Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Michael Jordan in Today's League: Better or Worse?

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    Wade in 09 only took 1.1 three points per game. Thats not alot. LJ never even won until he got a post game
    That was 6 years ago, and Wade's efficiency dropped significantly in the playoffs.

Today there seems to more of an emphasis in either shooting 3's, or driving to the basket. Like I said, MJ would still be the best player in the game, but he would have to adjust his game doing so. Unless he's getting more freethrows, his TS, eFG and FG percentages would drop some.

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    Yes or no will suffice, but an explanation would be great too.

I personally think MJ would be the SAME player, only less efficient due to the amount of 3's taken in the game today.
    Best player in the game.

I don't think he would see a drop in efficiency and if there is, it's probably miniscule. Yes it is a game for more 3 point shooting, but counters for a perimeter player who doesn't have a good 3 point shot or doesn't rely on them heavily is getting to the basket, getting to the line, having a good/great mid-range, having a good post up game and having good/great passing. Jordan definitely thrives in all of that and would be great today.

The real question for me is how many 3's would he attempt in a league that many perimeter player's take ? Would he be challenged to take many and fall in love with the 3 pointer or would he continue to drive/post up in the paint ?

I rule the local playground

His FG% would be lower, as he'd be taking more 3's, because that's what players do these days.

He'd go to the line more, because star perimeter players go to the line at a higher rate today.

He had more than enough midrange to beat a zone, so I don't see that hurting him too much. The open lanes from from three pointer spacing, lack of handchecking, and extra trips to the line would help his TS% more than zones would hurt it.

Overall he'd be slightly more efficient in todays game, probably 59-65%TS, but the game is also moving towards more team oriented play, and the best scorers are shooting 17-20 times a game, where as he was shooting 24-26 times a game, so his FGA(and his PPG) may actually come down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Best player in the game.

I don't think he would see a drop in efficiency and if there is, it's probably miniscule. Yes it is a game for more 3 point shooting, but counters for a perimeter player who doesn't have a good 3 point shot or doesn't rely on them heavily is getting to the basket, getting to the line, having a good/great mid-range, having a good post up game and having good/great passing. Jordan definitely thrives in all of that and would be great today.

The real question for me is how many 3's would he attempt in a league that many perimeter player's take ? Would he be challenged to take many and fall in love with the 3 pointer or would he continue to drive/post up in the paint ?
    The bold is something that I've been wondering myself. I would learn toward more, hence my affinity for pointing out his efficiency (would probably be a marginal drop off, as you said, but still a drop off).

People don't realize that even today the league is a little different than it was in 2009. Advanced metrics are far more prevelant, and coaches seem to emphasize taking less midrange shots. I hate it, but that's the reality here.
    Last edited by catch24; 09-22-2015 at 11:52 PM.

NBA lottery pick

You don't have to take alot of 3s to be great in todays league. Look at Wade and LJ that ome year in Miami.
    The game changed a LOT defensively after the Celtics won their title. They kinda provided the NBA with the blue print for the modern zone defense which has really changed the game.

00-10 or so MJ would have been unstoppable. Today the rules changes would pose problems for him. That said he can penetrate better than a Harden. MJ's shot is a bit under valued. Just to illustrate it while he slumped in 98 (and stopped shooting them) his 95-97 3 point shooting was 3.3 attempts per game on 40.4% shooting. I believe if he'd needed that aspect of his game to be more dominant he would have developed it sooner in his career.

I think he'd have very effective in today's more complex offenses playing off the ball and in pick and rolls. Also as is always the case, if you're an outlier and you're great at something, you can get away with it. If defenses were giving MJ mid range shots, I'm pretty sure his coach would let HIM take those.

I'm not sure we'd see a 37 a game season out of him, but I don't think the rules would be to his detriment. Lets also not forget that historically the 2 guard spot in the NBA is the weakest positional player. If you have a 2 guard who has jordan's ability to get to the basket, I'm pretty sure the same rules that help point guard would help Jordan.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    worse

this is a shooters league

the paint is clogged

PGs are the main ball dominant guys now

team flow and less isolation

less coaches willing to allow mid range game

back to the basket post up games are obsolete

jordans lack of outside shooting and unselfishness would hurt him

nobodies allowed to average 32-33ppg anymore. and jordan wants to lead the nba every year in scoring

this is a shooters league - What does this have to do on MJ being worse?

the paint is clogged - compare to 90s?

PGs are the main ball dominant guys now - again, I dont understand how does this relate to MJ's superior scoring and defensively?

team flow and less isolation - Have you watched 2015 final? lol

less coaches willing to allow mid range game - wtf?

back to the basket post up games are obsolete - Players today are really regressing instead of obsolete. OMG, strange thought of you

I think he puts up slightly less points due to emphasis on team play, on slightly better TS%, and averages slightly less blocks.

Maybe half a rebound more over his career given the dynamism of today's defenses in terms of constantly moving and smaller guys occasionally finding themselves down lower on the block.

Over the last 7 or 8 years he'd compete with Bron for best player in the league consistently.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    I think he puts up slightly less points due to emphasis on team play, on slightly better TS%, and averages slightly less blocks.

Maybe half a rebound more over his career given the dynamism of today's defenses in terms of constantly moving and smaller guys occasionally finding themselves down lower on the block.

Over the last 7 or 8 years he'd compete with Bron for best player in the league consistently.
    This is a good answer, and in line with my thoughts.

Banned

That was 6 years ago, and Wade's efficiency dropped significantly in the playoffs.

Today there seems to more of an emphasis in either shooting 3's, or driving to the basket. Like I said, MJ would still be the best player in the game, but he would have to adjust his game doing so. Unless he's getting more freethrows, his TS, eFG and FG percentages would drop some.
    Tony Parker dealing with constant injuries, 2010-present: [COLOR="Red"]1 3A/gm[/COLOR], 50.2% FG, .560 TS%, .516 eFG% *2 trips to the finals, 1 championship won*

Dwyane Wade dealing with constant injuries, 2010-present: [COLOR="Red"]1.5 3A/gm[/COLOR], 50.4% FG, .567 TS%, .517 eFG% *4 trips to the finals, 2 championships won*

Where on Earth are you getting this notion that not chucking 3s makes you inefficient?

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by dhsilv
    The game changed a LOT defensively after the Celtics won their title. They kinda provided the NBA with the blue print for the modern zone defense which has really changed the game.

00-10 or so MJ would have been unstoppable. Today the rules changes would pose problems for him. That said he can penetrate better than a Harden. MJ's shot is a bit under valued. Just to illustrate it while he slumped in 98 (and stopped shooting them) his 95-97 3 point shooting was 3.3 attempts per game on 40.4% shooting. I believe if he'd needed that aspect of his game to be more dominant he would have developed it sooner in his career.

I think he'd have very effective in today's more complex offenses playing off the ball and in pick and rolls. Also as is always the case, if you're an outlier and you're great at something, you can get away with it. If defenses were giving MJ mid range shots, I'm pretty sure his coach would let HIM take those.

I'm not sure we'd see a 37 a game season out of him, but I don't think the rules would be to his detriment. Lets also not forget that historically the 2 guard spot in the NBA is the weakest positional player. If you have a 2 guard who has jordan's ability to get to the basket, I'm pretty sure the same rules that help point guard would help Jordan.
    Bro what iare you talking about? They didn't change the rules in 2011 and that same Wade destroyed Boston in the playoffs in 2010. Their out of this world defense didn't work then huh?

Banned

He's be behind Durant and LeBron for sure.

Probably behind AD

I see him in the tier with Harden, Westbrook, and Paul

Jordan played in the most watered down league in history in terms of perimeter talent. There were a couple decent big men but they were all soft losers..non intimidating bums who couldn't win in any era. Jordan played with the most stacked teams and arguably the GOAT coach too...

LeBron and Durant do it by themselves essentially. Jordan was playing with teams winning damn near 60 games without him.

FOH.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Tony Parker dealing with constant injuries, 2010-present: [COLOR="Red"]1 3A/gm[/COLOR], 50.2% FG, .560 TS%, .516 eFG% *2 trips to the finals, 1 championship won*

Dwyane Wade dealing with constant injuries, 2010-present: [COLOR="Red"]1.5 3A/gm[/COLOR], 50.4% FG, .567 TS%, .517 eFG% *4 trips to the finals, 2 championships won*

Where on Earth are you getting this notion that not chucking 3s makes you inefficient?
    Parker's volume isn't even close to Jordan's, and Wade's has dropped a ton since he teamed up with LBJ.

Not the greatest comparison tbh

Very good NBA starter

His efficiency dropped because he played bad. What about the other 77 regular season. What about the next year when he destroyed Boston in the playoffs. Noting hasn't changed in 6 years. Why do you people say dumb shit.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by plowking

Mj was playing in a team ball. Bro he wasn't holding the ball like LJ. Go look at the Bulls they averaged 20+ asts

His efficiency dropped because he played bad. What about the other 77 regular season. What about the next year when he destroyed Boston in the playoffs. Noting hasn't changed in 6 years. Why do you people say dumb shit.
    I already said dude would be the best player, and you're still getting sensitive. Give the stanning a rest.