Thread: pick and roll

Default pick and roll

I have been a basketball "player" and fan since 1992 and I always marveled how such "simple" play could be applied at the highest level of basketball and even the elite defenders can be beaten or feel lost with a well timed PnR.

I have seen my share of youtube videos explaining defending it, apply the options from ball handler's POV, and screener's POV.

My questions for you guys on the forum:

how much do you apply in pick up games, organized games, etc...

Is it a favorite tactics for you?

If so, which options do you favor and why?

rolling to the basket or popping out for the open J?

Discuss.

Default Re: pick and roll

I'll go first.

I have been taught this tactic at my first basketball camp and it was basic with not as much details because we were youngsters.

to me it was me as the screener stands with his arms protecting himself, sealing the ball handler's defender, then pinning that defender and sealing him off as I either ran to the corner for the open jumper or roll to the basket for a layup.

Not much details as I said but I practiced it with my partner and felt I became a decent pop jump shot man.

Pick and roll is very effective on pick up games because not a lot of teams defend it well using hedges. It needs more teamwork and communication in order to defend it.

Personally I love using it, I usually ask for a screen on my right and just blow by my defender and then it usually ends up with a floater or a pass depending on who is open after help D. Another reason why I like asking for a P & R is that I like to involve my team-mates, hence increasing team spirit imo.

i only use it if I wanna force a switch if there is a weak player on the floor.

if they are trapping a good ballhandler on my team I go set the screen myself and slip it just as they try to trap.

im a pretty good shooter and a fairly decent ballhandler so I always get hedged on screens. It's made me a lot better of a passer over the years, I used to turn it over a lot on p&rs

it's only affective if the weak side help is not in position to help on the the guy rolling to the basket, if his head is turned then its an easy bucket. That's why it's important to have guys moving around constantly

CP3&BG&JxOVER&DJ&MB&JJ beastmode's Avatar

it's fun when u play with people who can set a good pick and dives

I don't play organized ball. Every time I play, it's with/against random people at whatever park I'm at. People don't set screens or do the PnR much. Everybody has to play hero ball, where they all go into full isolation mode.

I always set screens and PnR, but the PnR is silly to do with random street ballers because usually if I find myself running open towards the rim, the ball handler will still hold the ball with 2 defenders on him and then shoot a dumb fadeaway shot that never goes in.

Saw a basketball once

^ haha so true.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by beastmode
    For sure. If you have a teammate who truly respects the idea of the pick-and-roll and believes in its execution, it's a wonderful thing.

I play with a wide range of players, including college level and minor league types but the god's honest truth is the best pick-and-roll player I've run with over the last few years is a 5'9'' 50 year year old. I understand how ridiculous that sounds, but the fact he has no delusions of grandeur about scoring a ton or "getting his" allows him to approach the game from an angle that leads him to do whatever he can to help his team win.

With that in mind, this fellow will set pick after pick, and he always knows exactly when to roll and how to roll. It repeatedly forces a situation where his defender must at least hedge (and that defender likely feels comfortable in doing so since his guy is 50 years old) and this will either provide me adequate space to get a clean look or my screener will roll craftily toward the hoop where he's often in position for an easy bucket or a drop off to an open man after drawing help.

The unathletic old fellows who keenly run effective pick-and-rolls serve as motivation for me to run them the right way as well. I admit I am guilty of too often picking and standing, or picking and popping, which are both cop outs. I regularly must remind myself to roll, even if it feels like the roll isn't going to take me to an open area. Sometimes the simple act of rolling is enough to create an opportunity for your teammate if nothing else. It's like how filling the lane on a break, even if you know you're not a legitimate option, can be very beneficial just in terms of making the defense worry about an extra man, creating a lane for someone who is in scoring position.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 04-29-2013 at 04:22 PM.

I like playing pick'nroll in pickup games, it's fun, a challenge and puts you in position to affect the game. A few "rules" I think works in pickup setting:

1: Don't blame others for not playing pickn'nroll, go set the screen yourself. You will find someone who knows how to play it, call him up for a screen when you are in good position with the ball.

2: Screen with outside shoulder and not in the middle of your body, don't let guys go under the screen.

3: Don't pop after the screen unless you're a very good shooter, don't kid yourself.
    Don't pop if there are already two wing players on the side you're popping to, you'll never really be open.

4: Pass the ball to open teammates.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Most people can set a pick, doesn't mean it's any good for you to shed your guy. I'd say 9 out of 10 never ever roll to the basket. Most of the time, after I use the pick, the guy who sets the pick just stands there. So when I play with these guys, I virtually always take the shot. It's a bit selfish but if I get a a good screen and my shot is on, I'll take it.

Now on the rare occasions I play with Lithuanian, I become Steve Nash in assist mode. These guys set awesome picks and roll hard.

When you play with someone who knows the pick and roll - properly. You can have never played with them before and still have great chemistry.

Most Chinese people I played with and against rarely set picks or know how to roll. Exception to the rule was with this one guy who turned up one time to the rec ball, he was average build, average athleticism but he knew to set a pick and then roll towards the basket, man it was like instant chemistry!!

A side point, I was chatting to this guy who use to be pro. He says he prefers back picks, it's a lot easier to run, and for a shooter to get open. And I agree. It's not dependent on a PG to deliver the ball in a pnr situation. Then again, a lot of people can't understand the principle of setting a pick away from the ball...

However, for me the pick is now a major part of my offensive arsenal. I always call for picks now, whereas when I was younger I preferred to break em off the dribble.

Learning to shoot layups

yes

Learning to shoot layups Diegio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beastmode
    Agree with this.

It's simple but a very effective basketball play. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwT15tI3H70