Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Re: 35 mins of Bill Russell's last NBA game (against Wilt, too)

Quote Originally Posted by KBaller33
    But these guards can't dribble with their left hand
    I noticed that too.

lakers getting cheated back than

Quote Originally Posted by KBaller33
    So Russell was 35 here. Can't really judge him. But these guards can't dribble with their left hand
    They could, they were just taught to use their right more often than not with the thought that your dominant hand should always be the one shooting or dribbling. Only switching to the left when the defender goes after it or driving to the left....And even then some risked going to the left dribbling with their right only switching last second if the defender went after it. That along with the rules of only being able to dribble with your hand hitting the very top of the ball made using your left hand a little more awkward to do. But, I'm not saying they're as good at dribbling as todays players....They wouldn't be able to just run out there and do the stuff you see guys do today if given todays rules. Some like Baylor, Maravich Monroe and a host of others for sure, but most would probably prefer to keep their style of play. Especially Oscar lol. Since every position liked to/almost had to play back to the basket more, the dribbling you see today wasn't AS needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fawker
    the **** is up with spacing in those times.

**** that the new top 5 is

jordan
    magic
    bird
    shaq
    duncan

shaq

kareem
    What do you mean?Don't know if I'm understanding what you meant but what do you expect the spacing to be when there's no 3 pointer? Why shoot a long two when you could get in close?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    What do you mean?Don't know if I'm understanding what you meant but what do you expect the spacing to be when there's no 3 pointer? Why shoot a long two when you could get in close?
    the bottom line is that was not modern world format at all. why you defending that prehistoric play?

i'm convinced russel, wilt and others in the era are novelty greats and nothing more.

the bottom line is that was not modern world format at all. why you defending that prehistoric play?
    Yeah...those guys in the 60's couldn't dribble...

How about this goofy 6-5 white kid who played college in the 60's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qv0YS1wHoQ

He was Ricky Rubio, and who could shoot, long before Rubio was.

BTW, and speaking of dribbling...how about these kids from a 1962 video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soLH6bau9uo

I's sure there is also Globtrotter footage, from even before that, in which they put on a dribbling clinic, as well.

BTW, players were NOT allowed to PALM and CARRY the ball back then, either. Today's NBA would never get the ball past half court had they been forced to play in the 60's.

And then you 60's-70's bashers get angry when the newer fans crap on your own eras, spitting poison at the ones who notice that the 80's had no defense compared to nowadays, the 90's had less ball movement and no international competition compared to nowadays, etc.
    Btw, I watched the famous Jordan vs Bryon Russell play again. Can't believe teams back then weren't smart enough to double Jordan in the single most important defensive play of their ****ing history and defenders weren't good enough to keep their defensive balance to save their season (and Bryon had lost his balance in a crucial Finals play again in 1997 ).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Yeah...those guys in the 60's couldn't dribble...

How about this goofy 6-5 white kid who played college in the 60's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qv0YS1wHoQ

He was Ricky Rubio, and who could shoot, long before Rubio was.

BTW, and speaking of dribbling...how about these kids from a 1962 video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soLH6bau9uo

I's sure there is also Globtrotter footage, from even before that, in which they put on a dribbling clinic, as well.

BTW, players were NOT allowed to PALM and CARRY the ball back then, either. Today's NBA would never get the ball past half court had they been forced to play in the 60's.
    Don't resort to vintage GT footage because that is not modern format either. Anyway... no more props to old generations for me. It was just a primitive time I'm sorry. Does that exclude them from being all time greats? No. but they lose major respect from being equal to modern greats.

Don't resort to vintage GT footage because that is not modern format either. Anyway... no more props to old generations for me. It was just a primitive time I'm sorry. Does that exclude them from being all time greats? No. but they lose major respect from being equal to modern greats.
    Please educate all of us here, as to WHEN the "modern era" first began...

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Please educate all of us here, as to WHEN the "modern era" first began...
    Please, Pistol Pete wasn't modern. That's an insult to Maravich. He was post-modern. Most modern guards couldn't replicate in an empty gym the things he was doing in NBA games.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Please, Pistol Pete wasn't modern. That's an insult to Maravich. He was post-modern. Most modern guards couldn't replicate in an empty gym the things he was doing in NBA games.
    Like what exactly?

And then you 60's-70's bashers get angry when the newer fans crap on your own eras, spitting poison at the ones who notice that the 80's had no defense compared to nowadays, the 90's had less ball movement and no international competition compared to nowadays, etc.
    Btw, I watched the famous Jordan vs Bryon Russell play again. Can't believe teams back then weren't smart enough to double Jordan in the single most important defensive play of their ****ing history and defenders weren't good enough to keep their defensive balance to save their season (and Bryon had lost his balance in a crucial Finals play again in 1997 ).
    It's not worth the effort IMO. Though I think you guys enjoy the back-and-forth more than I do, lol.

Banned

i want to learn

Probably the most perfect between the legs pass I've ever seen, barely changed his pace:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y5KAaercTI&t=5m22s