Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-20-2013, 01:09 AM   #16
plowking
Banned

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The guy who starts fights at the park

I think the best thing to do on a basketball court when it comes to streetball is fight fire with fire.
My game is 100% James Harden. I either pull up for a 3, or drive. Mainly drive. And being 6'3, 220lbs and an avid gym goer for the last 4 or 5 years, I don't get a fair shake when it comes to fouls. I literally get guys grabbing me on my arms to stop me on drives and they don't call anything (we play defense calls fouls). On the other side of the court, I'll shuffle my feet, stay in front of my man, and they'll drive into me and call fouls.
Like yourself, if I notice this kind of douchebaggery, I just make sure I foul them hard after that. If they're going to make those calls, they'll have to earn them.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #17
KungFuJoe
Local High School Star

KungFuJoe has not been impressing people

6'3" 175? That's skinny as ****. I woulda got in his face...if he started shit, a fight would have happened. That's park ball.
KungFuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #18
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
That being said, I play with and love playing with some trash talkers. You can tell when some guys are just being funny/cool about it, and I don't put those guys in the same category as the others. But overall, unless it's someone I know, I prefer the only talk to be relating to the game.
I think you raise a good point. If it's done the right way, I do not have an issue with trash talk. I'm not big on trash talking myself, but I think there can be a gamesmanship aspect to it. At my court, I can think of a couple regulars off hand who are guys who just chatter all game long, sometimes at the expense of the opposition. He'll even argue calls or tell a defender he can't check him but his delivery is one that conveys he's serious, but understands it's just a game.

On the flip side, things always seem to be heading somewhere unpleasant when players take the trash talk too far, where it seems and feels more like legitimate verbal attacks and whatnot (like a few examples mentioned in this thread). At that point, like you said, it's usually just a matter of time before the game has to be stopped after a stupid argument jumps off and it all becomes more about anything and everything not related to basketball. By that point, that kind of talk isn't doing anything for your team, or anyone else out there. It's just a mess.

Unfortunately, I think some folks just have a bad sense of self. Sometimes, they may think they're just pumping up their team and having good fun when in truth, their profane putdowns aren't actually having the effect they desire, including some opponents accepting those putdowns as being about more than just the game.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 04-22-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #19
ZorPlay
Can barely lace up my sneakers

ZorPlay has an OK reputation so far

I suggest playing ball through ZorPlay. Not only does it keep games organized, but also can prevent situations like this. Through ZorPlay, you also can win prizes and help charities just by playing basketball. The way it works is you pay $5 to play your pickup game through the site, and if you win, you get your $5 back. There is a process that leads to winning huge cash prizes, but you can find all that out by signing up at www.zorplay.com

The way you can prevent situations like the one you described from happening though, is to video record your game on your phone or anything else. If anything happens that shouldn't, you can send it in to ZorPlay and they'll award the win to the "victimized" team. This can keep everybody playing fair, or they would lose out on their $5 automatically. This might not make sense right away, but check out the site, it has way more info. Also, you have a chance to win huge cash prizes and help charities at the same time, just by playing. Check it out, www.zorplay.com
ZorPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: