Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What happened to the record labels in hip-hop?

Quote Originally Posted by gotbacon23
    yeah i'd agree that mase is better than a lot of the "popular" stuff out today- but i don't know how much that is saying haha
    Yeah. If you dont mind me asking, is your soon to be wife a hip hop fan? Other than that, look out for the new LOX album "New LOX Order" and it should be coming out in December.

Decent college freshman gotbacon23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    Yeah. If you dont mind me asking, is your soon to be wife a hip hop fan? Other than that, look out for the new LOX album "New LOX Order" and it should be coming out in December.
    she listens to just about everything, hip hop included, which is good. her musical taste is much much more diversified than mine

she listens to just about everything, hip hop included, which is good. her musical taste is much much more diversified than mine
    Thats good. You said she listened to more types of music than you, what types of music do you not listen to? Country?

Decent college freshman gotbacon23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    Thats good. You said she listened to more types of music than you, what types of music do you not listen to? Country?

i actually do not listen to music that much except for rap haha. i like 80s and 90s rap, some 2000s rap (but not much), and some 90s rock and stuff. i really listen to talk radio whenever im listening to the radio, so my music listening is limited to things i liked before i discovered talk radio.

Value Ape.

It is not hip hop labels, it is the entire industry. Some very big company's, bigger than any on the list, just service the catalog now. No new acts.

i actually do not listen to music that much except for rap haha. i like 80s and 90s rap, some 2000s rap (but not much), and some 90s rock and stuff. i really listen to talk radio whenever im listening to the radio, so my music listening is limited to things i liked before i discovered talk radio.
    yeah, i've been listening to talk radio since i've wore out all of my cds in my rotation... i find npr pretty interesting and informative. even though i don't agree with any of the right wing guys on the am, listening to them is entertaining. i don't find sports talk or howard stern type stuff very appealing.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by iggy>
    mase was not terrible.
    MURDA Mase was REAL gully.

mainstream record labels arnt cool anymore due to the internet. because of the internet, more of the up and coming artists are from an indie background, which means they do it all themselves, so majore labels are no longer relevant. we know GBE AND TDE

You name all these labels but fail to mention the greatest of all...
    DEATH ROW.

Can't forget Laface either.

NBA Superstar

Shady Records

Banned

A lot of them were just money-laundering fronts for gangs and the government cracked down on them, especially the bigger ones. Death Row was a Piru/Blood front run by Suge Knight, Murder Inc was a laundry service for Kenneth 'Supreme' McGriff's outfit, Rap-A-Lot wa run by the infamous James Prince.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

I was not a fan of Mase when he was active. I thought he was pretty bad. But compared to the people now he's really good.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Remember back ten years ago or so, there seemed to be hip hop record labels everywhere.

Bad Boy Entertainment
    No Limit Records
    Ruff Ryders
    Roc-a-Fella
    Murder, Inc.
    Cash Money Records
    Suave House
    Rap-a-Lot
    Hypnotize Minds
    Ruthless
    So So Def
    Slip-N-Slide
    Aftermath
    Hoo Bangin'

Now, I can't even tell you what label these new cats on now a days.
    got illuminati'd

-Smak

at the time i liked mase. but go back and actually listen to him, he is terrible. he mumbles and talks like he has cotton balls in his mouth (or puffy's balls, i forget which). and if the hip-hop industry sucks now and everyone now stole from mase, doesn't that imply that mase sucked too? and the lox? they were ok, but haven't been relevant in a decade.

i think everyone was thinking that mase was good because of some nostaliga. i have nostaligia for that era too, but honestly he was terrible.
    Dude Mase had some of the tightest laid back flows... he might not have had much substance but it was always enjoyable listening to him