Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Watch Dogs out on May 27

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    The reviews have been interesting to read, because it does sound like they were on the verge of a game changing thing here. Everywhere I read that the city is incredible. And everyone seems to agree that the hacking mechanic, while not perfect, is a great new idea to access this type of game.

However, I keep seeing the story is weak. I keep reading the characters are flat. I've read the NPC are lame one note jokes. If they've built a good city, and their mechanic is good, the rest of the issues can be resolved if this moves into a series. And there's a lot knocks on the visuals based on expectations, but they don't sound bad at all. Just not what people hoped for based on previous footage.
    That's one thing I've noticed too. The latter doesn't surprise me really, but the former does. The background is very interesting, and the outline of the story is pretty cool sounding and engaging. But somehow they made a weak story? Which is kind of weird. Because usually Ubisoft has good stories. Maybe not ones that blow you away every game, but they're usually good.

Oh well, since they don't develop games that aren't gonna be franchises anymore hopefully they learn a lot and make the sequel better because of it.

Welcome to LA S. Nash! rhythmic 's Avatar

IGN said the story is pretty weak and the characters (especially the main protagonist) are pretty flat, but only because it takes a long time before the story becomes extremely intriguing. There's a big picture here, a major conspiracy, but it takes patience.

Basically, highly intriguing story but it takes a long time to get engaged.
    Which makes sense because I'm sure most people are writing their verdicts based on like 6-7 hours of gameplay.

I did that with Uncharted 3 initially, but it subsequently became my favorite of the entire series.

I got this game, but I'm too busy playing FIFA and MLB The Show...very invested in the career mode. I might play it next week sometime.

National High School Star

After playing for an hour last night, here are my initial thoughts.

The story does strike me as a little flat and weak straight out the gate which has been mentioned already, certain events happen where they sort of want you to feel for the characters, yet no character building has taken place.
    It just seems like they couldn't decide if they wanted to be serious or funny. (Think either Heavy Rain to Saints Row)

It feels kind of like the old True Crime series, obviously changing the story, but it's just a feel i get when walking the city. That said though, I did love the True Crime games. I keep getting the controls muddled at the moment, often missing what would have been a cool series of actions and ending up in a sloppy outcome.

I do see this game being enjoyable though, while the combat won't be as enjoyable as Sleeping Dogs, the rest of the game will be a level above that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ai2death
    After playing for an hour last night, here are my initial thoughts.

The story does strike me as a little flat and weak straight out the gate which has been mentioned already, certain events happen where they sort of want you to feel for the characters, yet no character building has taken place.
    It just seems like they couldn't decide if they wanted to be serious or funny. (Think either Heavy Rain to Saints Row)

It feels kind of like the old True Crime series, obviously changing the story, but it's just a feel i get when walking the city. That said though, I did love the True Crime games. I keep getting the controls muddled at the moment, often missing what would have been a cool series of actions and ending up in a sloppy outcome.

I do see this game being enjoyable though, while the combat won't be as enjoyable as Sleeping Dogs, the rest of the game will be a level above that.
    Exactly how I feel. I've done 6/9 of the Act I missions. A lot has happened but I can't say there's been character buildings. I've had fun, but nothing I couldn't do on other games. I really like the cover/combat system. It's a got a dash of gears of war in it which is a good thing. The hacking makes the fights a lot more fun too. It's possible to take down 10 guys or so without shooting a bullet.

The side missions are okay, I've done 10 of them so far. I think one of each not sure. But there's one where you have to intercept guys on a highway and it kicked my ass for awhile. Racing is fun, stopping crimes is pretty solid too. Wish there was more of that, the gang related ones are nothing spectacular.

Is the graphics the only plus from current gen to next? might just rent it for the 360

Quote Originally Posted by Brujesino
    Is the graphics the only plus from current gen to next? might just rent it for the 360
    I think so. I know PS4 is getting exclusive content (not sure if timed or not) But I think that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    I think so. I know PS4 is getting exclusive content (not sure if timed or not) But I think that's it.
    My PS4 copy came with an exclusive breakout pack, not sure if just exclusive to first release or gen or sony/xbox.
    I have yet to explore this content yet so it could be bugger all.

So far I would agree with the weak storyline. They don't do a good job of getting you to like the story, or care about it at all. Seriously the story is pretty much worthless so far.

That said the hacking components are awesome. So much fun to just walk around and hack peoples money.

And it makes popo chases great. Raise the bridge!

Picked up my copy a couple hours ago, but I am not going to play it until after this Spurs @ Thunder Game 4.
    I've been reading reviews on it today and it seems like more people are disappointed than impressed.
    I have it for the PS3, so I hope it is at least great for PS3 level expectations.
    Story might start weak but get more interesting as it progresses. Maybe..? I am at least hopeful of that.

I felt as though they were basically like here you go, your this dude, here's where you are, blah blah, this person died, you want to do this... and now go for it.

Multiplayer is pretty tight. My only two complaints are: online decryption should be divided into single and team. Not you can play both in the same lobby. And that it should be easier to play with friends.

Servers are wonky right now, but that's too be expected with it being the launch.

Banned

I think the biggest issue with this game is the hype surrounding it. My roomate was playing it, and it looked and seems fun, but I think it might get a little old doing the hacking on the same stuff and people over and over. Ima try and play it tomorrow see what I think

Press X to hack so much fun.
    Hacking stuff just because you can see it on a camera.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I got no where. Installed, updated, redeemed all my content codes, then I played the opening sequence where he's torturing the guy for info. It took some cut scenes, so I figured I'd get it over with. Some minor tutorial stuff in there. I like the controls from what little moving around I've done.

Then I went out to dinner. I have dinner tonight too, so I'm not sure how much I'll get to until the weekend.

I have been playing for a few hours today. I've only done about 20 minutes worth of the story lol. The side missions and hacking shit keeps my attention for too long smh.