Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Kevin Mchale vs Dirk Nowitzki All time

at the end of the say, I'm rolling with....... Dirk

Dirk Nowitzki

DaniloGallinari
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Tough. Both unguardable at their own respective strengths.

I take McHale.

I'll take my favorite player, Dirk.

Hard choice, McHale has like the best footwork ever, only Hakeem and few others come close, so if your team needs highly efficient post player who gets it done, Mchale is the choice. If you need PF who spreads the floor - Dirk is amazing.

McHale peaked at 26.1/9.9/2.6 at 60.3% FG! Thats an insane efficiency, even Shaq in his prime havent reached that.

Dirk peaked at 26.6/9.0/2.8 at 48% FG. In regular season McHale was considerably better, how about playoffs?

McHale 25.4/8.0/2.4 at 60.3% FG
    Dirk 27.0/11.7/2.9 at 46.8% FG.

Dirk is more clutch, but I doubt he is better rebounder though, McHale played with two other ~7ft who each grabbed ~10 rebounds, while Dirk is the main rebounder. IMO as primary rebounder Mchale would grab as much if not more.

For primary option I might pick Dirk, he elevates his game in the Playoffs, and I value clutchness a lot. His prime lasted longer. But its hard to build around soft jumpshooter, and I dont need to go far to prove my point - with a lot of regular season success Dirk's teams fall flat in the Playoffs, always.

McHale is better as a second option, but then again we dont know how he would have done as a 1st option, super stacked teams makes it harder to evaluate such solid role player. But make no mistake - Dirk wouldnt be 1st option on Bird's Celtics as well.

Bottom line: I would probably choose McHale, as 1st option IMO his points and rebounds would go up, efficiency would go slightly down. Team up him with someone like Ray, Pierce or Melo, and you are set for the Playoffs too. McHale efficiency is mind boggling, he had range too. Against current weak frontcourts he would have a field day, probably 28/12 with 55%, definitely a Top5 player.

5 votes for Mchale
    7 votes for Dirk

More votes=D

Dirk

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    Hard choice, McHale has like the best footwork ever, only Hakeem and few others come close, so if your team needs highly efficient post player who gets it done, Mchale is the choice. If you need PF who spreads the floor - Dirk is amazing.

McHale peaked at 26.1/9.9/2.6 at 60.3% FG! Thats an insane efficiency, even Shaq in his prime havent reached that.

Dirk peaked at 26.6/9.0/2.8 at 48% FG. In regular season McHale was considerably better, how about playoffs?

Dirk is more clutch, but I doubt he is better rebounder though, McHale played with two other ~7ft who each grabbed ~10 rebounds, while Dirk is the main rebounder. IMO as primary rebounder Mchale would grab as much if not more.

For primary option I might pick Dirk, he elevates his game in the Playoffs, and I value clutchness a lot. His prime lasted longer. But its hard to build around soft jumpshooter, and I dont need to go far to prove my point - with a lot of regular season success Dirk's teams fall flat in the Playoffs, always.

McHale is better as a second option, but then again we dont know how he would have done as a 1st option, super stacked teams makes it harder to evaluate such solid role player. But make no mistake - Dirk wouldnt be 1st option on Bird's Celtics as well.

Bottom line: I would probably choose McHale, as 1st option IMO his points and rebounds would go up, efficiency would go slightly down. Team up him with someone like Ray, Pierce or Melo, and you are set for the Playoffs too. McHale efficiency is mind boggling, he had range too. Against current weak frontcourts he would have a field day, probably 28/12 with 55%, definitely a Top5 player.
    Well said

Plus intangible, I go with McHale too.

TrueDiesel3

McHale, I want my bigs banging in the low-post and playing defense, something Dirk doesn't do very often. McHale is quite possibly the greatest defensive Power Forward ever.....Dirk? Not even close....not even close to being close.

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Default Re: Poll: Kevin Mchale vs Dirk Nowitzki All time

Quote Originally Posted by Yung D-Will

Who's the better player?
    Well its hard, these guys are two totally different players...one guy was a banger post player, the other is a finesse big SF....I'll take Mchale

Local High School Star Alhazred's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harison

Damn, you said everything I wanted to. Put me down for McHale, as well.

8 Votes for Mchale
    8 Votes for Dirk

FCN

McHale

Id rather have the tough, defensive-minded banger/lunchpail guy.

I do agree that Dirk would be a better first-option scorer, but I'd want McHale.
    Last edited by FCN; 07-06-2010 at 11:56 AM.

If I was to build a team around I'd pick Dirk. If I needed a 2nd option-McHale. Overall I think Dirk is a better player.