Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default If 3-pt line was removed from today's game, what style of play would be used?

Without the ability to drive-and-kick for 3-pointers, drive-and-kick would no longer be more efficient than post-ups, midrange or any type of isolation.

So without 3-pointers, we'd see post-ups, midrange and isolations become the primary options on offense, just like previous eras.

WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?

Because it affects how we compare players over eras - in previous eras, players were better at the skills needed when 3-pointers AREN'T an option (midrange, 1-on-1 ability from triple threat and post), while today's players are superior at skills used when 3-pointers ARE an option (3-pointers, and 1-on-1 ability off-the-dribble to generate drive-and-kicks that produce 3-pointers)

Default Re: If 3-pt line was removed from today's game, what style of play would be used?

Not a diss against past big men,

But I think that being a good passer as a non-guard became much more effective.

Passing from the Post:

Back before the 3pt line, I assume that if a Big man (The main scorers of the era) was double teamed, he would send it to the guard, only to get it back and re-try the post move.

But nowdays, when the 3pt option is so crucial to success, whenever that defense collapse on a driving forward, or a big man posting up, that ability to send the ball out accuratly and in the right rythem can be devestating.

Good big man with passing abilities can really dismantle opposing defenses, like Draymond Green or Pau gasol, when they are a threat both to draw the foul, score from the post -and- breakdown your defense, that's lethal.

It means that these bigs will average less points, and more assists. That's a wonderful skill that opens up the game.

I mean, it does require the big to be a reliable scoring threat, you would collapse on Greg Monroe, but not necesserily on Ed Davis, unless he's got a mismatch.

Another Skill I think this era has got that is very different is the Drive-and-kick offense by guards.

You see guys like Harden, Lillard and Steph, who -know- they are giving defenses fits whenever they get past their guy, they need to keep their head up. You see Lebron doing that all the time, just because you got past your guy, and the lane is somewhat open, does not mean you go all the way.

If you're Lebron and you see Knight waiting at the rim, yeah, you go all the way for that and-1 or straight up layup, but if you see say, Bogut, or Mozgov waiting up there, you probably keep your eyes up and look for Kevin love, Jones or Mike Miller wide open and shoot them the ball for the three.

Now even if the defense rushes to collapse on love, or patrick patterson or whatever stretch out there-- It leaves the 3rd guy, the weakside guy wide open, a quick pass and the defense is in scrambles, a JR smith ready to kill you from 3, or maybe even shoot it back to a streaking Lebron still going for the inside shot.

Here's an example.

It's a really good one because it shows post passing at it's best.

Tristan Thompson has it in the post, he sends it off to Shawn Marion,
    Now here's what happens next,

Lebron streaks inside, catchs it in the post, now, the defense already got a fit from Marion being somewhat open, then Lebron in the post, complete collapse.

Now instead of shooting, he spots up Love, and by the time Love gets the ball his defender is so unnerved that it's really easy for love to sidestep him and go for the open midrange shot, money.

You have,

Tristan Thompson -> Marion -> Lebron - > Love.
    All this starts from the post, with two important passes going outside, grinding down the defense.

That's my opinion on this new Era and how it changed the game due to the 3pt shot.

Centers and Power Forwards need to be a bigger part of -understanding- the offense, and not just getting it in their sweet spots and going for the score, or being pnr guys.

Default Re: If 3-pt line was removed from today's game, what style of play would be used?

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Without the ability to drive-and-kick for 3-pointers, drive-and-kick would no longer be more efficient than post-ups, midrange or any type of isolation.

So without 3-pointers, we'd see post-ups, midrange and isolations become the primary options on offense, just like previous eras.

WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?

Because it affects how we compare players over eras - in previous eras, players were better at the skills needed when 3-pointers AREN'T an option (midrange, 1-on-1 ability from triple threat and post), while today's players are superior at skills used when 3-pointers ARE an option (3-pointers, and 1-on-1 ability off-the-dribble to generate drive-and-kicks that produce 3-pointers)
    we'd get an ugly inside only game. leave the 3p line but cut the dumb rules like no handchecking, different contact for perimeter and bigs, illegal screens .. that would quickly clean up the game.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKAT
    Not a diss against past big men,

But I think that being a good passer as a non-guard became much more effective.

Passing from the Post:

Back before the 3pt line, I assume that if a Big man (The main scorers of the era) was double teamed, he would send it to the guard, only to get it back and re-try the post move.

But nowdays, when the 3pt option is so crucial to success, whenever that defense collapse on a driving forward, or a big man posting up, that ability to send the ball out accuratly and in the right rythem can be devestating.

Good big man with passing abilities can really dismantle opposing defenses, like Draymond Green or Pau gasol, when they are a threat both to draw the foul, score from the post -and- breakdown your defense, that's lethal.

It means that these bigs will average less points, and more assists. That's a wonderful skill that opens up the game.

I mean, it does require the big to be a reliable scoring threat, you would collapse on Greg Monroe, but not necesserily on Ed Davis, unless he's got a mismatch.

Another Skill I think this era has got that is very different is the Drive-and-kick offense by guards.

You see guys like Harden, Lillard and Steph, who -know- they are giving defenses fits whenever they get past their guy, they need to keep their head up. You see Lebron doing that all the time, just because you got past your guy, and the lane is somewhat open, does not mean you go all the way.

If you're Lebron and you see Knight waiting at the rim, yeah, you go all the way for that and-1 or straight up layup, but if you see say, Bogut, or Mozgov waiting up there, you probably keep your eyes up and look for Kevin love, Jones or Mike Miller wide open and shoot them the ball for the three.

Now even if the defense rushes to collapse on love, or patrick patterson or whatever stretch out there-- It leaves the 3rd guy, the weakside guy wide open, a quick pass and the defense is in scrambles, a JR smith ready to kill you from 3, or maybe even shoot it back to a streaking Lebron still going for the inside shot.

Here's an example.

It's a really good one because it shows post passing at it's best.

Tristan Thompson has it in the post, he sends it off to Shawn Marion,
    Now here's what happens next,

Lebron streaks inside, catchs it in the post, now, the defense already got a fit from Marion being somewhat open, then Lebron in the post, complete collapse.

Now instead of shooting, he spots up Love, and by the time Love gets the ball his defender is so unnerved that it's really easy for love to sidestep him and go for the open midrange shot, money.

You have,

Tristan Thompson -> Marion -> Lebron - > Love.
    All this starts from the post, with two important passes going outside, grinding down the defense.

That's my opinion on this new Era and how it changed the game due to the 3pt shot.
    Your gif shows the problem with today's game - that's how it looks on prety much every play - someone gets wide open.. But plays can't be considered "great" if they happen all the time, and that's what happens when you have spacing.

Plays like that are so common and scripted, that the majority of your post was the detailed prediction of every pass of a given set.. The spacing makes passes and decisions predictable.

But in previous eras, without 3-point shooting and the resulting spaced-out defenders, the act of moving the ball was less effective - it's harder for passing to shift bunched-up defenders than spaced-out ones.. Just look at the GIF below - if the ball were to be swung around, the camping Moses just has to move his head and body like a swivel chair.. He doesn't have to leave the paint, whereas today's 3-point shooting/spacing forces bigs to move from one side of the court to the other when the ball is swung.

Since passing was less effective without spacing, it meant strategy was less effective, and needed to be more impressive/sophisticated to actually work at a higher level than the competition.. With easy passing and cookie-cutter plays like your Love gif UNAVAILABLE in previous eras, the game was more reactionary, spontanteous, and instinctive - so great plays were harder to come by, but therefore more impressive when they occurred.

Another thing - look at Jordan in the GIF above - I don't give a shit who you are, you just can't get all the way to the rim with Moses and others camping in there like that.. Do you understand that?.. So now Jordan has to pull up for a contested, hangtime midrange jumper that you'd never seen in today's game.. And you can critique Jordan by saying he should've swung the ball to the other side - but we already know that Moses just has to turn his head and body like a swivel chair and the bunched-up defense doesn't shift much.. To make a great play against a set defense like that, you'll need a great 1-on-1 play or something truly special passing-wise.. But go watch the 80's Celtics, 90's Bulls and many more - they did it all the time.. So just imagine what those teams would do WITH spacing like Love and company enjoy in your gif.

One more thing - the real reason why Jordan can't pass the ball in the gif despite the paint-camping, is that he has no 3-point shooters to pass to.. In today's game, it's less correct for a player to go 1-on-1, because passing it opens up the possibility of a 3-pointer.. THAT'S the reason why 1-on-1 is less correct today - due to some gimmicky, arbitrary line.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

D howard would be the Curry

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper
    D howard would be the Curry
    [B]Dwight is a great defender and rebounder but he has zero post moves offensively he

Your gif shows the problem with today's game - that's how it looks on prety much every play - someone gets wide open.. But plays can't be considered "great" if they happen all the time, and that's what happens when you have spacing.

Plays like that are so common and scripted, that the majority of your post was the detailed prediction of every pass of a given set.. The spacing makes passes and decisions predictable.

But in previous eras, without 3-point shooting and the resulting spaced-out defenders, the act of moving the ball was less effective - it's harder for passing to shift bunched-up defenders than spaced-out ones.. Just look at the GIF below - if the ball were to be swung around, the camping Moses just has to move his head and body like a swivel chair.. He doesn't have to leave the paint, whereas today's 3-point shooting/spacing forces bigs to move from one side of the court to the other when the ball is swung.

Since passing was less effective without spacing, it meant strategy was less effective, and needed to be more impressive/sophisticated to actually work at a higher level than the competition.. With easy passing and cookie-cutter plays like your Love gif UNAVAILABLE in previous eras, the game was more reactionary, spontanteous, and instinctive - so great plays were harder to come by, but therefore more impressive when they occurred.

Another thing - look at Jordan in the GIF above - I don't give a shit who you are, you just can't get all the way to the rim with Moses and others camping in there like that.. Do you understand that?.. So now Jordan has to pull up for a contested, hangtime midrange jumper that you'd never seen in today's game.. And you can critique Jordan by saying he should've swung the ball to the other side - but we already know that Moses just has to turn his head and body like a swivel chair and the bunched-up defense doesn't shift much.. To make a great play against a set defense like that, you'll need a great 1-on-1 play or something truly special passing-wise.. But go watch the 80's Celtics, 90's Bulls and many more - they did it all the time.. So just imagine what those teams would do WITH spacing like Love and company enjoy in your gif.

One more thing - the real reason why Jordan can't pass the ball in the gif despite the paint-camping, is that he has no 3-point shooters to pass to.. In today's game, it's less correct for a player to go 1-on-1, because passing it opens up the possibility of a 3-pointer.. THAT'S the reason why 1-on-1 is less correct today - due to some gimmicky, arbitrary line.

Everything you've described seems to have worked well for Bird, Jordan, Kareem and stuff.

But I don't really like ISO ball. I don't enjoy watching Carmelo Anthony going 1 on 1 in the middle of the floor. I think that the 2000's in the generals suffered from too many people trying to imitate things that really onl work if you're Michael Jordan.

I love the 'Passing game'.
    Watching San Antonio, Golden State, Cleveland, Atlanta and Boston spring the ball around is a joy to watch. From a fan standpoint, I couldn't be happier at the way the league is moving away from physical gifts to skill. (Everyone is still physically gifted af but you get my point.)

I am somewhat discouraged by how guards sometimes are deterimental to talented bigs because they don't get the ball enough (Jennings/Rose as Porzingins's guards terrify me in general.)

Glad we could have a nice discussion 3ball.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Certainly a lot better game. Guys would actually have to be able to do something other than spot up for a 3.

OP is too retarded to see that its not the 3pt line thats the problem; it's the no handchecking.

NBA rookie of the year Rockets(T-mac)'s Avatar

If you still have a good shooter, you'd still drive and kick, it would just be a 2 instead of a 3. It is still an effective way to get an open shot, regardless of whether it is 2 or 3. Getting an open shot is always the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Certainly a lot better game. Guys would actually have to be able to do something other than spot up for a 3.

Not certain.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKAT

I love the 'Passing game'.
    Watching San Antonio, Golden State, Cleveland, Atlanta and Boston
    Since today's spacing allows for finding the open man on every play, the passing can't really be called "great".

Otoh, truly great passing was required to make great plays on the unspaced courts of previous eras, so great plays were more rare - this makes sense, since by definition, great plays are supposed to be rare.

Today's game - beginner version: spacing, hands-off defense, no physicality, defensive 3 seconds
    Previous era - advanced version: no-spacing, legal hand-checking, physicality, no defensive 3 second

Advanced version example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Td5QRfzj4&t=1m25s

I usually hit open layups

WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?

well it doesnt fit your agenda... i know where you are going... but to say

what will you prefer a free flowing basketball system which tons of outside and midrange shot or the other way around low post for about 16 seconds you know its easier now to shoot than the 90's era coz eventhough there are no 3pt system... its easy to have a jump shot than exhaust yourself lowposting at the paint...

I usually hit open layups

I'd never want to get rid of the three but for me, fewer is better. It had more impact when most of the shots came from inside the line & a shooter got open for a three. For me, it had the same impact as a big dunk. I like when guys would iso & break a defense down. That used to be when the superstars stepped up to get a bucket without any help from teammates. Just get out if their way. Modern players are unbelievable atheletes but the current style emphasizes team ball so much, you don't get to see them display a full range of their skills. I miss occasional 1 one on one moments.

Another "what if" thread