Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #16
Clippersfan86
Banned

Default Re: Is the Blazers bench the worst in the NBA?

I agree with poster who said probably the WOAT bench. Lakers bench actually looks remotely "good" in comparison . Portland's best bench players would be 13th men on any remotely deep team in the NBA.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
The Cavs bench sucks, too. Not saying it's worse than the Blazers bench, but the Cavs bench is awful.

Boobie Gibson, C.J. Miles, Donald Sloan, Omri Casspi, Lon Leuer, Samardo Samuels, and Tyler Zeller.

The only two serviceable players I've seen are Gibson and Zeller, and Gibson is only useful if he's on, and Zeller is a rookie.

Is Casspi no longer serviceable? I remember he used to be.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #18
Myth

So far 0 points today through 3 quarters. Freeland just airballed an open jumper.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #19
supe12sta12z
I hit open layups

I don't understand why they won't have someone on their starting 5 come off the bench. Lillard coming of the bench would have really helped that bench with his ability to score and create.
supe12sta12z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #20
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by supe12sta12z
I don't understand why they won't have someone on their starting 5 come off the bench. Lillard coming of the bench would have really helped that bench with his ability to score and create.

I say make it Hickson.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #21
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

Blazers bench is the worst in the league by a mile. The Lakers bench looks great compared to this teams. Honestly, I haven't seen a bench in at least 5-6 years that is terrible as this.

Why don't they just go out and get Michael Redd or Delonte West? Insert West into the starting line-up as a SG. Put Matthews on the bench as a Sixth Man and sub in Matthews for West with 7-8 mins left in the 1st/3rd Q, then West is able to also run the back-up PG spot.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #22
supe12sta12z
I hit open layups

Blazers bench is bad by design. When put your best 5 players in the starting lineup you will have problems with the bench. This isn't NKA2k here.
supe12sta12z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #23
alenleomessi
yeah bitch! magnets!

the way LA has been struggling maybe he should be the one to play from the bench
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #24
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonislegend
yes.

Pretty much says it all.

But seriously...it's bad.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #25
SevereUpInHere
Utryin2getthepipe?

I haven't seen any Bulls games this year, and I'm not saying they're bad, but have they regressed from last year? They had a great bench and seem to have lost most of the important 2nd unit players they had.
SevereUpInHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #26
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
The Cavs bench sucks, too. Not saying it's worse than the Blazers bench, but the Cavs bench is awful.

Boobie Gibson, C.J. Miles, Donald Sloan, Omri Casspi, Lon Leuer, Samardo Samuels, and Tyler Zeller.

The only two serviceable players I've seen are Gibson and Zeller, and Gibson is only useful if he's on, and Zeller is a rookie.
The statistics help back up this position, too. Prior to Kyrie getting injured, the Cavs' starting five ranked third in the league in average points scored. Also, the starting five's +/- was the best in the league.

Now, statistics such as these can sometimes be deceiving, but in this case, they were spot-on. The starters can and have played with any team in the NBA. When the bench comes in, any lead is immediately gone and, if there is a deficit, it usually doubles in a matter of minutes.

Yes, the Cavs' bench gives the Blazers bench a run for their money... At least when Zeller was hurt earlier in the year.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #27
KG215
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
The statistics help back up this position, too. Prior to Kyrie getting injured, the Cavs' starting five ranked third in the league in average points scored. Also, the starting five's +/- was the best in the league.

Now, statistics such as these can sometimes be deceiving, but in this case, they were spot-on. The starters can and have played with any team in the NBA. When the bench comes in, any lead is immediately gone and, if there is a deficit, it usually doubles in a matter of minutes.

Yes, the Cavs' bench gives the Blazers bench a run for their money... At least when Zeller was hurt earlier in the year.
Yeah, when they played OKC and didn't have Zeller coming off the bench, their back-up bigs that logged minutes were Jon Leuer and Samardo Samuels; two players that have no business being a part of any 8-10 man rotation. Neither do Donald Sloan and Omri Casspi; and if Gibson isn't on, he's useless. Zeller and Gibson is a good start for the bench (unless Varejao gets traded moving Zeler into the starting lineup) but the rest of the bench barelly has any business being on an NBA roster, nevermind being a part of the rotation.

But back to the topic on hand. I was watching their game against the Nets today, and I'm pretty sure the commentator said "And the Blazers bench is finally on the board." It was midway through the third quarter.
KG215 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:31 AM   #28
flipogb
College superstar

I like that they put their best players in the starting line-up, tired of fake benches. specially with young teams, it makes sense to build up your good/great players into stars and then add the role players when you feel like you are on your way to being a legit playoff team
flipogb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:19 AM   #29
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Yeah, when they played OKC and didn't have Zeller coming off the bench, their back-up bigs that logged minutes were Jon Leuer and Samardo Samuels; two players that have no business being a part of any 8-10 man rotation. Neither do Donald Sloan and Omri Casspi; and if Gibson isn't on, he's useless. Zeller and Gibson is a good start for the bench (unless Varejao gets traded moving Zeler into the starting lineup) but the rest of the bench barelly has any business being on an NBA roster, nevermind being a part of the rotation.

But back to the topic on hand. I was watching their game against the Nets today, and I'm pretty sure the commentator said "And the Blazers bench is finally on the board." It was midway through the third quarter.
One of the good things about Kyrie being out as we found our backup point and it isn't Donald Sloan... Pargo has been pretty solid the last couple games. I think he, Gibson, Zeller and Miles make for a better bench rotation than what we were showing earlier in the season.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:38 AM   #30
Toizumi
veteran savvy

This situation we have now shows how bad we've drafted over the years.
We need a wingplayer that can create for himself and Babbit/Pavlovich ain't cutting it. I didn't like it when we cut Adam Morrison, as I feel that he could've created some offense for us (I'm serious).
The current FA pool sucks now.. Best we can do is Ryan Gomes (but he's in Germany now). I heard Michael Finley is trying to make a comeback
Toizumi is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: