College superstar

Default Better to build around - Perimeter scorers vs All-around Perimeter players

individual scorers can put the team on their back if their offense isn't going according to plan, whereas the all-around player will be steady throughout and here or there break the offense when need be.

who is easier to build around, and in the long run, better to build around?

Default Re: Better to build around - Perimeter scorers vs All-around Perimeter players (LeBron)

As far as perimeter players go, all-around players (MJ, Bean, Bran, Magic, Bird, Oscar, West, Wade, etc.) are more successful and held on greater esteem than guys who were mainly scorers (Melo, Nique, Bernard King,etc)

Default Re: Better to build around - Perimeter scorers vs All-around Perimeter players (LeBron)

Perimeter Scorers with the ability to do other things are the best perimeter players.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Perimeter Scorers with the ability to do other things are the best perimeter players.
    would you take kawhi/george over curry/melo?

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    No.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Default Re: Better to build around - Perimeter scorers vs All-around Perimeter players

All-around players. That is why a player like Pippen is better to build around than pure scorers like Carmelo or Wilkins. If I recall correctly, Bernard King and Wilkins never got past the 2nd round and Carmelo has only done it once (hell, Carmelo has gotten to the 2nd round only twice in 11 years). It also is no coincidence the one year Carmelo got past the 2nd round was with Billups there as the team leader (not the best player but the leader).

There are limits to pure scorers. Denver got rid of Carmelo for several good role players and actually improved...players like Carmelo or Wilkins can lead to team success only in limited situations, i.e. Chicago...Don't expect NY to successfully build a contender around Carmelo...

What makes LeBron the best is he can score at a 27-30 ppg level while playing great defense and running the offense to keep others involved.

Default Re: Better to build around - Perimeter scorers vs All-around Perimeter players

I would generally take a perimeter scorer over a perimeter all-around, here is why:

Best way to win in basketball is team play, obviously. Having great ball movement is the best bet to win games. Having perimeters scorers and teammates that complement the team with reliable ball movement is perfect.

While a perimeter all around player is overall more valuable, but to truly take advantage of his skills you will have to rely on him to make the plays. So what happens when he has a night off, or if the other team focuses their defense around him? Game over.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock
    All-around players. That is why a player like Pippen is better to build around than pure scorers like Carmelo or Wilkins. If I recall correctly, Bernard King and Wilkins never got past the 2nd round and Carmelo has only done it once (hell, Carmelo has gotten to the 2nd round only twice in 11 years). It also is no coincidence the one year Carmelo got past the 2nd round was with Billups there as the team leader (not the best player but the leader).

There are limits to pure scorers. Denver got rid of Carmelo for several good role players and actually improved...players like Carmelo or Wilkins can lead to team success only in limited situations, i.e. Chicago...Don't expect NY to successfully build a contender around Carmelo...

What makes LeBron the best is he can score at a 27-30 ppg level while playing great defense and running the offense to keep others involved.

You do understand that basketball is a team game, right? Players don't get past rounds of playoffs; teams do.

National High School Star sick_brah07's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    You do understand that basketball is a team game, right? Players don't get past rounds of playoffs; teams do.
    this isnt true nikka, the players get past as well who the hell playin round two if the players dont go nikka

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    I would take Curry and Melo! Kawhi and Paul are both among the best SF's in the L. In the all around sense, they along with Iggy are only behind Lebron at SF. The problem is Curry and Melo are so dominant scoring that defenses FEAR THEM MORE that Leonard and George. Also keep in mind that Curry is very good-great passer and Melo is arguably the best rebounding SF in the L. The most premium asset in basketball is alpha dog scoring. And the ONLY stat that guarantees a win is points. U can lock down an average to very good scorer. A true alpha dog is gonna get his points regardless and be clutch along with it. Anytime a guy requires double teams or alters a defense, that's powerful stuff! And it can't be minimized.

But no doubt about it, u can't beat guys like Lebron, MJ, Kobe, Wade, West, Bird, Magic, Big O, etc. who give u the best of both worlds! Besides those kind or legends, I'm taking the Niques, Durants, DrJs, Kings, Melos, and Gervins next! No disrespect to guys like Leonard, George, or even Pippen, but I would rather have Durant, Dr.J, Melo, or Nique over those guys!

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Exactly right! If u get a great scorer and great all around player in one , u can't beat that. I think to qualify u have to be an alpha dog and be great in at least two other facets (rebounding, passing, defense) There aren't many guys in NBA history who did both over a long period of time. Perimeter wise, I would say under 20 players would qualify. And when u throw in great defense, the list gets real small:

MJ
    Kobe
    Bron
    Wade
    West
    Hondo

PG's who could qualify and showed they are alpha dogs when called on:

Frazier
    Payton
    Paul
    Arguably Westbrook

U have guys who are great all around and very good scorers, but they are missing the alpha dog gene. Pippen in particular stands out to me. I think Pippen was an alpha gene away from being the 2nd GOAT SF and a top 15 GOAT overall kind of player. He has six rings, is arguably the best defensive perimeter player of all time, redefined the SF position, has two gold medals, All Star Game MVP, 7 All NBA teams, and 10 All Defensive teams. What held Pippen back from being a top 15 GOAT was the alpha dog gene factor. He was too revolutionary and too accomplished otherwise!

I think you can easily build around any perimeter player who:
    - is able to play large minutes being given key responsibilities, including in the closing moments of the game
    - is an unmistakeable net positive on the floor... but it doesn't really matter why: they can be all-around, two way (scoring + defense), or so elite at scoring that it compensates for the rest