Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    9x All Defensive 1st And1AllDay's Avatar

Default Not heaving shots to save FG%...Myth?

Let's put this myth to the mathematical test. We will take LeBron from last year since it was a full season.

He played in 76 games and took 1354 field goal attempts (making 765). Let's assume he does the hail mary shot instead of holding it. Let's say he ends up shooting the ball 1 more time per game, by getting into a position where he can cleanly get off a half court shot, because of these attempts. So now we are at 1*76 = 76 more attempts per year.

Of the 76, let's say he makes, 5%? So, 4 of them. So, let's add these figures to his stats and see what happens.

4+765 = 769 Makes
    76+1354 = 1430 Attempts

.537 FG%

His ppg would also go up an astronomical .15

Ok, so we see his FG dip from .565 to .537

Can we put this myth to bed now? When I say Myth, I mean assuming that if he took 1 half court shot per game his FG% would plummet 10% or so.

Or did everyone know it would drop only 3% and they're just hating?

Banned

Default Re: Not heaving shots to save FG%...Myth?

Anyone who seriously believed it in the first place was beyond help.

Banned

Players definitely stat pad by not heaving it. It's a free shot and most people that has ever played organize basketball, loves getting a chance to try and make a half court shot or try making a buzzer beater to give your team some points.

It's sad that players just dribble the clock out or guys having a good shooting night, pass it off to another player.

It's a reason why we rarely see superstars hitting buzzer beaters to end a quarter. I hate to bring up MJ or Kobe but they have hit their fair share of buzzer beaters. You can find it just YT or Google search it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by And1AllDay
    When I say Myth, I mean assuming that if he took 1 half court shot per game his FG% would plummet 10% or so.
    Wait, why am I taking so many half court shots again?

I usually hit open layups

You think that a 3-4% drop in fg% don't matter to them? This is EXACTLY why Lebron is not doing it. He has admitted it himself in several interviews.

No one with an IQ above 80 thought it would drop by 10%. 3% is still an substantial number, and if you're obsessed with efficiency, it's even more important. I'm happy to see that Durant has quit with this foolishness. He's playing the game the way it should be played now, still efficient, but not shying away from any type of shot that might help his team get a win.

The thing is, Lebron wouldn't be doing it either if he played on a lesser team, and more importantly, in the West. As it is now there is no urgency for the Heat in the regular season, and they know they can coast and still get a top 3 seed. That makes it also more justifiable for Lebron to shy away from buzzer beaters. He is protecting his own stats because he is in a position to do so. If he was fighting hard in the West for a playoff seed this bs would not be happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    Wait, why am I taking so many half court shots again?
    Four point line?

Dunking on everybody in the park Breezy's Avatar

Nba players are some of the dumbest people walking the earth. Do you think they've done the math and are aware of the FG% impact over the course of the season or do you think maybe they're just concerned about the shot at hand? Anyone with 2 eyes can see they hold back on purpose. When it's an important shot they're never late. You just have to know a little something about human nature.

Great college starter Quickening's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by havoc33
    You think that a 3-4% drop in fg% don't matter to them? This is EXACTLY why Lebron is not doing it. He has admitted it himself in several interviews.

No one with an IQ above 80 thought it would drop by 10%. 3% is still an substantial number, and if you're obsessed with efficiency, it's even more important. I'm happy to see that Durant has quit with this foolishness. He's playing the game the way it should be played now, still efficient, but not shying away from any type of shot that might help his team get a win.

The thing is, Lebron wouldn't be doing it either if he played on a lesser team, and more importantly, in the West. As it is now there is no urgency for the Heat in the regular season, and they know they can coast and still get a top 3 seed. That makes it also more justifiable for Lebron to shy away from buzzer beaters. He is protecting his own stats because he is in a position to do so. If he was fighting hard in the West for a playoff seed this bs would not be happening.
    Lol at you believing OP random figures.. show me one player who every game takes a shot they have 5 percent chance of making, I.e a heave from there own half. If a player actively refuses those shots you're more looking at it effecting there fg% by 1 at most.

[QUOTE]James had just recorded 27 points, 12 rebounds, eight assists and four steals in a victory against the Bobcats, and yet one number struck him as entirely unacceptable.

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by Quickening
    Lol at you believing OP random figures.. show me one player who every game takes a shot they have 5 percent chance of making, I.e a heave from there own half. If a player actively refuses those shots you're more looking at it effecting there fg% by 1 at most.
    It's not only about heaving halfcourt shots, it's about passing up all types of desperation shots. He gives them to his teammates instead. It's well documented, but you can sit there in your little bubble if you want. ESPN ran a column on it a while back that showed Lebron's fg% could drop by 2-3%. But please, be in denial - keeps you happy at night I suppose.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I think some yahoo article years ago claimed Derrick Rose led the NBA in 30+ foot shots at the buzzer with something like 30-35 on the year so its not likely anyone has ever approached even 50. You would have to be trying. Kidd, Penny, and Sam Cassell took a hell of a lot but I cant imagine anyone has ever hit 70 attempts.

I think when Rose did it they said that minus those shots he would have been at like 46 point something on the year instead of 44.5 or whatever it was. So it makes a difference but not that major.

Quote Originally Posted by ripthekik
    When the players admit it blatantly themselves, what else do you have to say?
    I would have to say that Lebrawn is a two time back to back champion, back to back FMVP and back to back MVP..

S
    T
    F
    U

rip you are an idiot

Flaming guys for chucking and flaming guys for taking smart shots. ONLY ON ISH.

Quote Originally Posted by havoc33
    It's not only about heaving halfcourt shots, it's about passing up all types of desperation shots. He gives them to his teammates instead. It's well documented, but you can sit there in your little bubble if you want. ESPN ran a column on it a while back that showed Lebron's fg% could drop by 2-3%. But please, be in denial - keeps you happy at night I suppose.
    Stop bullshitting us, faggot. LeBron (and the other star players) take by far the largest amount of bailout shots on their respective teams.

Quote Originally Posted by HelterSkelter
    Flaming guys for chucking and flaming guys for taking smart shots. ONLY ON ISH.
    But not taking a long shot because it would hurt your efficiency is taking efficiency too seriously. Now that is a form of stat padding.