtalk and so on... it was freakin scientific, it was ART watching him work without the ball...

There is a reason Kobe said: "Reggie is the hardest player i ever had to guard".. and that says alot considering he did guard Michael Jordan aswell..

For you who say Ray Allen was a more complete player, watch some of Reggies games when he was in his athletic prime from 1987-1992, you know, the fade Reggie... he was very quick, fast, deceptive, dunking on everybody, creating his own baskets over and over and was a better man to man defender than Ray Allen during that time aswell....

Reggie was also a MUCH better clutch player, Ray Allen is great in that department, but what Reggie did was matched ONLY by Michael Jordan & Larry Bird..........

Last but not least, when talking about shooting... Reggie was a better shooter because Reggie was a much more versatile shooter, he had a better shooting arsenal....... Ray Allen is more of a set shooter/standstill shooter, with that i mean he is not comfortable taking of balance shots, infact Ray Allen is a very bad of balance shooter (notice that next time you see him play during any time of his career).......... Ray Allen wants to go straight UP and shoulders/body faced towards the rim at all times when he shoots during any situation......... but Reggie? Reggie basically made his shots at that ridicilous percentage from any god damn range taking Kobe Bryant / Michael Jordan type of fadeaway/of balance shots.... Reggie made his shots however you wanted it, runners, floaters, hooks, left handed-right handed, skoops, you name it....

This is for the same exact reason Larry Bird was also a better shooter than Ray Allen.......

The bolded is extremely laughable I honestly question if you watched ray play in his prime after that statement...and reggie being able to make difficult shots is all well and good but it still doesnt change the fact that ray allen is a much better basketball player then him

Quote Originally Posted by Boston C's
    After in the steph curry ray allen debate I picked ray with a chance for steph to pass him because his game definitely has room to grow but I seriously don't understand this perpetuated myth on reggie miller like he was some all time player...I really love reggie and the dude could shoot but thats it...he cant playmake he can't rebound hell he doesnt even create his own shot well...ray could do it all in his prime the fact that this question is posed is a joke ray is reggie if reggie could create and score off the dribble so naturally he is the superior player

and ppl point out how clutch reggie is which he is but hes had a LOT of horrible moments that ppl just love to overlook as well
    Hate to do this again but all those advantages statswise that you gave ray allen are all minimal that its hardly worth a mention for most players. Ray Allen outrebounds him by a single rebound, leads him by half an assist and outscores him by a single point on a significantly lower percentage.

Reggie Miller constantly outplaying Ray Allen on head to head matchups throughout their careers regular season and playoffs stats wise and in terms of wins is a better indication of who the better players is in my opinion.

Ray has an advantage in offensive versatility and ballhandling while Millers edge is being a superior leader and more efficient scorer and intangibles. It all boils down to what skills do you value more in picking between the two.

In regards to his inability to create his own shot, Reggie Miller has a very underrated face up game with all the jab steps and stepbacks he does off the catch of the ball. He can certainly put the ball down the floor off the pumpfake going all the way to the rim or shooting a runner/floater. Reggie in his athletic prime dribbled the ball more and attacked the basket more frequently. I think he focused on his off the ball skills much more when he got older and on the arrival of mark jackson.

Reggie did have a lot of horrible moments in the playoffs but so did Ray so I dont know why you felt the need to mention it.

While I dont deny that Ray Allen is one of the best shooters ever its odd that a player of his caliber and superior athleticism and skills never shot over 50% in 17 years while many less heralded shooters have done it multiple times.

I have engaged in this argument a few times and it still bothers me when people overstate ones advantages over the other. To me this matchup is basically a wash and it all depends on a persons preferred style of play.

Quote Originally Posted by Solefade
    SMH, Reggie Miller is definitely the player you would build around over Ray Allen. You can't build a team around Ray.

And Reggie is on another level of clutch.
    Reggie came out the loser in just about every big series he ever had in his career. Ray on the other hand triumphed in most of his.

Where in the hell did this perception that Reggie was some ultimate clutch warrior come from? Yes, he hit a big shots in his career, but he came up short a majority of the time in big series'.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Reggie came out the loser in just about every big series he ever had in his career. Ray on the other hand triumphed in most of his.

Where in the hell did this perception that Reggie was some ultimate clutch warrior come from? Yes, he hit a big shots in his career, but he came up short a majority of the time in big series'.
    Ray won as the 3rd/4th best player on his team. Its highly likely that Miller could have done that given the same situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie43
    Ray won as the 3rd/4th best player on his team. Its highly likely that Miller could have done that given the same situation.
    Doesn't take away the fact that Ray was the better player.

I was simply talking regarding the clutch thing.

Doesn't take away the fact that Ray was the better player.

I was simply talking regarding the clutch thing.
    Then explain how he got outplayed head to head?

Local High School Star

Reggie was a better post-season player.

Even though Ray Allen could do more and had greater abilities primarily with the ball, you were better off using Ray the same way Reggie Miller was used which was off the ball.

Reggie was a better off-ball player, so he is the better player to me.

Then explain how he got outplayed head to head?
    So this is your metric for determining who the better player is? As it clearly takes into account team tactics, who was guarding who, defensive gameplans, etc.

I guess you think Deron Williams is better than Chris Paul for the same reason then? Blake Griffin better than Tim Duncan? Durant as good as Kobe?

FWIW, Ray Allen was never the #1 guy like Reggie was for his squad. Reggie Miller was the best player on a team that took Mj and the Bulls to a game 7....
    we all know how rare that was.

So this is your metric for determining who the better player is? As it clearly takes into account team tactics, who was guarding who, defensive gameplans, etc.

I guess you think Deron Williams is better than Chris Paul for the same reason then? Blake Griffin better than Tim Duncan? Durant as good as Kobe?
    Statswise they were basically the same so we search for another way to compare them. Regardless of who won Miller got the edge on those matchups statswise. Give me a better metric in comparing these players then

Miller as the best player on his team got the most defensive attention while Ray allen wasnt even arguably the hardest player to guard on those bucks teams that also featured the high scoring duo of sam cassell and glen robinson. Miller was also Ray Allens primary defender so it also says a lot about the formers defensive ability

You bring up the head to head of players past their prime like duncan and kobe against griffin and durant? Naturally it wont be fair to the older players dont you think? Miller was put at the same disadvantage but he still came out on top

Statswise they were basically the same so we search for another way to compare them. Regardless of who won Miller got the edge on those matchups statswise. Give me a better metric in comparing these players then

Miller as the best player on his team got the most defensive attention while Ray allen wasnt even arguably the hardest player to guard on those bucks teams that also featured the high scoring duo of sam cassell and glen robinson. Miller was also Ray Allens primary defender so it also says a lot about the formers defensive ability

You bring up the head to head of players past their prime like duncan and kobe against griffin and durant? Naturally it wont be fair to the older players dont you think? Miller was put at the same disadvantage but he still came out on top
    Their stats aren't the same. Allen's are better across the board.

Hes a better shooter, scorer, rebounder, passer, defender, ball handler, etc.

Even when he played the off the ball role that Miller did while at the Celtics, he put up those numbers on better efficiency.

Their stats aren't the same. Allen's are better across the board.

Hes a better shooter, scorer, rebounder, passer, defender, ball handler, etc.

Even when he played the off the ball role that Miller did while at the Celtics, he put up those numbers on better efficiency.
    The least you could have done is look up the stats before claiming who was more efficient. Miller shot above 50% 4 times in his career, something Ray failed to do not even one time in his

Who do you think the better shooter/scorer is? the guy who shot 47% to get 18pts or the one with 19pts on 45%?

As I said before, Ray was merely 1 rebound and half an assist better. for someone thats supposed to be a better playmaker you should expect atleast much better results than a half an assist advantage.

I guess you dont remember Ray allen being considered a defensive liability by most before coming to boston? While Miller was being praised by none other than Jordan himself by being one of the peskiest defenders in the league.