Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fire Dwane Casey

Default Aldridge Impresses Raptors

Globe and Mail - After a solid solo workout at the Air Canada Centre yesterday morning, Aldridge firmly established himself as one of the front-runners the Raptors might snap up with their coveted No. 1 selection.

"Had a good workout," was the initial assessment of Jim Kelly, the Raptors' director of player personnel and the designated team spokesman at these workouts. "Young man came in in excellent condition, very good shape. Impressed us with his running ability, his conditioning. He's been working hard the last month or two. Skilled athlete, good footwork around the basket.

"He's making us think awful long and hard because he's a very good basketball player."

Later, Kelly added: "When we get down probably to the people we're really seriously considering for the top spot -- we're probably at five or six players right now -- and he's definitely one of them."

Aldridge and Raptors forward Chris Bosh have been practicing together at a Dallas gym, and Bosh has gone on record supporting selecting Aldridge.

"He just said the coach [Mitchell] is a very tough coach," Aldridge said Bosh had mentioned to him during training sessions. "He believes in competing and holding players accountable to playing defence and going hard every day.

"He said he loves it over here. He said he loves the town, the team and just playing for them."
    Aldridge to the Raps!

Discuss..

Banned

No. Draft Bargnani. He's so much better.

I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm Jerm's Avatar

Aldridge tested 28th out of 33 power forwards atheleticaly meaning he's not a good athelete. He has no refined post moves nor jumpshot to speak of. So where is this potential supossed to come from?

Banned

He has no refined post moves
    are you serious?

post moves are all he does have. it's the only reason anybody gives a crap about him. he might be a top 5 post-playing big man in the entire country and he's not even in the NBA yet, because post play is pathetic today. if this were the 80s nobody would care about the guy.

his flaws are that he's passive, inconsistent, and not really strong or quick. but lack of a post game? where did you get that from? it's the only reason he's in the first round, much less considered the future of post play.

Take his ability to play in the post, defend, block shots, his athleticism, his potential, his attitude, and his physical attributes, and combine them into an answer for the only question that needs to be asked of LaMarcus Aldridge from a Raptors standpoint:

Can he play center in the NBA?

If he can't, the Raptors have no use for him, he would simply clog the PF even further.

Banned

He can play C in the NBA. he wouldn't be able to guard say Shaq too well. But considering 90% of all NBA centers are either jumpshooters (Aldridge has the necessary length) or players with no offensive skill whose only offensive weapon is offensive rebounding, which Lamarcus is a fine rebounder, I think he'd do fine.

And as far as I know he's the biggest guy in this draft, right? There isn't any thought involved in this pick. Aldridge is the guy. If Lamarcus can't play C, Bargnani can? The only thing other than drafting Aldrige they should look into is to trade that pick for JO if Bird keeps that deal on the table.

I would want the JO trade, but his contract really sux... Pacers pick up half and its a done deal...

I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm Jerm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by geeWiz15
    He can play C in the NBA. he wouldn't be able to guard say Shaq too well. But considering 90% of all NBA centers are either jumpshooters (Aldridge has the necessary length) or players with no offensive skill whose only offensive weapon is offensive rebounding, which Lamarcus is a fine rebounder, I think he'd do fine.

And as far as I know he's the biggest guy in this draft, right? There isn't any thought involved in this pick. Aldridge is the guy. If Lamarcus can't play C, Bargnani can? The only thing other than drafting Aldrige they should look into is to trade that pick for JO if Bird keeps that deal on the table.
    Aldridge has no post moves and he's not the biggest guy in the draft. You know nothing, stop posting about stuff you don't know. Aldridge has post moves then Magloire is a beast in the post.

Exclamation

i still believe it's going to be bargnani, but im glad to hear that aldridge is making it a tough decision.

and i wouldn't read too much into aldridge's combine results... chris paul was only the 15th best athlete last year... tested to be slower than a number of PFs etc.... only to win the ROY easily.

ye I really have a feeling of a trade...

Banned

Aldridge has no post moves and he's not the biggest guy in the draft. You know nothing, stop posting about stuff you don't know. Aldridge has post moves then Magloire is a beast in the post.
    the reason you think he has no post moves is that you watched like one game of him and he didn't show anything. that's because he's passive and timid. not because he doesn't have the skillset.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Large words from a guy that repeatedly said he doesn't watch college ball. Aldridge has some post moves, but is a bit of weakling in the post. He got stopped a Glen, 6-7, Davis. All he needed to do was face up Davis, but instead he was taking all those bull**** fadeaways and trying to backdown the 300 lb beast. Aldrige's game is not refined and he has the stench of a Keith VanHorn like-career ahead of him.

However, he is still athletic, long, and quick. Is he worth #1? I'm not sure. In the past years all the way up to 2001, he wouldn't be top 5 probably. But this year is the year of role players so he has a chance. I doubt he can play center though. He's a twig and he's too in love with that jump shot to play big. I guess if they work out a Marcus Camby thing, but I believe his position to be PF in the league.

why do i have the feeling that aldridge, no matter what team he's going to, will be a huge bust?

Banned

Large words from a guy that repeatedly said he doesn't watch college ball. Aldridge has some post moves, but is a bit of weakling in the post.
    You're a prick. You just repeated every single thing I said, practically verbatim, yet you're saying I don't know what I'm talking about.

I've watched Aldridge, ok? And I watch some college ball. How can you not watch ANY college ball? don't be a moron. you take every self-depricating thing I say literally and everything else you ignore altogether.

Has post moves. But is a wuss. What is there to debate about? He has skill but doesn't know how to use it. Better than the rest of the league, that doesn't have the skill to begin with.

I don't thing this guy is going to be even JO level but he has a passable body and post moves. How bad can he be? LA Kwame at his best with a hook shot is his floor. JO is his ceiling. He's still better than most if not all of this allstar-less draft.

NBA Superstar

nor jumpshot to speak of
    jerm, you get dumber and dumber. aldridge had the best jumpshot for a big man in college bball this year. have you seen how smooth it is. maybe even smoother than bosh's.

i wonder sometimes if you even watch any games.