Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #16
elementally morale
College superstar

Default Re: Kevin Durant or T-Mac: The Better Individual Talent?

McGrady had the most talent among all players I have seen coming into the NBA since 1980, not counting thse three: MJ, Magic and Bird.

Unless you count the mental preparedness as talent, that is.
elementally morale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #17
pauk
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
Tmac was not as physically gifted as Lebron but he was more overall skilled than he was. Specifically with his smooth jump shot.

Tmac was probably just as quick and fast as Lebron was, maybe even quicker and faster, but the strength is the biggest difference between the two and that is where Lebron has a huge physical edge over McGrady.

Stop it, stop... I dont give a damn how "smooth" his jumpshot looked when it went in at a lesser and more inconsistant efficiency, T-Mac was not better than Lebron at anything whatsoever... except shotjacking/chucking..

As far as this thread goes i would take Durant any day, T-Mac was somewhat of a better passer, Durant is MUCH more efficient / better shooter and more consistant... defensively pretty much the same, although i like Durants potential on that end aswell

Last edited by pauk : 11-24-2012 at 07:21 PM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #18
StateOfMind12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
Stop it, stop... I dont give a damn how "smooth" his jumpshot looked when it went in at a lesser and more inconsistant efficiency, T-Mac was not better than Lebron at anything whatsoever... except shotjacking/chucking..

As far as this thread goes i would take Durant any day, T-Mac was somewhat of a better passer, Durant is MUCH more efficient / better shooter and more consistant... defensively pretty much the same, although i like Durants potential on that end aswell
Obviously Lebron is better overall, that is not a debate, but in terms of pure ability/talent/skill, Tmac probably was better than Lebron was but like one person said.....talent doesn't mean squat if you don't accomplish anything with it.
StateOfMind12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #19
swi7ch
Banned

I like TMac cos he is not one-dimensional like Durant.
swi7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #20
tikay0
Banned

Gimme the guy that has the footwork to self alley oop on a game to game basis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFDX5wQz4VE

Here's Lebron's ole robotic ass. LMFAO! Can't even do it, without traveling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26YnWnwNmQo

T-mac was too smooth. LBJ is way too stiff to be considered fun to watch for me.

Last edited by tikay0 : 11-24-2012 at 08:24 PM.
tikay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #21
Dave3
NBA lottery pick

Quote:

Look I like LeBron as much as the next guy, but there's no doubt Tmac during his best years was a better shooter. The jumper didn't just look better, it went in. In their best respective jump shooting seasons, from 16-23 feet LeBron shot 43 and 40, while Tmac shot 44 in both. From 3, Tmac has had seasons of 39, 36.4 and 35.5. LeBron's best 3 point shooting season came last year at 36 with 2.4 attempts a game. Tmac's 39 came at 6 attempts a game. Even with more than double the volume he converted better percentages from outside.

I like both players, but to try and pass LeBron along as a better jumpshooter than Tmac is just plain wrong.
Dave3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #22
tikay0
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3
Look I like LeBron as much as the next guy, but there's no doubt Tmac during his best years was a better shooter. The jumper didn't just look better, it went in. In their best respective jump shooting seasons, from 16-23 feet LeBron shot 43 and 40, while Tmac shot 44 in both. From 3, Tmac has had seasons of 39, 36.4 and 35.5. LeBron's best 3 point shooting season came last year at 36 with 2.4 attempts a game. Tmac's 39 came at 6 attempts a game. Even with more than double the volume he converted better percentages from outside.

I like both players, but to try and pass LeBron along as a better jumpshooter than Tmac is just plain wrong.

These young ins don't remember MAC.
tikay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #23
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateOfMind12

Tmac from 01-05 was a great player that I respect. Tmac from post-05 is someone I don't. When I was talking about Yao, it was mainly about Yao at his prime which was from 06-09 and which was also when Yao played with the loser version of McGrady, of course, you say it was just the injured version of McGrady but whatever.

Injured/discouraged version.

That series broke my heart, and I was ready to give up as a fan... so I have no idea how T-Mac took it after being the main focal point and outplaying the other team's superstar by a good margin. I am probably even mentally weaker than he is, and I doubt I would have wanted to pick up a basketball in the offseason after that.

2004-05 should have been the start of something great with T-Mac and Yao.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #24
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3

Objective analysis helps.

pauk is obviously one of the ones who is left with a bitter taste in his mouth when he says "T-Mac".
Old 11-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #25
ThunderKat
High school junior varsity star

T-mac was a great talent, but his legacy is tied up with being injured a ton.
ThunderKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #26
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
I don't get this about T-Mac. Everyone says he doesn't or didn't work hard? You don't just make the NBA without any work. Ok, he may not have the work ethic of Kobe, but who the hell does?

Remember him as a rookie, than think of him in his 7th, 8th season with Orlando. That was work put in. Dude was what 180 6'7 twig out of high school?

Durant is durable, some people have good and bad luck. Mac was pretty durable his first couple of season in Orlando. Just bad luck.

Andre Miller, come in camp and the early seasons some times chubby and out of shape, yet homie has missed a handful of games his entire career. That is just pure luck.

Bad luck with the chronic back issues, which probably cut into the time he was willing to train.

His game was so explosive and athletically based, yet he let himself go in the offseasons when he was in Houston. I remember being so excited when he was coming to town in 2004-05 but was let down by how chubby he was at the start of the season and all the seasons that followed.

He set his own body up for failure by not maintaining it. You can't just flick a switch like that on and off when you're so dependent on athleticism. I'm no sports doctor, but my innate logic tells me that tricks your ligaments and leaves them vulnerable when they can't keep up with your muscle ignition.

But again, it could be due to the bad back which discouraged him from wanting to aggravate the spasms.

A dude like Andre Miller can get by being chubby at times since his game isn't as athletically demanding and is far more skill-based.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: