Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Default Re: 35 mins of Bill Russell's last NBA game (against Wilt, too)

Quote Originally Posted by Fawker
    i want to learn
    dude you didn't answer. when exactly did the "modern era" begin?

Was it when 40 y.o. Kareem was using Olajuwon to wipe the sweat off his jersey? Or was it earlier, when Moses Malone was teaching Hakeem how to play in college?

When exactly was this "modern era"? Was it when they did away with handchecking? Or was it when they allowed flopping for like 10 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Please, Pistol Pete wasn't modern. That's an insult to Maravich. He was post-modern. Most modern guards couldn't replicate in an empty gym the things he was doing in NBA games.
    Agreed. I STILL haven't seen ANYONE else duplicate what he was doing 40 years ago. Not only that, he didn't need to palm or carry the ball, either. Take that away from today's NBA players and they wouldn't get the ball across half court. In fact, the game would slow to a complete crawl. Teams would be inbounding the ball back-and-forth all game long.

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi

Was it when 40 y.o. Kareem was using Olajuwon to wipe the sweat off his jersey? Or was it earlier, when Moses Malone was teaching Hakeem how to play in college?

When exactly was this "modern era"? Was it when they did away with handchecking? Or was it when they allowed flopping for like 10 years?
    He never bit. I was truly hoping he would, but alas,...

And yes, you are spot on.

The funny thing is that while Maravich was the most "modern" ball handler he was far from being the best player in the league.

His modern superpowers apparently didn't help him dominate the weaker league that supposedly was the NBA at the time. In fact the best PER he ever achieved in his career was 20. He was well known as a loser and a chucker at the time.

Casual fans overrate ball handling, and confuse the spectacular with the effective.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Bill Russell = Joakim Noah
    So you're saying that Bill Russell would be on the All-NBA 1st Team if he played today? I agree.

kings fan

6 minutes in. Dunks, post ups, jump shots, crossovers, too many fouls. Tell me the game has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    So you're saying that Bill Russell would be on the All-NBA 1st Team if he played today? I agree.
    And DPOY, let's not forget.

6 minutes in. Dunks, post ups, jump shots, crossovers, too many fouls. Tell me the game has changed.
    But, alas, 5 minutes is the modern ISHer's threshold.

that was some terrible basketball

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Please educate all of us here, as to WHEN the "modern era" first began...
    1980s

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jzek
    1980s
    post NBA/ABA merger at the very earliest

I mean honestly if you watch that video in its entirety and you believe the level of play hasn't gone up. you just don't understand basketball or needs to have your internet access privilege revoked at your retirement home.

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    They could, they were just taught to use their right more often than not with the thought that your dominant hand should always be the one shooting or dribbling. Only switching to the left when the defender goes after it or driving to the left....And even then some risked going to the left dribbling with their right only switching last second if the defender went after it. That along with the rules of only being able to dribble with your hand hitting the very top of the ball made using your left hand a little more awkward to do. But, I'm not saying they're as good at dribbling as todays players....They wouldn't be able to just run out there and do the stuff you see guys do today if given todays rules. Some like Baylor, Maravich Monroe and a host of others for sure, but most would probably prefer to keep their style of play. Especially Oscar lol. Since every position liked to/almost had to play back to the basket more, the dribbling you see today wasn't AS needed.
    a long ass paragraph to try and rationalize the fact they COULDN'T dribble well even by modern High School standard

there IS no basketball reason for a guard to play back to the basket from the three point line. you only resort to that because you have no confidence in keeping your dribble.

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi

USING OUTLIERS to define eras

f@cking boomer retards.

NBA All-star

Wilt looked awkward on the defensive end, you can tell that he was a ball dominant big.

Russell on the other hand was the mobile big who was great without the ball, and knew what position to run to.

I don't know if Wilt didn't enjoy the finals stage. You can tell that he didn't seem to be giving the full effort on the defensive end, but more grabbing the rebound (i.e. I'll let Russell get his, but I'll be sure we win the board)

You can tell he was comfortable with West trying to carry the scoring load offensively, as well as being the mobile guard that dictates the back court.

I don't know if West ever called out Wilt to say you just gotta shut Russell out of the game, but maybe West felt confident in his ability to carry his team over the edge, because Wilt's production for the team to him was good/great enough as it gets help wise.

Why can't people just admit that the basketball is past eras was crappy? It's like watching a college game with worse defense.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Why can't people just admit that the basketball is past eras was crappy? It's like watching a college game with worse defense.
    they are either old men or just contrarians.