Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Grizzlies are trading Rudy Gay to Raptors in 3-team deal

Jose deserves 1 minute or more standing ovation when he plays the first game in ACC as a Piston.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiteng
    Jose deserves 1 minute or more standing ovation when he plays the first game in ACC as a Piston.
    Absolutely. So Calderon is a free agent this summer right? Could he come back to Toronto next season?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Velocirap31
    Absolutely. So Calderon is a free agent this summer right? Could he come back to Toronto next season?
    Unless Pistons ties him up with a new contract, yeah maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Velocirap31
    I wouldn't be surprised in the least. If he wants to come back and is willing to take a cheaper contract to play backup I'd be fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bcogswell
    I wouldn't be surprised in the least. If he wants to come back and is willing to take a cheaper contract to play backup I'd be fine with it.
    Cool. I have a feeling he'd like to return.

My thoughts on the trade that I left in the game thread. Thought I would share it here too:

Short-term move. Were going to pay Gay a lot of money and that doesn't give us the cap space to address other weaknesses on this team. I understand the Calderon trade because his trade value was at a high and Lowry is better than him, but trading Davis makes it clear that Colangelo wants to still build with Bargnani as a main piece... and that really boggles my mind.

If Bargnani isn't traded as well and Colangelo comes back, I think a lot of Raptor fans are heading out the door and not going to bother with this team whatsoever, because it's clear they have no long-term vision. It seems the franchise wants to get into the playoffs and get owned in the first round for next couple of years and have no more room to improve.

From a fan standpoint with Calderon and Davis, I'm gonna miss both. Calderon for being a fine pure point guard, unselfish, and the ultimate professional. Davis, I wanted to him start after his rookie season, really played well since Bargnani got injured and I thought he was going to be the future piece for this team, either rotational or starting.

So overall, the trade just didn't make sense, outside of probably getting Calderon off our plate.

The teams have confirmed that the trade is now official

The Toronto Raptors announced Wednesday they have acquired forward Rudy Gay and centre Hamed Haddadi from the Memphis Grizzlies in exchange for guard Jose Calderon, forward Ed Davis, a second-round draft choice in 2013 and cash considerations. The Grizzlies traded Calderon to the Detroit Pistons for forwards Austin Daye and Tayshaun Prince.

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=12250#ixzz2JW4XZMA6

Local High School Star LakersForlife's Avatar

grizz is stronger without gay imo. that lineup that took okc to 7 games.with zebo as the #1 scoring option

Wow, this actually happened.

Unbelievable. BC is moron. I like Rudy Gay, but let's be honest, he just isn't that good. He's never been an all-star. You can say he's underachieved to this point. He's an elite athlete, and can be clutch, but he goes MIA too often, and is not a great shooter. There's no guarantee this even makes us a playoff team. Gay will have to elevate his game big-time. This move is pure desperation by BC.

So we now have 3 guys in DD, Ross, and Gay who are practically the same player.

We give-up Davis, who finally started to produce after getting minutes, and has proven to be more valuable then AB.

The most depressing thing is that appears to confirm that the Raps are committed to AB to be their starting PF going forward. I hope I'm wrong.

I would have loved to see Calderon go to a contender. That being said, he'll make Drummond, and Monroe even better. The Pistons may sneak into the playoffs now.

Memphis didn't come off too bad. Davis, and Prince are above average players. Prince may prove to more valuable then Gay come playoff time.

Couldn't BC have just trade Calderon for Prince, without trading Davis away?

Rare fact: All the players being traded have never been traded before.

Quote Originally Posted by n00bie
    Rare fact: All the players being traded have never been traded before.
    And I believe all of them have only played for one team.

One question: What's gonna happen to Derozan?

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote Originally Posted by d.bball.guy
    One question: What's gonna happen to Derozan?
    Derozan should be trade bait. His extension killed a lot of whatever value he might've had though. Given that he can't shoot and or create off the dribble, he's a terrible fit beside Gay.

He's basically in the same situation Bargnani was. The Raptors outbid themselves and offer a premature extension to a player that hasn't improved much since coming into the league. Hopefully they don't make the same mistake and hold onto Derozan for 7 years in hopes that he'll be an exception and break out.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiteng

Raptor fans should be happy. If you're listening to your GM right now, it seems pretty obvious that Bargnani is going to be traded...assuming anyone else is interested.

Bargnani and his agent have apparently brought up the possibility of being moved and Colangelo just said they've discussed and are exploring trading him.

So, he will be moved...if anyone else wants to take him.