Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-15-2013, 12:51 AM   #16
Michael_Wilbon
Great young streetballer

Michael_Wilbon has not been impressing people
Default Re: Remember when Raptors Fan cried about losing Ed Davis in the Gay trade?

Ed Davis is gonna beast in this league one day
Michael_Wilbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #17
heavensdevil
Michael Lee

heavensdevil has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Remember when Raptors Fan cried about losing Ed Davis in the Gay trade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
Not sure what made Ross so untouchable, Ed has more potential in my books

Guess you haven't seen many raptor games, Ed has great potential, but Ross has tremendous upside, nice jumper and ridiculous athleticism
heavensdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #18
andremiller07
#Quincy Acy Bandwagon

andremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation here

The deal is looking horrible for Ed Davis, hes barley playing and won't likely play much with Z-Bo, Gasol and Arthur all healthy, hopefully they trade him before the deadline if possible to a team where he can play, maybe the Bobcats or something.
andremiller07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #19
red1
Dinosaurs

red1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gringos
Raptor fans on ish def band together thinking some wierd stuff. Even funnier than their love of Ed Davis is their hatrid and the blame they place on Bargnani. Because he's not a number 1 option he is useless and they are willing to give him away. I hope for raps fans and Bargnani that he does get a new start somewhere soon.

And then a derozen they act like he is a negative now because of getting 10 mill per. If it was 7 they'd love him but at 10 they hate- its not your money and those 3 million are not the bad dollars on the books.
Is this f*gg*t serious? You must be bargnani's mother the way you always defend that scrub
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #20
Legends66NBA7
Dinosaurs live again

Legends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Not going to type all this out again, but my thoughts on the Gay trade was this:

Quote:
Short-term move. Were going to pay Gay a lot of money and that doesn't give us the cap space to address other weaknesses on this team. I understand the Calderon trade because his trade value was at a high and Lowry is better than him, but trading Davis makes it clear that Colangelo wants to still build with Bargnani as a main piece... and that really boggles my mind.

If Bargnani isn't traded as well and Colangelo comes back, I think a lot of Raptor fans are heading out the door and not going to bother with this team whatsoever, because it's clear they have no long-term vision. It seems the franchise wants to get into the playoffs and get owned in the first round for next couple of years and have no more room to improve.

From a fan standpoint with Calderon and Davis, I'm gonna miss both. Calderon for being a fine pure point guard, unselfish, and the ultimate professional. Davis, I wanted to him start after his rookie season, really played well since Bargnani got injured and I thought he was going to be the future piece for this team, either rotational or starting.

So overall, the trade just didn't make sense, outside of probably getting Calderon off our plate.

So right now, were seeing the short-term. Gay has 2 game winning shots and the Raptors have won 4 in a row and are 5-2 with him. However, he's still struggling from the field shooting a shade under 39% and is 5-31 from the 3. His defense has been good, especially his help defense, but that still doesn't justify his current contract.

Davis isn't getting playing time, like others have mentioned, because of such a dominant big man tandem. It's was big loss for us because he was producing the same production Amir Johnson was in less minutes, at a cheaper price. Sure, he wasn't as skilled and he might have been playing for that big contract, but he was a piece I think we could have hung on to, instead of having an overpaid SF (among other overpaid players). At least, couldn't we have gotten somebody for Bargnani instead ? Everyone I know that is a Raptor fan, wanted Bargs gone.

Glad Gay is here regardless, but how are we going to look in the future and how do we support him and cover his weaknesses ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavensdevil
Guess you haven't seen many raptor games, Ed has great potential, but Ross has tremendous upside, nice jumper and ridiculous athleticism

When will Ross get the playing time to show that tremendous upside ? I honestly think we wasted a pick on him and should have gotten Drummond in the draft, since we now got Rudy Gay.

Last edited by Legends66NBA7 : 02-15-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #21
madmax
Decent college freshman

madmax has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge
Can anybody translate? Sorry, we don't speak Retard.

madmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #22
andremiller07
#Quincy Acy Bandwagon

andremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
At least, couldn't we have gotten somebody for Bargnani instead ? Everyone I know that is a Raptor fan, wanted Bargs gone.
Is there anything on the Kings other than Cousins/Evans the Raptors would want for AB? Jason Thompson is a Ed Davis type (not as talented as Ed but decent still), Marcus Thornton maybe something else I don't know. I would love AB on the Kings as a stretch 4.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #23
Legends66NBA7
Dinosaurs live again

Legends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremiller07
Is there anything on the Kings other than Cousins/Evans the Raptors would want for AB? Jason Thompson is a Ed Davis type (not as talented as Ed but decent still), Marcus Thornton maybe something else I don't know. I would love AB on the Kings as a stretch 4.

Yeah, Thompson would be nice. Maybe Garcia or T-Rob ?
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #24
andremiller07
#Quincy Acy Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
Yeah, Thompson would be nice. Maybe Garcia or T-Rob ?

I assume you want Garcia since his contract is going to be up for cap space, I'm torn on T-Rob I just don't know how good he can be yet tbh, hopefully he can turn into a Paul Milsap type but I keep hearing they want to make him a SF which I can't see happending but I wouldn't give up on him that quick.

Could be a good trade for both teams but I'm pretty sure the Raptors organisation would want more than Thompson and a throw in for a former #1 pick who in the past has put up solid numbers even if hes overpaid. Would require a 3rd team most likely.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #25
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

obviously, because it should have been Bargnani being traded, not one of the fan favourites and future building blocks of the franchise.

you have to give up something to get something back but it was a short sighted move by BC, unless he is planning to deal Bargs as well by the deadline. If he doesn't we are fcuked in the playoffs with a guy like him who is allergic to the paint.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #26
el gringos
Decent college freshman

el gringos is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
obviously, because it should have been Bargnani being traded, not one of the fan favourites and future building blocks of the franchise.

you have to give up something to get something back but it was a short sighted move by BC, unless he is planning to deal Bargs as well by the deadline. If he doesn't we are fcuked in the playoffs with a guy like him who is allergic to the paint.
This is a perfect example right here

The teams success will be determined by what one of the players can't do not what the whole team can't do. Because Bargnani isn't the post scorer they need its his fault that nobody else on this professional basketball team is?

The Rudy gay trade was a great deal- for the raptors. If they get amare the raptors are a top 5 team in the east
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #27
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

This thread is stupid (what a surprise).

The issue wasn't losing Ed Davis. Davis, while soid, should top out as a good bench player which is obviously replaceable. The issue was taking a gigantic salary for a player who has been above-average at best for almost 2 years now. The issue was signing Derozan to his extension, drafting Ross, signing Fields then trading for Gay. Spending huge money and assets (draft pick) while doubling-up on two positions.

The issue is that the Raptors are a capped-out team, with no All-Star, no draft pick and with likely a 1st round playoff exit as their ceiling for the immediate future. For the Raptors to become anything signfiicant in the East, it basically hinges on Valanciunas developing into AT LEAST a borderline All-Star caliber player. And as much as I like him, that's no guarantee.

Those are the issues.

Last edited by Qwyjibo : 02-15-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #28
phoenix_bladen
1999 St Matt BallTeam

phoenix_bladen has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
This thread is stupid (what a surprise).

The issue wasn't losing Ed Davis. Davis, while soid, should top out as a good bench player which is obviously replaceable. The issue was taking a gigantic salary for a player who has been above-average at best for almost 2 years now. The issue was signing Derozan to his extension, drafting Ross, signing Fields then trading for Gay. Spending huge money and assets (draft pick) while doubling-up on two positions.

The issue is that the Raptors are a capped-out team, with no All-Star, no draft pick and with likely a 1st round playoff exit as their ceiling for the immediate future. For the Raptors to become anything signfiicant in the East, it basically hinges on Valanciunas developing into AT LEAST a borderline All-Star caliber player. And as much as I like him, that's no guarantee.

Those are the issues.

I totally agree with you here, however on the bright side the new CBA did help prevent some idiot proof for BC as we only signed fields to a 3 year contract. So hopefully when he comes off the books and gay we would have some room to use.

Assuming gay stays we could hopefully sign him to a more cap friendly contract? but that seems unlikely as he will hit his prime and want another max..........

derozan is overpaid but not the worst i guess......
phoenix_bladen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #29
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Exactly.

Getting Gay is not a bad move on its own. It's a risk because he hasn't been playing well but if you're trading for him, you're hoping he gets back to the "almost All-Star" levels he was at a couple years ago.

Getting Gay after you've re-signed Derozan for $40 million, signed Fields and drafted Ross is very questionable because you're locked into this roster going forward. And to me, it's nothing too good unless Valanciunas (IMO, the only player with legit potential) pans outs. It's just another example of Colangelo throwing shit against a wall and hoping something sticks. There is no plan.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: