Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    National High School Star Mrofir's Avatar

Default Re: Isnt the discrimination against MVP point guards apparent?

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    What Kidd did in his prime was a bit more impressive than Nash tho, because he didn't have a system, an offensive minded coach, a finisher, continuity, nor as good shooters, or as versatile offensive players. Not one other player in the league could have done what Kidd did that year. Not Shaq, Kobe, Tmac, Duncan or any point guard. And Nash was pretty close to him with that second MVP. Agreed.
    Kidd's run with the Nets was pretty remarkable, especially the way they swept through the playoffs. Going 2-2 with the Spurs in the finals was super impressive and surprising. Here is the thing that detracts from it for me -- everyone and their mother knew the a team from the west was going to win the finals that year. If the Nets had somehow finished the job Kidd would leap frog the entire tier to stand just behind Magic. That's how influential just a few games can be in a legacy.

The clear cut best three teams in the league were in the west -- Spurs, Mavs, Kings -- in roughly that order. The Lakers could have possibly been the 4th best team in the league that year, with Kobe/Shaq and not much else. The 6th seeded Trail Blazers had the same record is the #1 seeded Pistons in the East, 50-32. That is messed up.

The east was pretty weak that year and even though JKidd was absolutely phenomenal, I'm not sure those Nets would have escaped the 2nd round in the west. It's not Kidd's fault, but I think his play that year won't be remembered the same way as Isiah or Nash in their prime playoff runs. I'm a Suns fan, so I'm a Kidd fan as well.
    Last edited by Mrofir; 04-22-2015 at 04:10 PM.

Decent playground baller Wiltside's Avatar

Harden or Curry are deserving. I'm happy either way.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    Best record in the league based on defense....his weakest aspect.
    Rose had a very impressive year defensively. Name an elite pg that had a good game on him all year long. The were averaging less than 40% shooting and well below their scoring average on him. They had the best perimeter defense in the league. He held Wade as good as any player ever held a healthy Wade in the playoffs. No other great defensive PG in current memory is doing that.
    It's not like Curry is surrounded by epic offensive talent. Klay is a great spot up shooter, draygod is ok, Barnes has been down, Lee barely plays, and Bogut hasn't been able to shoot since his elbow exploded.
    I gave you 12 key critical points that Curry has an advantage in. Do you want to continue or you don't?

Rose had Loul Deng and Boozer, who both had the ability to score 20+ ppg for the season, and Noah who was the best passing big in the game.
    Noah and Boozer had bad years and missed 67 games between them. Noah's passing game did little for that offense.
    Rose ballhogged his way to great stats on a team that won because 1. They had the best D and 2. They played their starters more than anyone else.
    Maybe you can list me all the teams in history that featured a ball hog with the best record in the league, and I'll show you an MVP.

1. GS has the best defense in the league and a way more competent offense.
    2. The Bulls had 20 different starting line-ups. The whole team started.
    Obviously curry and Nash had better offensive help than Rose....but they also made those guys better, and had offensive results multiple tiers above that Bulls team.

Rose was only in the MVP discussions because of the Bulls record, and that record was based on Thibs, D, and overworking the team in the regular season. NOT Rose's offense.
    Sorry, but Lebron's team had a top three defense. With two of the best offensive players in the game the year before. Rose lead the league in 4th quarter turnarounds and fourth quarter scoring. You said he was a ball hog. It obviously means he was a great ball hog and that he was better than the rest of the league when it counted most.

Dwight howard > Rose

Decent college freshman game3524's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Those are just excuses. And you can make them for every year.

Lebron was on a super talented team and didn't have the best record. Dirk was on one of his best teams. Rose had waaaaay more excuses and reasons not to excell that year than Wade, Lebron, Dwight... .
    There not excuse at all. Rose won the MVP in a weak overall year for MVP candidates. You think he is winning that award if Lebron remains in Cleveland or Kobe's knee was healthy?