Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789
    shhhhhhh

Default Re: The "ORtg" advanced stat is absurd

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    agreedmost advance stats require context through.
    yep...

They all require context on some level. At minimum you need to investigate why they are what they are and not just take the numbers at face value. usually just looking at the numbers involved to create the advanced stat or a box score will give you a frame of reference to put the stat in it's proper place.

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    That means Jose used his possessions more efficiently than Durant without looking at volume. Which is a true. It's not saying he was a better player. Get it?

Understand the meaning of a metric before you criticize it.
    No, he'll never understand. Understanding context and using simple logic is something branslowski and a lot of other Kobe stans are incapable of doing.

DMavs I have a question for you.

Say you have 2 players who both shoot 50%.

One player shoots 50% every game. The other shooting 60% in half of his games and 40% in the other half.

Who would you rather have?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doranku
    DMavs I have a question for you.

Say you have 2 players who both shoot 50%.

One player shoots 50% every game. The other shooting 60% in half of his games and 40% in the other half.

Who would you rather have?
    I honestly don't know. You?

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    No, he'll never understand. Understanding context and using simple logic is something branslowski and a lot of other Kobe stans are incapable of doing.
    He understands it just fine. Branslowski is actually smart, he just plays dumb when it suits his agenda.

He knows perfectly well how to use context with fg%...and then turns around and acts like he can't do the same thing with ortg. Why? Because that would destroy his entire point.

It's like he sees something called "offensive rating" and thinks just because of the name it's supposed to tell which player is better. It's hilarious...and he knows it.

There is no difference in using context for something as simple as fg% and as complex as ortg.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    He understands it just fine. Branslowski is actually smart, he just plays dumb when it suits his agenda.

He knows perfectly well how to use context with fg%...and then turns around and acts like he can't do the same thing with ortg. Why? Because that would destroy his entire point.

It's like he sees something called "offensive rating" and thinks just because of the name it's supposed to tell which player is better. It's hilarious...and he knows it.

There is no difference in using context for something as simple as fg% and as complex as ortg.
    Pretty much this

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    I honestly don't know. You?
    I'm not sure either. Theoretically, I'd lean towards the one who shoots 50% every game because I think consistency is more valuable than fluctuating volume.

Actually, I think it depends on what kind of team you're on. If someone plays on a top defensive team who preaches defense first, I think I'd take the one who shoots 60%/40% because their team's defense can keep them in games during the off nights while they would likely have an insane winning% during the 60% nights.

Alternatively, if a team is more offensive-based in it's game plan. I think I'd value the consistency more.

Quote Originally Posted by Doranku
    I'm not sure either. Theoretically, I'd lean towards the one who shoots 50% every game because I think consistency is more valuable than fluctuating volume.

Actually, I think it depends on what kind of team you're on. If someone plays on a top defensive team who preaches defense first, I think I'd take the one who shoots 60%/40% because their team's defense can keep them in games during the off nights while they would likely have an insane winning% during the 60% nights.

Alternatively, if a team is more offensive-based in it's game plan. I think I'd value the consistency more.
    I've thought about this a lot now. I think I'd go with the 60/40 guy. 40% shooting just isn't that bad. In the sense that it's not killing your team if a guy shoots 40%, but a guy shooting 60% helps a lot.

Put it this way...if it was 70/30 vs 50/50...I'd go with 50/50...I think. But I don't think 40% is bad enough to just kill your teams chances of winning.

It's probably team dependent though like you said. I agree with everything you say above.