Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default RickBarry on physicality: "You allow more, you give advantage to less skilled player"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3l8DIL4pf8&t=1m13s

Rick talking about the difference between regular season and playoffs. Have to agree with him here.. it doesnt make any sense at all that there is such a drastic difference between regular season and playoffs as there is now.

And it does hurt the super skilled guys in favor of thug ball .. I was shocked in second half game 3, Steph Curry took his FIRST free throws of the series. Like.. what in flying fk.. the MVP gets tossed around all game long, and cant even get a bone tossed, no superstar calls nothin. I remeber ten years ago, another super skilled player by the name of Dirk Nowitszki was getting 90+ FTs in a series, not allowed to bump him off ball, couldnt touch his elbow on the shot, you couldnt hit him. Every defender in the playoffs so far has been slapping the shit out of not just steph, but all warriors on their 3's, and its absolutely never called.

part of it is curry's fault for not going 100% when he gets knocked up, and not forcing the refs to blow whistle, but damn, I've never seen an MVP calibre player get less respect from the refs.. absolutely no respect.

I usually hit open layups

Default Re: RickBarry on physicality: "You allow more, you give advantage to less skilled player"

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3l8DIL4pf8&t=1m13s

Rick talking about the difference between regular season and playoffs. Have to agree with him here.. it doesnt make any sense at all that there is such a drastic difference between regular season and playoffs as there is now.

And it does hurt the super skilled guys in favor of thug ball .. I was shocked in second half game 3, Steph Curry took his FIRST free throws of the series. Like.. what in flying fk.. the MVP gets tossed around all game long, and cant even get a bone tossed, no superstar calls nothin. I remeber ten years ago, another super skilled player by the name of Dirk Nowitszki was getting 90+ FTs in a series, not allowed to bump him off ball, couldnt touch his elbow on the shot, you couldnt hit him. Every defender in the playoffs so far has been slapping the shit out of not just steph, but all warriors on their 3's, and its absolutely never called.

part of it is curry's fault for not going 100% when he gets knocked up, and not forcing the refs to blow whistle, but damn, I've never seen an MVP calibre player get less respect from the refs.. absolutely no respect.
    This is how NBA semi-rig games. They'll do their best to try to get it to 7 games, then go in favor of Warriors to anoint their new King.

Default Re: RickBarry on physicality: "You allow more, you give advantage to less skilled player"

Please man. Physicality is a part of the game. This isn't tennis, golf or baseball. As long as guys are guarding each other, fighting through picks, banging in the post, boxing out, going after loose balls, etc, it's a part of the game. You have to deal with it. No, I didn't say Bad Boys thug ball, I meant physicality that is natural to the game. Asking to eliminate physicality is simply impossible. Curry is obviously at a disadvantage because he is small and doesn't possess the athleticism to blow by guys. But it is what it is.

Superstars in general get less calls today than before.
    Even Lebron who plays in the paint 90% of the time is averaging like 4 fta per game.
    And Iggy hacks Lebron a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Please man. Physicality is a part of the game. This isn't tennis, golf or baseball. As long as guys are guarding each other, fighting through picks, banging in the post, boxing out, going after loose balls, etc, it's a part of the game. You have to deal with it. No, I didn't say Bad Boys thug ball, I meant physicality that is natural to the game. Asking to eliminate physicality is simply impossible. Curry is obviously at a disadvantage because he is small and doesn't possess the athleticism to blow by guys. But it is what it is.
    yes true, but you have to admit that Curry gets absolutely no respect from the refs at all.. he's averaging 1.3 FTs a game in the Finals. An MVP caliber player has never gotten less whistles for how much theyre hit. And like I mentioned, you can look up super skilled players that arent adept at attacking the rim, and they still all got at least 5+ FTs a game, Rick was one of them back when the game was supposedly tougher.

It sets a tone when you allow defenders to do whatever they want to the star. Imagine if refs called bron for every stiff arm or travel .. ? We saw that in game 2 and look what happened .. he crumbled. It completely sets the tone for the game.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Lebron literally playing football out there, wrestling Curry at the three point line

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    yes true, but you have to admit that Curry gets absolutely no respect from the refs at all.. he's averaging 1.3 FTs a game in the Finals. An MVP caliber player has never gotten less whistles for how much theyre hit. And like I mentioned, you can look up super skilled players that arent adept at attacking the rim, and they still all got at least 5+ FTs a game, Rick was one of them back when the game was supposedly tougher.

It sets a tone when you allow defenders to do whatever they want to the star. Imagine if refs called bron for every stiff arm or travel .. ? We saw that in game 2 and look what happened .. he crumbled. It completely sets the tone for the game.
    Players get rewarded for being aggressive. Curry has seldom attacked the paint and he plays too much off ball this series. I do think he does get fouled sometimes fighting through picks but refs seldom call those. I think he needs to dominate the ball more with the high p&r and just let him create for himself or others. In that scenario, he'll naturally get more calls.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Curry has had no problem with physicality

Last year in the Finals Curry saw an even more physical line up thrown at him and he put up 26/6/6 on 60% TS...it wasn't a problem

This time around he isn't producing as much not because of extra physicality...the Cavs line up is less physical than it was last year...the only thing different is that Curry severely injured his MCL earlier this playoff

What changed from last years finals to this years?

It was not the physicality, it was Curry's knee

http://images.performgroup.com/di/li...g?t=1481141540

That happened less than a month ago and Curry has played a dozen hard games on it

It's painfully obvious that Curry is not 100%

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    Curry has had no problem with physicality

Last year in the Finals Curry saw an even more physical line up thrown at him and he put up 26/6/6 on 60% TS...it wasn't a problem

This time around he isn't producing as much not because of extra physicality...the Cavs line up is less physical than it was last year...the only thing different is that Curry severely injured his MCL earlier this playoff

What changed from last years finals to this years?

It was not the physicality, it was Curry's knee

http://images.performgroup.com/di/li...g?t=1481141540

That happened less than a month ago and Curry has played a dozen hard games on it

It's painfully obvious that Curry is not 100%
    Dude you're bordering on Laz/Wilt pathetic with your defense of Curry. Come on man, don't stoop so low.

I can't stand flopping... but if Curry flopped like Durant, Westbrook, Harden, etc. he would average 8+ FT's per game. Instead he chooses to have some self-respect, and just plays ball.

NBA Superstar

Most of what Rick Barry was saying made total sense in terms of reasoning and explanation.

The only issue is I haven't noticed an obscene amount of physicality in comparison to the regular season. I fully admit I could just not be watching closely enough though. I mean, I've seen the struggles through screens at times, but I guess I'll have to look more closely tonight to get a better feel.

I will say this, and it's kind of depressing, but I think Stephen Curry could be a walking advertisement for why all the players in the NBA who exaggerate contact or flail to draw a call do exactly what they do—it works.

Reggie Miller faked contact in true flopping form on many occasions. But sometimes, he was just making a show of the illegal contact that was actually occurring. If he did nothing, teams would have gotten away far more often at illegally impeding him.

That said, Stephen Curry has done just fine for himself so I can't really question anything he does or doesn't do (and he should probably be commended for not flopping).

Edit: BD beat me to it.

Local High School Star 3LiftHeatCurse's Avatar

I was looking at replays of Game 3..... and it was DISGUSTING to see the Cavs bully and shove and FOUL Curry and nothing was being called.

JR Smith straight up hacked Curry in the 1st quarter across the arms and nothing was called.

Richard Jefferson stopped chasing Barnes and went out of his way for 5 seconds to shove Curry out of bounds

Curry got open on a screen for a 3pt attempt, and Tristan Thompson + Richard Jefferson leaped INTO Curry to contest the shot and Thompson landed ON Curry making him fall to the ground and nothing was called

The entire team is playing thug ball on Curry, including Lebron who straight up SHOVED Curry in his back after a whistle in Game 3.

I agree with Rick Barry. They shouldn't allow thug ball. If your team sucks that you need to start grabbing arms and jerseys and shoving people in order to stop them, then you don't deserve to win.
    Last edited by 3LiftHeatCurse; 06-10-2016 at 07:50 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Dude you're bordering on Laz/Wilt pathetic with your defense of Curry. Come on man, don't stoop so low.
    Those guys actually have brain-cells and coherent arguments. Lol why insult Laz and Wilt like that?

He is true.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LiftHeatCurse
    I was looking at replays of Game 3..... and it was DISGUSTING to see the Cavs bully and shove and FOUL Curry and nothing was being called.

JR Smith straight up hacked Curry in the 1st quarter across the arms and nothing was called.

Richard Jefferson stopped chasing Barnes and went out of his way for 5 seconds to shove Curry out of bounds

Curry got open on a screen for a 3pt attempt, and Tristan Thompson + Richard Jefferson leaped INTO Curry to contest the shot and Thompson landed ON Curry making him fall to the ground and nothing was called

The entire team is playing thug ball on Curry, including Lebron who straight up SHOVED Curry in his back after a whistle in Game 3.

I agree with Rick Barry. They shouldn't allow thug ball. If your team sucks that you need to start grabbing arms and jerseys and shoving people in order to stop them, then you don't deserve to win.
    yup.. this is how jordan mustve felt against the bad boy pistons. But Curry is even smaller and less built than jordan was so its magnified. At least MJ got to the line though. I'll never understand why it is you can grab, hold, push, body check, etc off the ball, but if you so much as lay a finger to a guy playing on the ball, and it's a foul. What kind of stupid shit is that? Is contact allowed or not ?