Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Rank the Last Six Champions

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    I agree with it. I'm not trying to purely stan but without Curry going nuclear... they lose to Boston. Particularly in Game 4. It's little things that can swing a series. If Curry doesn't go off and the Dubs go down 1-3? It's almost certainly a wrap. And Celtics would be 2022 Champs.
    curry being the best star of the 6 runs arguably has to be taken into account. also none of these teams do anything more than lose in 1st round without their stars. Mil did beat atl without giannis but atl didnt have trae

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

1. 2024 Celtics
    2. 2020 Lakers
    3. 2019 Raptors
    4. 2023 Nuggets
    5. 2021 Bucks
    6. 2022 Warriors

Nuggets fall some spots because of their lack of defense. 2020 Lakers didn't have a ton of supporting talent, but they built the team very nicely around LeBron & AD. 2019 Raptors I feel are underrated. 2022 Warriors are pretty "meh" besides Curry. Dray & Klay were past their prime.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

I agree with it. I'm not trying to purely stan but without Curry going nuclear... they lose to Boston. Particularly in Game 4. It's little things that can swing a series. If Curry doesn't go off and the Dubs go down 1-3? It's almost certainly a wrap. And Celtics would be 2022 Champs.
    Celtics had the worst defensive game plan on Curry, they were daring him to beat them with all the drop coverages. Should have been more aggressive with Curry and let the other guys beat you.

Celtics
    Lakers
    Raptors
    Nuggets
    Warriors
    Bucks

I really didn’t like answering this question

Quote Originally Posted by NBAGOAT View Post
    curry being the best star of the 6 runs arguably has to be taken into account. also none of these teams do anything more than lose in 1st round without their stars. Mil did beat atl without giannis but atl didnt have trae
    I'm curious what you base that on. If it's him winning with the least talented supporting cast, I'd agree with that. But if it's based off performance, no way in HELL was Curry better than Jokic, while Giannis has a clear advantage to me too. I feel you could also make genuine arguments for Kawhi & LeBron/AD as well, though I understand the L.A. duo could cancel each other out in this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    I'm curious what you base that on. If it's him winning with the least talented supporting cast, I'd agree with that. But if it's based off performance, no way in HELL was Curry better than Jokic, while Giannis has a clear advantage to me too. I feel you could also make genuine arguments for Kawhi & LeBron/AD as well, though I understand the L.A. duo could cancel each other out in this discussion.
    I think numbers will always kinda underrate curry though not to call other stars statpadders. Also unlike in 15,16 gs had an elite offense in playoffs in 22. Some of that is supporting cast being better but I give curry a lot of credit for that. Poole Wiggins etc aren’t big needle movers. I have playoff epm for those years.

2023 jokic 5.8(+7 on offense), 2022 curry +8(+5.8 on offense), 2021 Giannis +5.2(+3.8 on offense), 2020 lebron 6.4(+6.2 on offense), +7(+5.5 on offense).

It’s very debatable but curry definitely has a decent argument and highest epm though likely getting overvalued on defense.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

I think numbers will always kinda underrate curry though not to call other stars statpadders. Also unlike in 15,16 gs had an elite offense in playoffs in 22. Some of that is supporting cast being better but I give curry a lot of credit for that. Poole Wiggins etc aren’t big needle movers. I have playoff epm for those years.

2023 jokic 5.8(+7 on offense), 2022 curry +8(+5.8 on offense), 2021 Giannis +5.2(+3.8 on offense), 2020 lebron 6.4(+6.2 on offense), +7(+5.5 on offense).

It’s very debatable but curry definitely has a decent argument and highest epm though likely getting overvalued on defense.
    In my opinion he’s not getting overvalued on defense, it’s a byproduct of him being able to inflate defensive oriented guys offensively a large amount.

Combine that with point guard being the easiest place to “hide” a defender.

What I’m saying is Curry’s team boost on offense gives his team defense boost as well, because they are able to overachieve on offense with more defensive prioritized players

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    In my opinion he’s not getting overvalued on defense, it’s a byproduct of him being able to inflate defensive oriented guys offensively a large amount.

Combine that with point guard being the easiest place to “hide” a defender.

What I’m saying is Curry’s team boost on offense gives his team defense boost as well, because they are able to overachieve on offense with more defensive prioritized players
    Sure but epm accounts for teammate yet has curry the best defender of the 5 that playoff run

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Sure but epm accounts for teammate yet has curry the best defender of the 5 that playoff run
    I have to look more into it. But even if it’s “accounting” for it, it’s not perfect. And if Steph is on the floor with elite defenders he’s naturally gonna play better individual defense, it makes it easier for him.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    I have to look more into it. But even if it’s “accounting” for it, it’s not perfect. And if Steph is on the floor with elite defenders he’s naturally gonna play better individual defense, it makes it easier for him.
    Yea these metrics are supposed to not be affected by teammates and do decently at assigning credit to each guy. There’s a lot of math that goes into that I’m no expert in but this is what I read. Also kawhi, lebron, Giannis also played with elite defenders

1. Celtics
    2. Raptors
    3. Nuggets
    4. Lakers
    5. Bucks
    6. Warriors

I'm trying to decide this strictly in terms of power rankings rather than their title runs, but it's hard. For the most part they didn't face particularly strong opponents on average, so they're not as battle-tested as I'd like.

As much as people asterisk the Raptors' title for the Warriors' injuries, they ironically faced the best competition overall. They had a gauntlet out East between the Bucks and Sixers, and even those depleted Warriors were almost a worthy Finals opponent (if only not for Klay's injury).

Otherwise, it doesn't feel like the rest of the field beat anyone truly special except for maybe the '22 Warriors against the Celtics. Even then, Boston's stars—especially Tatum—showed first-time jitters that Finals.
    Last edited by Naero; 06-18-2024 at 09:06 PM.

Facts Are Misleading

Just like the Celtics were a bad matchup for Mavs this finals I think the Raptors are a bad matchup for the Celtics of this year.

The Raptors that year was as close to the Spurs style of play that I have seen since the '14 version on offense and defensively they were excellent too. The matchups are tough for the Celtics here.

Brown is a physical defender but that Kawhi was stronger than Brown, quicker than Brown and had great skill on top of it. There is a reason that he was getting a massive amount of MJ second three peat comparisons with an effective 3 pt shot. He was that dude. Tatum is too light in the paints to give Kawhi much trouble from getting to his spot. Jrue too small.

We saw how Siakum played against this Celtics team too. He has no problems whatsoever doing his thing against his matchup.

So when you're two best players is a tough matchup for the other team, it's gonna be a bloodbath type series.

Toronto had great role players too. Gasol was still providing a lot of effectiveness, Lowry was a pitbull doing all the little things at that point. Freddy could give you 20 a half if he was on. Serge Ibaka, Norman Powell. A very good 3 and D Guy in Danny Green.... That was one deep ass team around their two main scorers and they played great team ball.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

hummm.. no repeats.

1. 2023 Nuggets
    2. 2020 Lakers
    3. 2022 Warriors
    4. 2021 Bucks
    5. 2019 Raptors

Cant rate the Celtics, miracuously faced a path of no resistance.

Even then youd know the Cetics would blow the hell out of game 6. Theres no way theyd close.

They just werent ready.