Question Do people really think the Celtics are gonna beat the Mavs or Wolves...?

Seems like a lot of people right up until today were still saying the Celtics are clearly title favorites, it's theirs to lose, they should win it, they're the best team, etc etc

Are people still basing this stuff on their great regular season? Because I dont see how their playoff run supports that line of thinking so far. They've played cupcakes who were missing their stars and still managed to look shaky and unconvincing.

Naturally any result in the Finals is possible, I'm not saying theres NO WAY they'll win the Finals. But I think as of this moment the EVIDENCE suggests they're gonna get bullied straight out the gym by whichever team wins the West.

What are these people who still think the Celtics are favorites seeing that I'm not?

National High School Star Akeem34TheDream's Avatar

Default Re: Do people really think the Celtics are gonna beat the Mavs or Wolves...?

I think they have the highest ceiling as a team however they are way too inconsistent. Might be because of their young coach or their offense which is raining down 3s. Without a healthy Porzingis, I would bet against them in Finals.

Default Re: Do people really think the Celtics are gonna beat the Mavs or Wolves...?

Right now I'm leaning Minny. They seem better poised than the remaining teams to win defensively if their best player has an off scoring night. Dallas has the two best 'big game' players left....either one of them going over Boston if they advance wouldn't raise an eyebrow. The Mavs in particular have really grown over the season because I had them at best a 2nd round team.

Porzingis is the key. His switching mismatch post-up game is crucial on a strategic level.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    Porzingis is the key. His switching mismatch post-up game is crucial on a strategic level.
    Good luck counting on him

Good High School Starter

If Porzingis gets healthy, yes. If not, no. The Celtics don't have "that guy." They will need their depth to go all the way.

Youre saying they cant?

Of course they can.

Last night was the first time i watched the C's in the playoffs. They definitely don't look that good but i will wait until the series is over before making that call.

Maybe they look different when KP gets back. Maybe they start playing with urgency. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    Good luck counting on him
    He's been great scoring in the post this season.

He doesn't have to be relied on to be a go-to option, so it's worked out for him this season. If you're expecting him to be a first or second option like has been forced to in that past, that's when you run into issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally450 View Post

He doesn't have to be relied on to be a go-to option, so it's worked out for him this season. If you're expecting him to be a first or second option like has been forced to in that past, that's when you run into issues.
    This is true but he did not look good in the post during the couple games he played to start the playoffs. Couldnt get a basket over Tyler Herro. Forget about Bam Adebayo. Not sure if that was an anomaly or due to a change in how the playoffs are played. He isnt really a natural, fluid post player despite the good metrics there this season.

The real issue is they used him with puzzling infrequency as a pick n roll rim runner to start the playoffs, even tho thats where he’s most natural. I dont think he had a single lob in those two or three games he played in to start the series. He was hot from outside one of those games so nobody seemed to care, but they should be feeding him more easy baskets. Instead they isolate him in the post or one of their wings just waves him off for a mamba turnaround contested.

That said, KP is a good player but not an elite player. On top of that they dont maximize him within the offense. So while he does add versatility and depth to their lineup, he doesnt really give it the power spike I think a lot of people are imagining he does. At the end of the day they use him like a fourth option. So it’s not like theres a huge vacuum offensively when hes there or not there.
    Last edited by FultzNationRISE; 05-22-2024 at 01:32 PM.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

It's furthering the notion that regular season records don't mean that much anymore. The east could be worse than we thought, if you go by win % against the east and west separately, the Lakers have the same win rate as the Bucks; which resulted in a worse overall record of course since the Lakers played more western teams. Now, we're factoring in a banged up east? That just gets even worse.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wally450 View Post

Cant do much if you arent on the floor

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

I dont think Boston is better than the Wolves or Mavs... but their path has been such a joke, zingis and everybody else will be healthy for the Finals. Will KAT survive multiple more series with his jacked up knee? Will Luka? Will Ant hurt himself on a wild foray to the rim? Celtics just seem like they're going to win based on easy path and health.

Decent college freshman

Last night's game supported my belief through the first two rounds. They're not that much better than Indiana. That series isn't over.

So no, the whole thing is a toss up.

Very good NBA starter

Like I wrote elsewhere, I'm getting Denver vibes from this version of the Celtics.

They seem to have lost some of their identity with Smart, Brogdon, 2xWilliams gone.

It's quite obvious when you look at those players that they lost a lot of toughness and heart, particularly Smart and Timelord, but also Brogdon as a seasoned vet in playmaking.

This Boston team seems more distilled to its strengths which is 3 point shooting and iso scoring, but seems to have lost a lot of defense, toughness and all around camraderi.

Can Pacers pull off the upset? I'm tempted to put down some money.
    Last edited by 90sgoat; 05-22-2024 at 03:13 PM.