Totally Intentional

Default Re: Elie taunts Ainge, Ainge hits Elie in head with ball

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound
    Totally Intentional

Agreed. Barkley was like

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Ouch.

That was some intense passion in the game between those two though. The commentator was getting quite riled up about it as well.

College superstar

The funniest thing about this was Elie jumping up in Ainge's face as if he was going to hit him but actually did nothing. It's as if he was hoping that someone would hold him back, but they didn't get the memo.

damn, he threw that hard

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    The funniest thing about this was Elie jumping up in Ainge's face as if he was going to hit him but actually did nothing. It's as if he was hoping that someone would hold him back, but they didn't get the memo.
    lol this

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    i always love how ainge just plays it off nonchalantly like he was going for the outlet pass.
    The absolute best part is just nailed this guy in the face, but then he makes sure the he doesn't touch the ball until it goes out of bounds. Like that's the call he's worried about.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    The absolute best part is just nailed this guy in the face, but then he makes sure the he doesn't touch the ball until it goes out of bounds. Like that's the call he's worried about.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    No the funniest thing about this is how Danny Ainge plays it off like it's a complete accident. Yeah where was a rifle like that with no no arc going? lol. Right where he planned it to go...into the side of Mario Elie's head. It would have been interesting if he had thrown it at Hakeem though because he would have went ape shit and probably started throwing punches and Danny would have had to do another Tree Rollins take down haha.
    Last edited by Smoke117; 10-21-2011 at 07:08 AM.

I remember at the time, people were crucifying Ainge. But they forget that just 7 years earlier, Ainge's teammate(Bird) threw the ball at Laimbeer's head and was loved for it.

NBA Superstar

I was watching Game 7 of this series today and the commentators mentioned Ainge's antics from earlier in the series. According to the commentators (this may be obvious to some) Ainge admitted he was indeed trying to hit Mario Elie. However, Ainge apparently also stated he was not trying to hit him in the face (which could just be Ainge's way of. . . saving face).

Also, after watching the conclusion of Game 7 tonight, I may have made a complete 180 degree turn regarding end-of-game dunks by winning teams. I've always been in favor of pro teams dunking regardless of their lead and the time left. But watching Houston laughing and celebrating with 12 seconds left, and the Suns defense clearly in "Okay, you won the series, we give" mode, waiting for Houston to dribble out the clock, only to have Hakeem attempt another monster dunk. . .I guess I'll just say it was pretty satisfying to watch Charles Barkley flagrantly foul him (I knew Hakeem would be alright, so it wasn't some kind of bloodlust).

Anyway, here's Barkley taking out Hakeem in the waning seconds of a game already decided: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAkwsv314VM

I have to think it was plays like this in a series like this that helped stomp out nearly all of the dunks we used to see in situations like this.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 11-08-2011 at 12:36 AM.

That clip always cracks me up. Ainge was one of the best role players out there. He was tough as nails and a guy you could depend on. Loved his fearless and warrior mentality.

Local High School Star Solid Snake's Avatar

Unhappy Re: Elie taunts Ainge, Ainge hits Elie in head with ball

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Ainge throwing the ball at Elie has been posted here, but not the Elie taunt towards Ainge, this explains why he threw the ball. Ainge was a scrappy mother ****er.

I actually remember a couple rare occasions when he got testy during COMMENTARY with John Thompson on TNT. Now normally, those two + Kevin Harlan have a very casual banter, with Thompson playfully talking down to Ainge. That's how it normally is 99 out of 100 times. Well I remember once Ainge reacted in a way that made Thompson have to laugh it off and tell him "I'm just joking with you man," not in those words but something like that.

Local High School Star

religion of peace....

Totally justified. The taunting was way over the line.

Ainge was such a solid baller for so many years. Infinite hustle. Great team player.