Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Default Re: Ok WTF is up with point guards letting the ball roll down court after they inbound it

Quote Originally Posted by notatop29pg
    Have seen him bait guys into going for the steal many times only to blow by them and hit the pullup 3. Was a common sight in NO.
    Yup. Best ballhandler in NBA. He stays low so that if defender goes for ball he can get by them for pull up shot as you said. It's one of the many things that makes his intangibles so much better than any other PG. His clock management skills are insane.

Default Re: Ok WTF is up with point guards letting the ball roll down court after they inbound it

I've always wanted to be a defender in that situation and just dive for the ball

National High School Star sick_brah07's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Upgrayedd
    My only complaint about it especially with tonight is that no one on the other team tried to steal it. The ball went halfway down the court and someone could have run up and tried to steal it.

you must have never played against high level competetion my man

dumb OP

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KDTrey5
    dumb OP
    Its just typical ConanRulesNBC nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    basketball 101, the clock doesn't start until a player picks it up.
    Actually, the clock starts when the ball is touched. Obviously, in this scenario, the time difference between a player making first contact with the ball and then picking it up is milliseconds. But it doesn't just start when the ball is picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    This is true in practice, but I recall hearing that it isn't the case if one looks at the rulebook, and that technically the clock should start when the ball hits the court inbounds. Someone a while back provided the section of the NBA rule book that deals with this.
    Gameclock, yes.. not the shotclock

Section II-Starting and Stopping of 24-Second Clock
    a. The 24-second clock will start when a team gains new possession of a ball which is in play.
    b. On a throw-in, the 24-second clock shall start when the ball is legally touched on the court by a player.

Local High School Star

Trying to steal it would be as dumb as running up and trying to rip the ball from their hands. They're just going to pick it up and blow past you.

they should sticky this thread asap.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Was a bad rule change. Need to change it back to the clock starting when the ball is inbounded. The rolling of the ball is lame!

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Was a bad rule change. Need to change it back to the clock starting when the ball is inbounded. The rolling of the ball is lame!
    I agree that rolling the ball is a bit lame.. however, starting the clock when the ball in inbounded? This would mean that the persons handling the clock should time the exact moment the ball leaves the inbounders hands, which is a lot tougher than registering the moment the recipient receives the ball. What about last second (or less) alleyoops?
    Or do you mean the moment the ball touches the floor? If so, disregard my questions above.

The more important question is why the hell does the opposing team not just steal the ball while it is just slowly rolling down the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Miserio
    If you (as a defender) have kept some distance, you can't run straight to the ball because the point guards in the nba are so fast that they're gonna pass you easily.
    Anyone with decent speed can steal that ball. It's just barely rolling there in the middle of the damn court. I bet 8/10 point guards could steal it if they actually tried.

Quote Originally Posted by sick_brah07
    you must have never played against high level competetion my man
    You must be a dumb ass. These guys are regularly rolling the ball slowly, down the middle of the court. It would be child's play to steal it if someone just actually tried to.

But instead they just stand there and let it roll about 40 feet. Of course it's hard to steal after you let it roll for 20-25 feet.

If you actually dove for it immediately, it would be a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Noof
    Trying to steal it would be as dumb as running up and trying to rip the ball from their hands. They're just going to pick it up and blow past you.
    This is just stupid. If someone actually tried to steal it, within the first 5-10 feet they could. It's only hard to steal because they stand 40 feet away off the ball and let it roll through the whole back court.

Man this forum has some morons in it.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 05-10-2012 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    Anyone with decent speed can steal that ball. It's just barely rolling there in the middle of the damn court. I bet 8/10 point guards could steal it if they actually tried.
    Stick to facts about Arkansas, kid.