Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Local High School Star KirbyPls's Avatar

Default Re: Kevin Durant: "Allen Iverson is pound for pound the greatest player ever"

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    Muggsy Bogues is the greatest player pound for pound, inch for inch

5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Kevin Durant: "Allen Iverson is pound for pound the greatest player ever"

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie43
    I loved Iverson and no offense to you but I think he was officiated just right back then and actually got a ton of calls due to his style of play and the fact that he was small and was easilly affected by any type of contact ( some of which he did sell to draw some fouls) I remember he was always complaining to the refs too.

Maybe what you meant was Iverson playing in todays rules
    When a poster says they loved a player that had more glitz, more shine, scoring titles, more attention than a rival less heralded contemporary at the position his own sceen-name its a usually a lie. I think you are a hater.

Iverson had the most stop/go, speed up/slow down, change of direction, quick get you off balance game the league has ever seen. Took 28 shots per game and was nowhere near the top in FTA. Paul Pierce was way ahead of him. AI didn't even make 10 per game that year. Only Shaq drew more attention. AI was also doubled after he put the ball down, which leads to more fouls. Dirk who played far less minutes, shot ten less times, was almost strictly a jump shooter, that didn't dribble much at that time had 7 FTA a game.

Donaghy writes:
    "Allen Iverson provides a good example of a player who generated strong reaction, both positive and negative, within the corps of NBA referees. For instance, veteran referee Steve Javie hated Allen Iverson and was loathe [sic] to give him a favorable call. If Javie was on the court when Iverson was playing, I would always bet on the other team to win or at least cover the spread. No matter how many times Iverson hit the floor, he rarely saw the foul line." We all know that the commissioner hated Iverson. And many refs had to follow how the commissioner told them to call games and seemingly, helped end his career prematurely. Of course you are going to say the commissioner was indifferent to him.

But of course you saw something else.
    Last edited by Pointguard; 09-17-2014 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    When a poster says they loved a player that had more glitz, more shine, scoring titles, more attention than a rival less heralded contemporary at the position his own sceen-name its a usually a lie. I think you are a hater.

Iverson had the most stop/go, speed up/slow down, change of direction, quick get you off balance game the league has ever seen. Took 28 shots per game and was nowhere near the top in FTA. Paul Pierce was way ahead of him. AI didn't even make 10 per game that year. Only Shaq drew more attention. AI was also doubled after he put the ball down, which leads to more fouls. Dirk who played far less minutes, shot ten less times, was almost strictly a jump shooter, that didn't dribble much at that time had 7 FTA a game.

Donaghy writes:
    "Allen Iverson provides a good example of a player who generated strong reaction, both positive and negative, within the corps of NBA referees. For instance, veteran referee Steve Javie hated Allen Iverson and was loathe [sic] to give him a favorable call. If Javie was on the court when Iverson was playing, I would always bet on the other team to win or at least cover the spread. No matter how many times Iverson hit the floor, he rarely saw the foul line." We all know that the commissioner hated Iverson. And many refs had to follow how the commissioner told them to call games and seemingly, helped end his career prematurely. Of course you are going to say the commissioner was indifferent to him.

But of course you saw something else.
    Pointing out the faults of a player you like is being a hater now? The only times I rooted against Iverson was obviously when he plays the Pacers. In fact one of my fave nba games ever was when he lead the East to a victory coming from a huge deficit against the West in the Allstar game.

In your post that I quoted you told that Iverson took a pounding "And AI didn't complain" you and I and the whole board knows that was a lie.

How many free throw attempts does Iverson really need when he was always one of the league leaders in free throws attempted even as a guard. He placed 2nd in attempts three times and even led the league in 2005-06. He got to the line more times in his career than Jordan himself.

Some refs probably hated Iverson's incessant complaining but are you really blaming them plus the commissioner for the reasons that Iverson was out of the league? He was one of the NBA's most popular players that generated huge revenues for the league so why would the Commissioner have an agenda against him?

NBA sixth man of the year

I'm glad he is gone. A 40% shooter that needed a team full of role players to succeed.

5-time NBA All-Star

Pointing out the faults of a player you like is being a hater now? The only times I rooted against Iverson was obviously when he plays the Pacers. In fact one of my fave nba games ever was when he lead the East to a victory coming from a huge deficit against the West in the Allstar game.

In your post that I quoted you told that Iverson took a pounding "And AI didn't complain" you and I and the whole board knows that was a lie.
    I said I think you are a hater. AI was getting slammed and not getting calls. He was one that deserved to complain. He did complain but not more than your namesake Reggie Miller did and Reggie rarely drived.
    How many free throw attempts does Iverson really need when he was always one of the league leaders in free throws attempted even as a guard. He placed 2nd in attempts three times and even led the league in 2005-06. He got to the line more times in his career than Jordan himself.
    You are going by total FTA which AI is punished because he rarely misses games. He was never first in FTA per game and was only tied for second once in '05. And it was never a question of how many does he need, its about how many weren't called. Iverson would get bumped and it affected his shot most of the time.
    Some refs probably hated Iverson's incessant complaining but are you really blaming them plus the commissioner for the reasons that Iverson was out of the league? He was one of the NBA's most popular players that generated huge revenues for the league so why would the Commissioner have an agenda against him?
    Iverson was super popular, was still a very good player and there were plenty of teams that could have used both. You can play like you don't know.

Guy, most of the time when somebody doesn't like you, it isn't about money. Iverson was hip hop. He made tats popular. He interviewed different. He brought a completely new and different in-crowd to the sport. Even after his first year there were talks that they would never let Duncan go to Philly. The commissioner was censoring Iverson and Kobe's lyrics. You think he liked doing that?

This clown is at it again and now Iverson is the beneficiary to his knob-slopping.

If you are an overrated PG, "Pointguard" WILL suck you off. FOR FREE.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii

This clown is at it again and now Iverson is the beneficiary to his knob-slopping.

If you are an overrated PG, "Pointguard" WILL suck you off. FOR FREE.

I'm not a hater. You live under a rug and hate everybody that doesn't hate like you do. You hate people you have no clue about because that's your energy level. It won't get better for you until you see the good in others. There will always be more medication, more darkness, more pitiful drivel from you. Its the way you roll.

I said I think you are a hater. AI was getting slammed and not getting calls. He was one that deserved to complain. He did complain but not more than your namesake Reggie Miller did and Reggie rarely drived.
    First you say Ai didn't complain, now you say he did complain but not as much as Miller? Make up your mind, was he a complainer or not?

You are going by total FTA which AI is punished because he rarely misses games. He was never first in FTA per game and was only tied for second once in '05. And it was never a question of how many does he need, its about how many weren't called. Iverson would get bumped and it affected his shot most of the time.
    AI led the league in free throw attempts (829) and free throws per game (11.5) in 2005-06 all this while missing ten games and as I have said he finished second 3 times. No need to lie man, it is very easy to lookup.

Iverson was super popular, was still a very good player and there were plenty of teams that could have used both. You can play like you don't know.

Guy, most of the time when somebody doesn't like you, it isn't about money. Iverson was hip hop. He made tats popular. He interviewed different. He brought a completely new and different in-crowd to the sport.
    Even after his first year there were talks that they would never let Duncan go to Philly. The commissioner was censoring Iverson and Kobe's lyrics. You think he liked doing that?
    Agreed with the bolded.

The truth is I really liked Iverson as a player because of his heart, attitude and skill plus goat level athletic ability. He was a non conformist that played and acted the way he wanted which made him one of the most popular players ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotlantadude81
    I'm glad he is gone. A 40% shooter that needed a team full of role players to succeed.
    Which players don't need a team full of role players to succeed ?

jesus the ignorance today

5-time NBA All-Star

First you say Ai didn't complain, now you say he did complain but not as much as Miller? Make up your mind, was he a complainer or not?
    Its not complaining if you are the most beat up guy in the sport and aren't acknowledged for it. He always had people swiping at him, grabbing him and off balance. Even other refs acknowledged it.

AI led the league in free throw attempts (829) and free throws per game (11.5) in 2005-06 all this while missing ten games and as I have said he finished second 3 times. No need to lie man, it is very easy to lookup.
    in '03 AI was second in total attempts wasn't second in FTA per game. At the very least Tmac was ahead him. In '05 Shaq was ahead of him in FTA per game when Amare was in first place. On Iverson's basketball reference page they didn't acknowledge FTA per game lead in '06 but you are right on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by kurple
    finally iverson getting some love

i get that the league turned on him, but the fans?

the advanced stats generation
    they were showing some of his games on NBATV. I was watching him drop 50 as a rookie... he was obviously a chucker then, but I don't think once he got some experience under his belt he was "a chucker."

Dudes don't understand how ridiculously hard it is to play 46-47 minutes in the ****ing playoffs... as a guard who is your team's only scorer. Watching the 2001 Sixers, it was like a blooper reel when Iverson didn't get a touch on offense. Not to mention how many times he spoon fed someone and they blew it.

People who didn't see it cannot comprehend how bad that team was on offense. People compare Bron's Cleveland team. No contest. AI didn't have one knock down shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Isiah Thomas says hi.
    Edit: Thomas can't play minutes like AI. He also had a much better team.

-Smak
    Last edited by ILLsmak; 09-18-2014 at 04:36 PM.

High School Varsity 6th Man

I would take I. Thomas all day every day.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

AI > Thomas

Isiah is the better leader though.

Its not complaining if you are the most beat up guy in the sport and aren't acknowledged for it. He always had people swiping at him, grabbing him and off balance. Even other refs acknowledged it.

in '03 AI was second in total attempts wasn't second in FTA per game. At the very least Tmac was ahead him. In '05 Shaq was ahead of him in FTA per game when Amare was in first place. On Iverson's basketball reference page they didn't acknowledge FTA per game lead in '06 but you are right on that one.
    You just lied again. Iverson and Shaq were listed as tied in '05 with 10.5 ft's per game. This number was rounded off and upon further computation Iverson was actually leading with 10.48 ft's per game to Shaq's 10.47. Iverson also lead in total fta's in '05 with 786 to Shaq's 765

5-time NBA All-Star

You just lied again. Iverson and Shaq were listed as tied in '05 with 10.5 ft's per game. This number was rounded off and upon further computation Iverson was actually leading with 10.48 ft's per game to Shaq's 10.47. Iverson also lead in total fta's in '05 with 786 to Shaq's 765
    really! I did a quick overview calculation - We're talking tiny minutia which has no impact on the bigger argument so I won't dig deeper. So does this make you a liar for your '03 statement??? I take it that you overlooked something and you did. No Big deal. You are arguing with me that the only guy in the league that could throw MJ (probably the most balanced, coordinated, athletic, fundamentally sound backcourt players ever) off balance twice in two seconds could somehow take 28 shots per game and not get more than 10 FTA per game? This is with Shaq, giving AI major cudos for taking it year after year in a humble way. And you are still arguing that he was called approapiately.

After I showed you a quote from a another ref talking about how Iverson saw the hardwood without compensation you continued on your path, You didn't even know the commisioner's disdain for Iverson. Heck, you didn't even know the reasons. You could just say my bad, or we can continue.