Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 08-30-2013, 03:28 AM   #1
GoSpursGo1984
Great young streetballer

GoSpursGo1984 has no real reputation yet.
Default How To Get Seperation

How do you get separation when your defender is guarding you close and stays close no matter where you go?
GoSpursGo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:34 AM   #2
9erempiree
26 yrs of watching NBA

9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: How To Get Seperation

Run through screens. Even if nobody is setting it for you, try to run through players.

Once in a while he will get lost in the pack and opens you up.
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Are you referring to when you have the ball? Or when you don't have the ball? Or both?

Without the ball:

1. Use Screens: As empire said, even using unintentional screens (running near a teammate) can help create just enough separation needed to put oneself in position to receive a pass and square up.

2. Stay On Your Toes, Keep Moving: If you're really struggling to create separation, make sure you're not flat footed and making easy cuts. When I say "keep moving", I don't literally mean running at every given second, but try not to stay in the same place for longer than a couple of seconds. Make your movements sharp.

3. Use Baseline As A Runway: Attempt to speed from one side of the baseline to the other, using a screen if it's available. The defender should be looking to beat you to a spot. If they're playing super tight, this could very well allow you to set your feet, reverse path, and come back out the same side with a little separation.

4. Get Your Feet Wet: Maybe I should have mentioned this one before the baseline thing. Getting your feet wet was a term we used to refer to putting both feet down into the paint before V-cutting.

Usually, even when guarded tightly, you should be able to lead your man down into the paint, even if it takes a little contact and grappling. Once you've led this player to the paint, he should be between you and the basket. From there, using your body and some savvy and simple footwork, you should be able to initiate contact, give yourself a head start and pop out and open via V- or L-cut (L-cut being a lead up to the elbow, then some contact with the defender before making a 90 degree angle cut out to the wing).

5. Post Up: If a defender is comparable in size and is unwilling to give up a simple cut (or a complex cut), I say attempt to seal him by putting your back to the basket, making yourself large, and creating a passing target for your teammate. If you're able to successfully secure possession in this manner, regardless of where you are on the floor (even if you're 18 feet away), if you catch the ball with your back to the basket you should still be able to face and square up with a pivot.

All that said, if the problem is getting separation with the ball then:

1. Do Not Waste Your Dribble: When someone is playing extremely tight defense on me and it's a problem while I have a live dribble, I'll often look to give the rock up and get it back... just so I can operate from triple threat.

A lot of players have a habit of receiving a pass and initiating a dribble without having any real purpose or reason. They've got nowhere they need to go and no moves they plan on making right away, they're just dribbling to dribble. Against a great defender, this can be hazardous, as initiating a live dribble removes half the possible maneuvers in one's repertoire.

If you're able to secure the ball without having used your dribble, you're going to be in good shape. A really, really tight defender will often have a couple of big weaknesses. Primarily, guarding so tightly means he must respond to any quick or sudden movements on his opponent's end. This is why I highly recommend being well-versed in triple threat maneuvers. This would include: stepping through (physically creating space by pivoting toward the defender) and jabbing (feigning quickly in one direction with the foot that isn't planted).

Running theme on close defenders: If you're able to get them to shift their body weight just ever so slightly in one direction, it's likely to open a big opportunity for you offensively. Guarding so close does not leave those guys a safety net. If they make a small mistake, they're often done.

2. Keep It Simple: It's easy to get caught in the mindset that players like Allen Iverson lose their defenders through a series of incredible dribbling moves but the truth for most players in the world is that it's easier than that. You don't usually need a double cross to behind the back dribble fake to elude a tight defender. Sometimes a quick in-and-out will be enough to create space or evoke a response. In fact, sometimes even running in one direction then hesitating for a moment can be enough as again, a defender guarding that closely must respond to everything more suddenly than if he were providing a little bit of space.

In summary, I guess I'd recommend

-Initiating Body Contact
-Getting One's Feet Wet
-V-cutting, L-cutting, Cutting
-Using Screens
-Triple Threat
-Fakes, Fakes, Fakes (ball fakes, jab steps, shot fakes, step fakes)
-Patience
-Confidence (know they're at a disadvantage)

Also, I like this video via Richard Hamilton: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzLA78Qb3fg
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Pushxx
Anti-NBA Hipster

Pushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSpursGo1984
How do you get separation when your defender is guarding you close and stays close no matter where you go?

Before you dribble: jab step, dribble through his legs, etc.

While dribbling: spin move, crossover, back him down.

Without the ball: find screens, post up.

Just some random tips.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:55 AM   #5
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Everything that rake said.

and... making hard moves and then pulling back or reversing direction. Dribble two hard dribbles right and then spin or reverse cross to a jump shot... those kinds of moves create separation most people. People who play tight have to guess where you are going unless you are really slow so just jab first and see what they do. If they move then immediately go the opposite way.... If they don't move, then that means you can blow past them. Proceed with ball low an away from your body on your dribble and blow past them.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
FreezingTsmoove
#H3AT nation,GangGreen

FreezingTsmoove posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryFreezingTsmoove posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Ask your friend or teammate for a screen when you catch the ball. Also if he is defending you close ask your teammate/friend for a screen underneath the basket (off the ball). If you have the ball and he is playing intense defense that wouldn't allow you to get your shot off then drive hard with your dominant hand. It should be easier to drive since he is close to you.
FreezingTsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
FreezingTsmoove
#H3AT nation,GangGreen

FreezingTsmoove posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryFreezingTsmoove posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

How is your defender guarding you btw? Is he not letting you get the ball because of tough defense or when you have the ball you can't shake him off to get seperation. Sometimes we all just have to admit we cant beat the defender to get help from others from screens then
FreezingTsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
mugiwara
High School Starter

mugiwara is a pretty well-respected postermugiwara is a pretty well-respected postermugiwara is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
How is your defender guarding you btw? Is he not letting you get the ball because of tough defense or when you have the ball you can't shake him off to get seperation. Sometimes we all just have to admit we cant beat the defender to get help from others from screens then

I hate that mentality, i dont care if you can beat your man a screen is almost always a good thing. On or off ball.

cept maybe when they play zone.
mugiwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:33 AM   #9
CeltsGarlic
Real quick

CeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

for me is having your sig moves and counters. If I have ~3 seconds to spare I like to make the same move twice and on third time I give him a counter. Boom, hes done. And after that one time you beat him, your all in his head, you feel good, its a game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qstgKeJgdOU&noredirect=1
this stuff is good while still keeping live dribble.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
JimmyMcAdocious
NBA sixth man of the year

JimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation here

A good hesitation and stepback works for me. Then again, most people I play can't defend for shit. You should really work on changing pace. Become half decent at that and you can get anywhere on the floor in any rec league-below setting.

Rake killed this tho.
JimmyMcAdocious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

This is pretty much all covered, but I'll also add the info I give to the kids I coach. There's two ways to get open: Change of pace ... and Change of direction.

One of the things I try to teach is that perpetual motion type player, while super when it's going, isn't realistically sustainable. Even over the course of my lifetime, I'm talking 3-5 players at the NBA level that really pulled it off. Ray Allen, Reggie Miller, Rip Hamilton. Maybe JJ Reddick, in a more limited role.

Going from 0 to 20 in a second is actually more effective than going 10 - 25 over that same second. Use your physicality. If a guy is that much quicker than you, chances are you're stronger. If that's the case, stand still, lean on him, and bounce off from there.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
This is pretty much all covered, but I'll also add the info I give to the kids I coach. There's two ways to get open: Change of pace ... and Change of direction.

One of the things I try to teach is that perpetual motion type player, while super when it's going, isn't realistically sustainable. Even over the course of my lifetime, I'm talking 3-5 players at the NBA level that really pulled it off. Ray Allen, Reggie Miller, Rip Hamilton. Maybe JJ Reddick, in a more limited role.

Going from 0 to 20 in a second is actually more effective than going 10 - 25 over that same second. Use your physicality. If a guy is that much quicker than you, chances are you're stronger. If that's the case, stand still, lean on him, and bounce off from there.
I like all of this. Good stuff. Constant motion is a big misnomer for many players. They stop moving without the ball because they believe it means always moving at a quick pace. Such a prospect is daunting. So again, I like the way you sum it up.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #13
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

OhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation here

Play ball like a game of chess... see 2-3 steps ahead. First 3 times you get the ball drive hard right and then pass it for no reason. 4th time you get it fake right and go left, your defender will always aggressively try to cover your right after the first 3 times. Learn to think like that. Always be aware of what your defender is expecting of you. He is always expecting you to do something. Its usually what you do most often or what you did last. Changing speeds is key here. Your most explosive move or fastest speed should be your ace up your sleeve. Always go slower than you actually can. This sets him up to expect you to move a certain way. What helped to understand this aspect was boxing. Learn how boxers feel each other out. They don't start a fight throwing haymakers, they throw little jabs just to see how the opponent reacts. Is he overreacting or is he underreacting? Read that. Get into their minds. Feel them out as they say. Anyway, im rambling.

Eventually you'll pick up on the psychological aspect of it (it'll probably take a while) and you'll get to a point where you can do the opposite of what the defender expects every time you touch it. Thats when the defender gets the shaky foot and constantly shuffles his feet on D because you've been constantly keeping him off balance.

And Honestly this is probably the toughest aspect of being a good offensive player. Staying dynamic, being able to take advantage of any situation. Think Kyrie Irving. He doesn't do anything crazy.. just always the right move at the right time.

Last edited by OhNoTimNoSho : 09-10-2013 at 07:38 PM.
OhNoTimNoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
mugiwara
High School Starter

mugiwara is a pretty well-respected postermugiwara is a pretty well-respected postermugiwara is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
Play ball like a game of chess... see 2-3 steps ahead. First 3 times you get the ball drive hard right and then pass it for no reason. 4th time you get it fake right and go left, your defender will always aggressively try to cover your right after the first 3 times. Learn to think like that. Always be aware of what your defender is expecting of you. He is always expecting you to do something. Its usually what you do most often or what you did last. Changing speeds is key here. Your most explosive move or fastest speed should be your ace up your sleeve. Always go slower than you actually can. This sets him up to expect you to move a certain way. What helped to understand this aspect was boxing. Learn how boxers feel each other out. They don't start a fight throwing haymakers, they throw little jabs just to see how the opponent reacts. Is he overreacting or is he underreacting? Read that. Get into their minds. Feel them out as they say. Anyway, im rambling.

Eventually you'll pick up on the psychological aspect of it (it'll probably take a while) and you'll get to a point where you can do the opposite of what the defender expects every time you touch it. Thats when the defender gets the shaky foot and constantly shuffles his feet on D because you've been constantly keeping him off balance.

And Honestly this is probably the toughest aspect of being a good offensive player. Staying dynamic, being able to take advantage of any situation. Think Kyrie Irving. He doesn't do anything crazy.. just always the right move at the right time.

Players that do this without dominating the ball and keeping their heads up whilst knowing where everyone is on the floor are what we call majestic unicorns.
mugiwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:05 AM   #15
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Post up.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: