Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Arvydas Sabonis

Default Re: Arvydas Sabonis

Ive seen limited footage, you know, coz i wasnt even alive when they played

and definitely as in my my opinion, im not claiming its the word of god

National High School Star SsKSpurs21's Avatar

what i remember best about sabonis was that laser shot he had outside 15 feet! that thing had no arch yet he nailed it every time!

to me, he was dirk with a great post game.

Sabonis was 7 foot 3 and nearly 300lb, taller & heavier than Wilt, KAJ, Olajuwon, taller than Shaq but weighted a little less

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lakas Fan Yo
    The FIBA hall off fame standards are way higher than the basketball hall of fame standards. Only one person has ever been voted in unanimously to the FIBA hall.
    A lack of unanimous voting recipients does not necessarily equate to higher standards.

check out this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XoeR...eature=related

its the FIBA WC 1986 semis, USSR is playing Yugoslavia, Yugoslavia leads 9 points with about 1 minute before the end of the game and USSR ties it and goes on to win in overtime. USSR hits 3 three pointers, the first one is by Sabonis at the start of the clip, Yugoslavia ****s up, Vlade Divac loses the ball at the end with a travel, he was 18 at the time. Drazen Petrovic was a part of that team too.. The USSR had another freak center along with Sabonis, Vladimir Tkachenko who was 7 foot 3 250lb, they bascially ahd the twin towers..

team USA beat USSR 87 to 85 in the finals with this team

* 1986 World Championship: finished 1st among 24 teams

David Robinson, Rony Seikaly, Sean Elliott, Steve Kerr, Tyrone "Muggsy" Bogues, Brian Shaw, Charles D. Smith, Kenny Smith, Derrick McKey, Tommy Amaker, Tom Hammonds, Armon Gilliam (Coach: Lute Olson)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FI...d_Championship

Post Re: Arvydas Sabonis

Quote Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
    what i remember best about sabonis was that laser shot he had outside 15 feet! that thing had no arch yet he nailed it every time!

to me, he was dirk with a great post game.

Quote Originally Posted by PaPaK
    Ive seen limited footage, you know, coz i wasnt even alive when they played

and definitely as in my my opinion, im not claiming its the word of god

If you are old enough to see Sabonis play you are old enough to have watched Hakeem....but I get you man.

in 96-97 he hit 49 three pointers with 37% accuracy, while Dirk hits around 80 per season on average, with 38% average

Hakeen was great but i prefer Sabo.. better shot, better passer, greater physicals presence, both had awesome post moves
    Last edited by PaPaK; 09-10-2010 at 12:16 PM.

in 96-97 he hit 49 three pointers with 37% accuracy, while Dirk hits around 80 per season on average, with 38% average

Hakeen was great but i prefer Sabo.. better shot, better passer, greater physicals presence, both had awesome post moves
    Better outside shot yes but from in close give me Hakeem.

Also Hakeem was much more imposing he was a far better shot blocker than Sabonis....and Hakeem had the handle of a much smaller man and the best footwork I have ever seen on a guy that tall.

I'm not sure how prime Dream would have stacked up with [healthy knees] Sabonis but I do know that it would have been an epic matchup.

true

Loved Sabas in his prime, definitely one of the best centers, ever. Too bad most in US missed it, even old and broken he was solid player in NBA, imagine what he could do in the prime, DRob could testify

name a better center. Shaq? in real basketball he would foul out in the first quarter

You are a dumb ass. You easily forget that a 22 yrs.old Shaquille O'Neal won the 1994 FIBA World MVP.

Sabonis was a good basketball player, but he's not as good as Hakeem and Shaq.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    You are a dumb ass. You easily forget that a 22 yrs.old Shaquille O'Neal won the 1994 FIBA World MVP.

Sabonis was a good basketball player, but he's not as good as Hakeem and Shaq.

Ouch.

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

best center ever
    What?

Wilt, Russel, Jabaar, Hakeem, Shaq, Robinson, Ewing, Mourning, etc. I would be shocked if he was even a top 10.

Sabonis is becoming the Len Bias of centers. The huge "what if", except in this case, it's, "what if" he played in the NBA sooner. Nothing more than speculative statements that can't be proven.

Let's not forget the guy went back to the euroleague after he was a lame 6/4, 15 min a game player in the NBA. . .and won the MVP. The standards over there aren't exactly that high. Tiago Splitter just won the Spanish League MVP, and his stats were laughable.

what a ****ing ignorant ****. there is more to basketball than the NBA you do realize that? and you do realize that Sabonis was still a decent player in the NBA as a 31 year old with shattered knees, even as a 35 year old he got to the western conference finals with the Blazers, you do realize that?

Its not a "what if", the guy was dominant, easily the best European player ever even compared to Petrovic, Nowitzki, Divac etc. Its not a "what if" if you watched him play which i know for a fact you didnt otherwise you wouldnt sound like a ****ing moron

yeah lets not forget he went back to Euroleague.. AS A 39 YEAR OLD where he led his team to the top 16 stage and was named the regular season MVP.

The others you mentioned are arguably better but he was ****ing better than Russel, Robinson, Ewing and Mourning