Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Biggest freaks of nature in NBA history

1.Shaquille O'Neal- Somebody who is a legit 7'1" and well over 300 should have never been quick, agile or athletic in anyway much less one of the most athletic big men of all time. Shaq is so strong it is rumored he benches over 450 pounds with ease and tearing down a whole basketball hoop without any effort makes that easy to believe. Look at Shaq's stats from the 1992 pre-draft camp.

Height w/o shoes: 7'1"
    Weight: 303
    Wingspan: 7'7"
    Body Fat: 12.2%
    Standing Reach: 9'5"
    Highest Touch: 12'4"
    Vertical: 35 Inches

When you see how huge he is it is difficult to imagine him once having a 35 inch vertical and throwing down 360 dunks or dunking on the best defensive players in history with ease but that was a regular day for Shaq. He kept that 35 inch vertical for most of his career despite weighing much more than the 303 pounds he entered the league at.

2.Lebron James
    Has there ever been anyone as big as Lebron who is that athletic. The guy is a legit 6'8", 260 pounds and he has a 44 inch vertical. Not to mention he is as quick as most point guards despite being bigger than most power forwards.

3.Wilt Chamberlain- I heard Wilt was a track star despite being 7'1". That is amazing and while some of the things you hear about Wilt seem like myths it is a fact that he was one of the elite high jumpers and track stars in the country. Wilt eventually bulked up to over 320 pounds but it was solid muscle and he is probably one of the most athletic and well conditioned players ever.

4.Dwight Howard- Dwight is 270-280 pounds yet he is doing these windmill dunks and winning dunk contests like it is nothing. His vertical leap has to be close to 40 inches and aside from that he is easily one of the strongest players I've ever seen. Maybe the most athletic big man ever.

5.Kevin Garnett- He can play any position and handle the ball like a point guard at 7 feet or 6'11 3/4"(KG loves the fact he is technically not a 7 footer). KG can also run the floor like a guard and jump out of the gym. I've seen him throw down some dunks that don't even seem possible. Easily one of the more versatile players of all time.

I didn't feel like just including average size/build swingmen like Michael Jordan, Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady who could jump high and there are a few other playes who came to mind like Ralph Sampson. Did I forget anyone?

Default Re: Biggest freaks of nature in NBA history

Ya gotta go with Wilt at one, he'd run circles around prime Shaq.

1. Wilt
    2. Lebron
    3. Shaq
    4. KG
    5. Dwight

Your list is pretty consistent with the "freaks" that have come in though, I really cant think of another at the moment either.

Dunking on everybody in the park gabeh1018's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers13
    Ya gotta go with Wilt at one, he'd run circles around prime Shaq.

1. Wilt
    2. Lebron
    3. Shaq
    4. KG
    5. Dwight

Your list is pretty consistent with the "freaks" that have come in though, I really cant think of another at the moment either.

this board centers too many arguments and points around pure speculation...

another BULLS like comment

NBA rookie of the year

The problem with Wilt is I don't know what was true and what wasn't. For example I don't believe that he had a 56 inch vertical or he jumped from the free throw line and dunked on his free throws but I know for a fact the stuff about him being an elite high jumper and track star is true.

You have to remember that at the other end of the spectrum are small players who played with the big guys, like Muggsy Bogues and Earl Boykins.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by BULLS
    Amare and prime Kemp. Pre-back injury Larry Johnson deserves a mention as well.
    Amare and Kemp are good selections but LJ isn't as much of a freak as the rest. He is an athletic undersized power forward but so was Barkley.

Earl Boykins and Allen Iverson, are hugely underrated in that regard...

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Phenomenon
    Earl Boykins and Allen Iverson, are hugely underrated in that regard...
    Boykins yes considering he is listed 5-5, 135 pounds yet he can bench press over 315 pounds. Iverson had a vertical leap of a little over 40 inches but for a guy 5-11" that is not shocking. I'd add Spud Webb and Nate Robinson before Iverson.

NBA rookie of the year

Iverson is arguably the best athlete in the history of this game.
    How? Yeah he's quick but there are players quicker and players who could jump higher. He's small for an NBA player but he isn't as shocing of a physical freak as say Dwight Howard who can jump almost as high despite being close to a foot bigger and probably 100 pounders heavier.

How? The guy can play multiple sports at a high level, takes the greatest amount of punishment for 10 years in this league against guys much bigger and stronger then him...yet he really hasn't lost a step at all.

You're so quick to praise a big guy like Shaquille but really neglect giving some love to the smaller athletes who take just as much punishment...Shaquille has gone down big time, while Iverson is still running on most of his cylinders.

Don't underrate this guy, easily one of the greatest "freaks of nature" this league has ever produced. I'm sure you played tackle football before, and was so sore the next day you couldn't get up off the couch...well just put yourself in Iverson's shoes...he's a SUPERSTAR who has the ball in his hand all the time, who drives inside consistently...gets thrown around like a rag doll, and still is playing at a high level.

Guy is incredible...also Michael Jordan...should be on this list this instance.

I think Shaq is the obvious answer. No one has ever been that big strong and quick all in one package.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Phenomenon
    How? The guy can play multiple sports at a high level, takes the greatest amount of punishment for 10 years in this league against guys much bigger and stronger then him...yet he really hasn't lost a step at all.

You're so quick to praise a big guy like Shaquille but really neglect giving some love to the smaller athletes who take just as much punishment...Shaquille has gone down big time, while Iverson is still running on most of his cylinders.

Don't underrate this guy, easily one of the greatest "freaks of nature" this league has ever produced. I'm sure you played tackle football before, and was so sore the next day you couldn't get up off the couch...well just put yourself in Iverson's shoes...he's a SUPERSTAR who has the ball in his hand all the time, who drives inside consistently...gets thrown around like a rag doll, and still is playing at a high level.

I'm talking about guys who should not be able to do certain things physically. Shaq at over 7'1" and 300 pounds should not be that quick, athletic or agile. Lebron should not be that big, quick and athletic. Dwight Howard should not be that athletic at his height and weight. Iverson is very athletic but a 5-11 guy who is quick and has a 41 inch vertical is not shocking. Taking hits does not make you a freak of nature either.

NBA rookie of the year

He's not just "quick." He's the quickest/fastest player ever. And no, Howard could not jump as high as prime Iverson. There might be 5-6 players of all-time who could jump as high or higher than Iverson. Also, weight has nothing to do with athleticism.
    Howard himself said being 270 pounds makes it harder to do the things he does in the air and how do you know Iverson is the quickest player ever? There is no way to prove that.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Anyone who thinks Wilt was more athletic than young Shaq seriously needs to actually watch them both in action. Orlando Shaq was bigger, stronger, faster, more nimble, a better leaper and more coordinated than Wilt ever was.

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again, Dalembert is one of the most athletic players in NBA history. At 6'10, he can dunk from the FT line effortlessly.

Common-sense Cavs Fan

Iverson is not a freak of nature, I could find at least 10 guys just around Columbus, who are around his height or smaller, that are fast, quick, agile and can jump. He's what 6 feet and about 170, hell that's not freakish at all, just cuz he can jump high he is not a freak, I bet all of the track stars could jump as high as him.

It's not fair to judge Wilt vs. Shaq, there is about a 30 year gap between the 2 players, did many players back then look as fluid in their movements as opposed to the players of today, I mean times change, you learn about Exercise and weight Training and diet and all sorts of things can change how players develop.

Wilt was a freak, and Shaq is as well.

LeBron I'd call a freak, Dwight, Shaq, Wilt, Kemp was a big man who could jump, but that's about it.

So are we saying that if someone can jump high as hell that in itself makes them a freak of nature, Kemp and Iverson.

A true freak is a Vernon Davis who plays for the San Francisco 49ers... He's like 6'5 260, runs a 4.4, over a 40 inch vert, benches 400+, Squats about 700+ that's freakish numbers.

Having a high vertical and being quick, just makes you extremely athletic, which Iverson was, cuz he could play football and basketball at a high level, which is impressive.

KG I don't think is a freak of nature, he has freakish skills, being able to play how he does, but he's tall and has a thin frame, and can play multiple positions, but he isn't a freak of nature.

Yao Ming, Shawn Bradley, Manute Bol, George Muhresan are all Freaks of nature, 7'6-7'7 that is freakish no matter if they had no skills or can't jump or whatever, that's freakish as hell.

I'd put my money on Dwight Howard as the freakiest. I can't say much on Wilt since all I know are stories, but he's at the top for sure.