Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 on 1 tactics

College superstar

Default 1 on 1 tactics

Up until recently, I never played much 1 on 1. However, I've been practicing at a new court I go to that is mostly empty and I get challenged to play 1 on 1 a lot.

I've gotten really good posting up and taking contested jumpers because of it and it really feels like its making me a better scorer overall when I play 5's.

At first, posting up was my most efficient way of scoring, even against bigger players. This usually takes a lot out of me and I can't play as hard on defense.

Now, I've been putting more effort and energy into defense and scoring off jumpers. BTW, 1 on 1 has improved my midrange jumpers drastically.

What are your tactics when you play 1 on 1?

Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: 1 on 1 tactics

Step back mid-range jumpers get it done for me alot. Also Being able to drive with both hands and finishing ability is a must cuz ur gonna get fouled

BEAST

just being lights out from anywhere and especially at the top of the key

when you can shoot , it makes the game easier on offense

of course shooting well plays a big part in what you can put into your game.

personally, my first step is no where near what it used to be when i ran track in high school, so I like to get them on their heels with a crossover, break one way and throw in a hop step to create extra space between myself and the defender for (hopefully) an easy layup. In 5-on-5, it can really cause defenders to collapse on you too, giving you passing options.

Local High School Star devin112's Avatar

Either use the post to set up ur perimeter game or use ur perimeter game to set up ur drive.

I choose post up first because it's gives me the best chances of putting up quick points. I go for high percentage shots first and get on a run, before they know it they're down by 3-4 points. They'll beg u to take jumpers and if u can shot, nothing like an uncontested jumper.

I have a good midrange turn around fadeaway so I throw that in.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by devin112
    Either use the post to set up ur perimeter game or use ur perimeter game to set up ur drive.

I choose post up first because it's gives me the best chances of putting up quick points. I go for high percentage shots first and get on a run, before they know it they're down by 3-4 points. They'll beg u to take jumpers and if u can shot, nothing like an uncontested jumper.

I have a good midrange turn around fadeaway so I throw that in.
    That's the essence of my one-on-one game, only with driving instead of posting. It's clearly an oversimplification to suggest it's as simple as driving if they play tight and shooting if they sag off, but that's pretty much what I'm aiming for. I'm a slasher at heart, so at least having that exist as a threat will buy me some space to fire from the top of the key when I feel necessary.

Speaking of one-on-one, do you guys ever play one-on-one-on-one? By this, I'm not talking about a free-for-all 21 type of game. Rather, it's a game of one-on-one where the player who scores stays on the floor and a new defender then subs in. How we play is if a defender gets a stop, the play dies. The ball is then checked and the defender tries to score. And then so on and so forth until a basket is scored.

Sounds like an easy form of one-on-one, right? Well what I've found out is that having a defender (or two or three) waiting to sub allows a playing defender to go 110% percent. There's no pacing of oneself. And lets be truthful, in a real game of basketball, no player can truly go 100% all the time. Since the play dies once a rebound is secured, all defensive energy is placed squarely on stopping the offensive player's drive/shot. It's incredibly taxing on both sides of the ball. I was very surprised. When a defense only has one goal to accomplish (i.e. stopping whatever you're doing at that very moment) it becomes twice as hard to score.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I'm not really a big one on one fan. But it does have it's advantages.

The base skill set playing is mostly the entire jab series that you should be running through. Jab and shoot, Jab and go, Jab and rip through, and and half rip and come back. That's the essence of the game.

The problem is too many people just play off and turn it into basically little more than a stand still jump shooting contest. If you're gonna play one on one, get out and defend.

The other frustrating thing is when guys pull out and just put on a ball handling exhibition. If you beat me, beat me, if not, and you want to pull out and reset, fine, but don't do it a dozen times and then finally get somewhere and think that proves something. I had a coach who used to have a dribble limit on 1 on 1.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Versatility and the ability to get a hand in the face of my opponent is how I get it done. I rarely lose a game of 1 v 1 because I am versatile and smart. I can attack the weakness of one guy, and then switch it up against another guy.

It also helps me work on my pump fake without having to worry about a weak side helper or someone else coming. I can really focus on the head fake, the ball pump, and staying patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I'm not really a big one on one fan. But it does have it's advantages.

The base skill set playing is mostly the entire jab series that you should be running through. Jab and shoot, Jab and go, Jab and rip through, and and half rip and come back. That's the essence of the game.

The problem is too many people just play off and turn it into basically little more than a stand still jump shooting contest. If you're gonna play one on one, get out and defend.

The other frustrating thing is when guys pull out and just put on a ball handling exhibition. If you beat me, beat me, if not, and you want to pull out and reset, fine, but don't do it a dozen times and then finally get somewhere and think that proves something. I had a coach who used to have a dribble limit on 1 on 1.
    We always had either a 2 or 3 dribble limit when we would do one on one drills in HS. It makes the drill much more beneficial.

Learn to detach yourself from the game a bit and think like a coach. Coaches run one play to set up the next. Do the same with your game.

Have a go-to move that you don't show until you absolutely need it. It can be anything; mine was a really good head fake. Initially, when I realized I could get guys to bite, I wanted to use it all the time. Over time, I learned to never show it until I had to (usually a game point situation). Ball fake, pump, everything but the head fake. On the highest pressure shot in the game, I was usually shooting an uncontested layup.

As other stated, be economical with your dribble. Don't confuse activity with achievement; if you're not gaining ground, you're losing it. Strong, purposeful moves are what win.

You'll find that after a while, your game is scripted almost like the first 20 plays of an NFL game. It got to where each of my 1-on-1 contests was merely a rehearsal for the next one.

one thing a friend and i do is put a limit on the number of dribbles you can take each possession.

in a real structured game you cant dribble for as long as you want, you only have a few seconds or a few dribbles to make your move before you hurt the offensive continuity/hog the ball.

so when we play you are only allowed 3 dribbles. it forces you to be aggressive, decisive, and efficeint with the ball.(by efficeint i mean use time efficeintly).

playing with a limit on dribbles forces you to play one-on-one, the way you actually play in a game.

a lot of people can score in one-on-one but cant in games, because they need a ton of dribbles/time with the ball in their hands to create a shot, and they cant take this many dribbles in a real game.playing with a limit on dribbles gets you out of this bad habit. ive gotten a lot better since we started doing this. id highly recommend it.

Decent playground baller Jordan23GOAT's Avatar

I was playing some 1 on 2 the other day. But i noticed the people i was playin against were just keeping one guy down low while the other guy picked me up at the top of the key. Best way i found to beat the first guy was hitting some 3s and stepbacks and once he was convinced i could shoot the lights out. I just fake the shot and drive and shoot a floater or something like it.

I love 1-on-1. I grew up having to prove myself all the time against older and taller opponents. Not to mention I play better with a chip on my shoulder.

First, make sure you are truly driving at full speed. If you can't beat your man off the dribble, you're gonna have a hell of a time.

Use the hesitation dribble to find out what your defender is gonna give you. Make sure you keep your dribble low. Master dribble moves to help your iso game: the spin move, crossover, behind-the-back dribble, etc.

Everybody always says if you can establish your jump shot it'll be easier to drive. I think it's the opposite: establish the rest of your game and you'll get open jump shots wherever you want.

I don't like starting with my jump shot...takes away second chance opportunities for you, gives your man confidence easier if you miss, and makes it easier for your opponent to clear it and get into his thing. Last thing you wanna do is make your opponent feel comfortable or that it's gonna be easy to guard you.

Also, don't get caught thinking. The longer you take to figure out what you're gonna do, the longer your opponent has to be ready for it. Be decisive and quick. When he checks it, get into your dribble and be aggressive.

Just pick a move in your head and just do it without thinking. "Next play I'll drive HARD left, fake the stepback, spin move around him, and try to finish right with my two steps."

And when you're desperate, use the floater or hook shot :) lol

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    This is so true.

1 on 1 is a young man's game. I'm 30 and I think I've gotten too old for 1 on 1 against a good player because I can't defend the way I need to. There's a huge difference between guarding your man in a 5-5 full court and trying to lockdown a guy with the ball 1 on 1 over and over again.

The one friend I used to play 1 on 1 with the most, basically neither of us can guard the other anymore, so the whole thing becomes kind of pointless

Quote Originally Posted by percolator
    This is so true.

1 on 1 is a young man's game. I'm 30 and I think I've gotten too old for 1 on 1 against a good player because I can't defend the way I need to. There's a huge difference between guarding your man in a 5-5 full court and trying to lockdown a guy with the ball 1 on 1 over and over again.

The one friend I used to play 1 on 1 with the most, basically neither of us can guard the other anymore, so the whole thing becomes kind of pointless
    1-on-1 is one of my favorite things to do in basketball. I never thought about that...ahhh!