Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
jongib369
Decent college freshman

jongib369 has an incredible reputation herejongib369 has an incredible reputation herejongib369 has an incredible reputation herejongib369 has an incredible reputation herejongib369 has an incredible reputation herejongib369 has an incredible reputation here
Default Chamberlain & Thurmond > Russell Defensively

Arguable? Kareem and Wilt both have said Thurmond was the best defender they ever went against...

jongib369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
Gotterdammerung
God-killer

Gotterdammerung is popular on this boardGotterdammerung is popular on this boardGotterdammerung is popular on this boardGotterdammerung is popular on this board
Default Re: Chamberlain & Thurmond > Russell Defensively

sheesh, some of those images need resizing.

FYI, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar never played Bill Russell. So there's that.
Gotterdammerung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Thurmond might be a better 1v1 post defender, but he isn't as good overall. Russell was the first anchor in the middle. He's the best.

I don't have either Wilt or Thurmond in the top 5 defensive centers. Neither of them is better than Russell, Hakeem, Robinson, Walton, or Dwight Howard.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Gotterdammerung
God-killer

Gotterdammerung is popular on this boardGotterdammerung is popular on this boardGotterdammerung is popular on this boardGotterdammerung is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoah10115
Thurmond might be a better 1v1 post defender, but he isn't as good overall. Russell was the first anchor in the middle. He's the best.

I don't have either Wilt or Thurmond in the top 5 defensive centers. Neither of them is better than Russell, Hakeem, Robinson, Walton, or Dwight Howard.
I agree with your earlier statement, but not so much the latter. Particularly when Wilt Chamberlain did perform the Russell role quite well on those great 70s lakers teams according to witnesses.

Care to explain?
Gotterdammerung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

ILLsmak has decent reputation

Probably because they were scared of him. Intimidation matters in the paint.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor

Bigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputation

stop making up shit
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation here

Russell Westbrook yes
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
ThaRegul8r
National High School Star

ThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Thurmond might be a better 1v1 post defender

Correct.

Quote:
but he isn't as good overall.

Also correct. But he was the second-best of the era though, as contemporaries attested to, which is nothing to be ashamed of.
ThaRegul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
fpliii
NBA All-star

fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
Correct.

Also correct. But he was the second-best of the era though, as contemporaries attested to, which is nothing to be ashamed of.

Sorta OT, but I'm wondering what your thoughts are on Walton's defense? I'm trying to decide whether—even with only a few non-injured seasons—he belongs in my top 10 defenders list (for the other thread).
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
BlueandGold
bball/boxing

BlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

No, Russell was one of the best team defenders of all time. I grew up in the 90s and even i can CLEARLY tell that by what little tape there is of Russell (mostly championship games). Russell was and is one of the greatest defenders of all time, and arguably one of the most cerebral. You don't just win 11 championships, 2 as a player coach, for no reason.
BlueandGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung
I agree with your earlier statement, but not so much the latter. Particularly when Wilt Chamberlain did perform the Russell role quite well on those great 70s lakers teams according to witnesses.

Care to explain?

You mean Wilt not being one of the 5 best defensive centers? If that's what you're asking, then it just comes down to there being a lot of guys. I have Wilt #6 and I thought about leaving Dwight off. But the truth is I think Dwight is the best space-eater I've ever seen and I think he's probably better than anyone, bar Russell. But I'm not willing to go that far yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
Correct.

Would he make your top 10 all-time defenders (not just centers)?
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:18 AM   #12
La Frescobaldi
I brick nerf balls

La Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation here

Kareem never played a game against Bill Russell.

Wilt Chamberlain was famous for using the needle on guys, and if that quote came after Russell's outrageous comments made from the safety of retirement, then there's no telling what he really thought.

I think Thurmond is right when he talked on this subject years ago.... he was able to play Chamberlain so well because he practiced against him every day when they were on the Warriors; and he was able to play Kareem so well because he'd already fought Chamberlain for so many years. I don't think Thurmond was better than Russell.

Wilt better defense than Russell? Chamberlain was an offensive force that has so far seen only one equal. That fact has to be accounted for when you consider how much energy it takes to excel on defense. After he blew out his knee in '70 and shifted his focus to almost pure defense, Chamberlain was better than the Bill Russell that I saw. I can't compare him to Russell's best days which was early 60s.

It's also not a fair comparison in another way and this is just an opinion based on old memories and thoughts more than watching any tape recently... but I believe Russell used non-stop running as one of the cornerstones of his defense. Those Celtics teams lived for transition ball. Bill Russell didn't just get the rebound and throw an outlet pass. By no means.
He flat ran guys into the dirt.
La Frescobaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: