Default Caldwell-Pope must keep rising

After an underwhelming rookie season, Caldwell-Pope had a sophomore season where he led the Pistons in minutes. That shows he earned coach Stan Van Gundy's trust. Now he has to make the jump to becoming a solid NBA starter.

-- Detroit Free Press

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Default Re: Caldwell-Pope must keep rising

There was only one player who upped there PPG more the KCP from the previous year - Jimmy Butler.

1. Butler
    2. KCP

That is reflective of his increase in minutes - which in turn is a reflection of his increase in trust and confidence from SVG.

I think he will take another step forward this year, I think he is one of those players that is going to steadily improve over many years due to his dedication to hard work. I feel like he can take his defensive level from "very good" to "elite" at the 2-guard position, and I can see him becoming more of a threat from deep.

The best thing is, I really get a sense that he is a leader, everytime Dre talks he always mentions how him and KCP are working with the young guys etc, even though KCP is a young guy himself. Dre has his back, which is important....

But for us to REALLY take the next step in becoming a top 4 seed type team, either KCP or Stanley has to beat expectations on their respective ceilings...

NBA lottery pick

We do need one of them to be a big time player instead of just a role player.

Exactly, we can afford one of them developing into a very nice complimentary role player - but if both of them do then it looks like we will be at best a #4 - #6 seed type team in the coming years...

We need one of them to do a Jimmy Butler and turn into an all-star level player to give us 3 players of that level, joing Dre + Reggie (who also both need to takes steps forward themselves).

If we can have 3 x all star level players, plus around 4 very handy complimentary starter caliber role players - along with good leadership and coaching... We could make a push in 2-3 years...

NBA lottery pick

Dre and Reggie would really need to take some big steps forward.

Couldn't agree more ^^ Both capable of doing so, it's on them now...

NBA lottery pick

SVG said KCP was the best player in training camp.

Perfect ^

NBA lottery pick

Yeah has my hopes up for sure. I always look back to who will be better, McLemore or Pope. That was the draft that decided our SG future.

I guess we couldn't have "got it wrong" as Mclemore was already off the board, but he was considered a huge steal there whilst KCP was considered somewhat of a reach, I say KCP is winning the battle so far.

I think Mclemore has the superior stroke (so pretty and smooth) and could become the elite marksman in the NBA at some stage, but I think KCP has the grit, attitude, work ethic, defense to pt him in a good position to be the more valuable asset long term.

NBA lottery pick

I think the jury is still out. And yes we couldn't have just drafted him but we were all hoping he would fall to us. Nobody had KCP on their radar. Being in Sacramento couldn't have been easy the past few seasons. That franchise has been kinda crazy.

BOOM! His stroke looked very confident and fluent today, 6/7 from Deep... I know it's preseason but it looks like the game has slown down for him - very promising first game for him.

NBA lottery pick

He did look good today. I was trying to not get too excited. Even though they lost KCP, Johnson, and Drummond seem like they're going to gel. It's just the preseason though. I remember the days of Austin Daye lighting it up like that before the season started too lol.