Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Default Re: International teams play a better brand of basketball than USA

Another difference is that we Lithuanians(not sure about other euro countires like spain) don't have that "first option", it's unecessary and only worse for team, instead that we have 7 first options. Even now my hometown team Zalgiris (which consists of 5 Lithuanian national team members of wcb2010) has no first option what so ever, there is 9-10 equal players who think how to help the team to win instead padding up triple doubles.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    If the Americans didn't have an athletic advantage over these squads, they'd be getting blown out of the building.

The game against Lithuania sparked these thoughts in me, but make no mistake about it.. I've felt this way for a while. I should also mention that I'm a Yank myself (born and raised in upstate New York). It's been over the course of several international competitions that I've come to this conclusion (which isn't hard to see)..

While the USA players are better individually (and they are), they seem to be entirely lacking in the fundamental concept of moving the ball. Of finding the open man.

Other countries are constantly looking to pass. The ball finds its way to cutters and open shooters. In contrast, the Americans over dribble for one-on-one moves that lead to contested jumpers.

I found myself rooting for Lithuania because the Americans are maddening to watch. To see the Lithuanian's make brilliant, crisp passes and smart decisions with the ball, immediately followed by a Gay/Durant/Rose/etc taking 10 dribbles then pulling up for 3... I mean, rooting for the other side was something I couldn't help but do.

Anyone else feeling the same?
    its because of the system the coach introduced to the team. international team plays a system that way. touch passing, off the ball movement, a lot of screens, cut to the basket etc. they play a lot of half court sets. while US' game is more of transition, they play press to force the other team a lot of turnover which usually leads to a dunk for US. but they do play half court offense, it just happened that their pressure defense is great. and regarding the guys dribbling too much they "maybe" doing it for on purpose like drawing double team to make a pass to an open teammate. now if they failed on that credit it to the opponents defense, 'cause they read the play so well it forced the ball handler to turn the ball over. and besides team US play fancy basketball so you'll see a lot of that happening, showcasing their talent through no look passes, beating their guys off the dribble, drawing double teams and shooting forced jumpers, alley oop passes, etc. about team USA being "more" athletic than the other teams, well give props to the players they worked hard for it. its not the skin color or what not, but its really YOU that matters because you are the one that will make yourself more athletic for the game.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

The team that wins is the team that plays a better brand of ball