Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 12-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation
Default One of those days

Ever since I started playing ball again after like a week and a half off I been killing playing so well. The ball feels good in my hands, crossing over, doing my moves getting to the racks, dunking on the break, and all that everything was good.

Then I hurt my knee (jumper's knee I think it was). I don't think of it as a big deal until I started playing and noticed it was really bothering me and effecting my game.

The problem wasn't just my knee though. The ball just didn't feel right in my hands. I couldn't even catch the dam ball.

My ball handling was suspect and I couln't make any moves. Everybody was wondering what was up with me.

To make matters worse I had to play against one of my rivals who I just want to destroy him every time but this time he got the best of me and now Im so hungry to get back on the court and murk him next time.

I dont get how I went from playing SO well one day to being completely shitty the next. I can understand my knee was injured but not being able to get a good feel for the ball is something else.

Do you guys know what the problem is?
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: One of those days

I have days like that too, I think its mostly mental. I do only play once a week though. Some times I feel so light on my feet and I feel like I can get around anyone. Others I feel sloppy and usually end up struggling to score and turning the ball over. When I am having off days like that I usually try to get under the basket so I can get banged around some which helps me play more aggressive.
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
Ever since I started playing ball again after like a week and a half off I been killing playing so well. The ball feels good in my hands, crossing over, doing my moves getting to the racks, dunking on the break, and all that everything was good.

Then I hurt my knee (jumper's knee I think it was). I don't think of it as a big deal until I started playing and noticed it was really bothering me and effecting my game.

The problem wasn't just my knee though. The ball just didn't feel right in my hands. I couldn't even catch the dam ball.

My ball handling was suspect and I couln't make any moves. Everybody was wondering what was up with me.

To make matters worse I had to play against one of my rivals who I just want to destroy him every time but this time he got the best of me and now Im so hungry to get back on the court and murk him next time.

I dont get how I went from playing SO well one day to being completely shitty the next. I can understand my knee was injured but not being able to get a good feel for the ball is something else.

you have to keep working on your game, everyone goes through spells of poor play

the best thing you can do, and I tell this to all my players, is to not be satisfied simply with knowing that you are playing poorly. You must understand WHY you are playing poorly. Think back to every mistake you made and why you made it: were you in a bad position to make a play? Did you make an ill advised pass, if so, what could you have done instead to prevent it? etc etc etc. You did not play poorly because you simply "felt off", you play poorly because you had poor results that stem from things that led to mistakes.

The best players go from feeling shitty to feeling like doing something about it fairly quickly. The quicker you are able to put it in the back of your mind, the quicker you will regain form. Notice I didn't say "forget about it". You HAVE to remember it, because if you wont you will simply keep making the same mistakes.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
01amberfirewv

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
you have to keep working on your game, everyone goes through spells of poor play

the best thing you can do, and I tell this to all my players, is to not be satisfied simply with knowing that you are playing poorly. You must understand WHY you are playing poorly. Think back to every mistake you made and why you made it: were you in a bad position to make a play? Did you make an ill advised pass, if so, what could you have done instead to prevent it? etc etc etc. You did not play poorly because you simply "felt off", you play poorly because you had poor results that stem from things that led to mistakes.

The best players go from feeling shitty to feeling like doing something about it fairly quickly. The quicker you are able to put it in the back of your mind, the quicker you will regain form. Notice I didn't say "forget about it". You HAVE to remember it, because if you wont you will simply keep making the same mistakes.

This is good advice. I've only been playing regularly for about 3 years but this is my second year coaching. I have been telling my players to start breaking down the game whether they are in or watching and decide why things happen and if what they can do to improve on them.
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:24 AM   #5
stevieming

stevieming has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

It's the rest of your body compensating, which makes you more uncoordinated. This then has an impact on you mentally, as you become frustrated and puzzled with:

huh, that's a usual move I do, why did it go wrong..

huh, that guy just blew by me, I usually stop him from turning the corner...

I tweaked my knee tendon 3 months ago and was playing on fire before then, after that I still played with that niggle, and it impacted my play a lot. Couldn't hit the J as well, threw bad passes, lost some motivation, over compensating led to a twisted ankle.....

One injury can often lead to another.....
stevieming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:22 AM   #6
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It's a head thing.

Like the poster above me mentioned when something with your body is wrong the rest of your body might try to make up for it. All it takes is for one bad play to occur because something felt funny and then your brain puts you into the anti-zone. I've had days where shooting the ball became an adventure for me because it just would not feel right in my hands. It was literally like my hands forgot what a basketball was supposed to feel like coming out.

What keeps me from staying too frustrated is moving to another aspect of my game, not worrying about it. If my shooting doesn't feel right fine, I'll set picks and make passes. Not rebounding well fine, I'll stick to my cover and try to force bad shots. Passing, moving, etc.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
MannyO
Super Cool E

So you guys think its a mental thing? That does make sense. Maybe I was focusing too much on the pain and not playing my game.

My knee was hurting so bad that I couldn't elevate on my jumpshot, blow past people on offense or even play good D. It started getting to my head so much that I couldn't even grasp the ball, and felt weak and helpless on the court.

I need to develop some type of Kobe mental toughness. He played with like 3 broken fingers so my small injury isn't anything.

All Im focused on right now is the next time I get back on the court im gunna be @ 100% and Im gunna destroy that kid, straight embarrass him.
He was talking so much shit and acting like he was mad good, I just cant wait.

You guys ever get extra motivation to go hard when your playing against someone you dont like?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:20 AM   #8
stevieming

stevieming has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
So you guys think its a mental thing? That does make sense. Maybe I was focusing too much on the pain and not playing my game.

My knee was hurting so bad that I couldn't elevate on my jumpshot, blow past people on offense or even play good D. It started getting to my head so much that I couldn't even grasp the ball, and felt weak and helpless on the court.

I need to develop some type of Kobe mental toughness. He played with like 3 broken fingers so my small injury isn't anything.

Dude, if it's hurting you that much you need to stop and get it healed up. Rest and proper rehab....

I messed up my achilles in my mid 20s when I was playing football once a week, basketball two to three times a week, and gym and doing plymetrics....I thought it was a small injury at first, as it didn't hurt, just discomfort and i could jump and ran as normal, then it started clicking and popping like crazy..

My tendon couldn't take it and I got tendinitis, I got peed off with it and kept on playing through the pain, this was an incredibly bad idea. Bottom line, it got so bad, it would hurt when I had a duvet on my foot! This injury then kept me from playing for close to two years!!! That's two years lost of my prime!!!

knees and tendons are no joke, research your injury and stop playing and rehab it...
stevieming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #9
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:

All Im focused on right now is the next time I get back on the court im gunna be @ 100% and Im gunna destroy that kid, straight embarrass him.
He was talking so much shit and acting like he was mad good, I just cant wait.

You guys ever get extra motivation to go hard when your playing against someone you dont like?

you can play hurt, but cannot play injured. get your knee checked, those injuries in HS can danger your ability later on.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
MannyO
Super Cool E

I never thought of it like that, whenever I had sometype of injury I always played through it (although I never had any serious injuries). The worse injury I had was probably a badly sprained thumb, so bad that when I even moved any finger on my hand there was a sharp pain. But I just took pain killers and played through it.

Whenever I had knee pains I still played because I just suspect that its jumper's knee because of all the jumping I do. Ive never had an ankle injury before in my life even with all the basketball I play very competitively (knock on wood lol) but I just take that as a blessing.

Ive rested it now though, no more pain so I should be ready to play as soon as I get back on the court, thanks guys.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: