Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

Default Re: Michael Jordan in Today's League: Better or Worse?

the general consensus is worse

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave
    There's no era in the NBA where a prime Jordan wouldn't score his minimum 30+ ppg.

There's no magic defensive scheme or zone or Tom Thibodou voodoo that changes this fundamental fact:

There's no one at 6-6 or taller that can stay in front of Jordan (prime) laterally.

The man had the quickness of a extremely fast 6'0 or 6'1 player in a 6'6 frame with a large wing span to go with that.

So you can either put a taller defender on him and get blown past, or a smaller defender who's quicker but one he can easily shoot over.

If you can't stop the guy from getting his shot off, you're not going to stop him from scoring. Again. And again. And again.

Combine the speed with incredible agility and leaping ability means he could manufacture a quality shot virtually every time down the floor.
    Eh. You're right. Almost all 6'0" and 6'6" would get destroyed by him. But intermediate guards (6'3" Gary Payton, 6'3" Joe Dumars) gave him the most trouble.

I think Tony Allen would have the perfect blend of attributes to guard Jordan.
    Last edited by Rocketswin2013; 09-24-2015 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketswin2013
    Eh. You're right. Almost all 6'0" and 6'6" would get destroyed by him. But intermediate guards (6'3" Gary Payton, 6'3" Joe Dumars) gave him the most trouble.

I think Tony Allen would be the perfect blend of attributes to guard Jordan.
    Tony Allen would hold him to 5 points on 20 FGA.

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator
    the general consensus is worse
    Yeah, but that's limited to 13-15 year old LeBron fans who never saw MJ play.

MJ would still burn TA. Allen is the best perimeter defender in the game today, but he wouldn't slow down the GOAT.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Yeah, but that's limited to 13-15 year old LeBron fans who never saw MJ play.
    We all saw MJ get carried to multiple rings in the weak era of the 90's...

They almost won the ship without him.

MJ was just a chucker on a stacked team. Albeit, a very good chucker...

A lot better than Kobe but not quite the overall player LeBron is, or the all-around scorer that KD is.

He'd likely be third best player in todays game. There's no shame in that.

I think Tony would have some success against mj, but it wouldn't be sustainable over the course of a series or anything like that. 2nd 3peat mj he'd probably give fits though. Seems like alot of people here forget 2nd 3peat was really an entirely different player.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaniiiia
    We all saw MJ get carried to multiple rings in the weak era of the 90's...

They almost won the ship without him.

MJ was just a chucker on a stacked team. Albeit, a very good chucker...

A lot better than Kobe but not quite the overall player LeBron is, or the all-around scorer that KD is.

He'd likely be third best player in todays game. There's no shame in that.
    I rest my case your honor.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

or the all-around scorer that KD is.
    This guy can't post, overpower inside, dominate the paint, or make shots under duress like MJ... It's not even close... Durant is a bailout offensive player - most of his offense is bail-out jumpshots.. Don't compare that type of limited, predictable repertoire to the unlimited things MJ did.

not quite the overall player LeBron is,
    MJ's style was more effective.. First of all, he had good efficiency at high shot volume, since his efficiency was elite at the additional 1-on-1 and midrange required of high volume shooters. Otoh, we saw Lebron's 1-on-1 fail in the 2015 Finals because he COULDN'T shoot a good percentage at high volume - he's simply bad at the additional 1-on-1 and midrange required of high volume shooters - this is statistical fact.

In addition to shooting well at high volume, MJ's style also succeeded because his buckets usually came AFTER running off-ball, so he didn't use live-dribbles as often - his lack of ball-dominance allowed the Bulls to run an equal-opportunity offense (triangle) and therefore the best brand of basketball.. This is another stark contrast from today's so-called best player - Lebron's ball-dominance prevents his teams from running equal-opportunity offenses and the best brand of basketball, which allows equal or less-talented opponents to pull upsets by playing a better brand of basketball (2009, 2011, 2014).

Also, there's a 3rd reason why MJ's style ended up working for the Bulls - MJ's off-ball style of play increased the APG and assist percentage of teammates like Pippen, while Lebron's ball-dominance craters the APG and assist % of his teammates (Wade, Love, Bosh, Kyrie, Mo Williams).. With Lebron's style decreasing the assists of teammates, it's no surprise that all his TEAMS have lower assist frequency.

Banned

Sorry to upset you in the other thread 3ball, but i'm not interested in reading your garbage copy pastas.

MJ would die in KD's situation without a head coach and with an inefficient, erratic second option and nobody inside to take the attention off of him.

KD without Westbrook was doubled more than MJ ever was, and he still put up arguably the most impressive season in the modern era.

That's when I knew he was better than Jordan.

Stalkerforlife a pedo

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    MJ would still burn TA. Allen is the best perimeter defender in the game today, but he wouldn't slow down the GOAT.
    IMO, people overrate Payton's defense on Jordan

Jordan averaged 30.5ppg on decent shooting (48%) in the regular season.

In that playoffs, in my opinion, Jordan was basically a shadow of his former self (that season in general imo).

That being said, Ill say one thing.

While Jordan, and by extention, many players are more talented from that era, are more talented than some of the players of today (though we are unfortunate with injuries today, and tbh, imo, 4 of the top 15 peak wise are from the 2000s-2015 era (namely, Shaq, Lebron, Duncan, KG, and I am REALLY high on Curry, after taking part in the realgm peaks project. just sayin, some wilt proppers that try to diss realgm are bull-sh*tters. like, that Darkjaws dumb@$$ is a hypocritical piece of $hit)

However, I will say this, I believe that even though Jordan might be more successful in this era (I think no handchecking would help him, offensively, but more advanced defenses will cancel that out, so it will more or less be the same. spacing might help him, as I thinik he will be a good 3 point shooter in teh modern era, as he will probably tweak his stroke a bit)

But I definately believe that the teams today are far better than the teams of the past, other than some super teams of course.

Like, alot of people try to bash the warriors, but people dont understand that they won by an average of 7.8 points, In the playoffs.

In my research, even the top ATG teams rarely have higher "point differentials" than 10. the bulls in the 72 win season had a 10.6+ win mark.
    Yes, pace played a part in this, but still, they were deserved champions. people who are saying the finals are rigged are absolutely wankers.
    Last edited by DavisIsMyUniBro; 09-24-2015 at 04:54 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Sorry to upset you in the other thread 3ball, but i'm not interested in reading your garbage copy pastas.

MJ would die in KD's situation without a head coach and with an inefficient, erratic second option and nobody inside to take the attention off of him.

KD without Westbrook was doubled more than MJ ever was, and he still put up arguably the most impressive season in the modern era.

meltdown

MJ plus Harden and Westbrook = Dynasty

meltdown

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    meltdown

MJ plus Harden and Westbrook = Dynasty
    Ah, it's YOU again.... sigh.

Just suck my dick already, get it over with...

All these flirtatious replies from you. It's weird.

Poor mans Wade. Not sure if that's better or worse to you.