Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: So the new media deal is coming together. ESPN staying. Amazon close. NBC back

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    So after Talking tough about how they will not overpay for the NBA Warner finds out multiple other people are willing to more than double the price and they’re preparing to go to court to secure the right to match if the NBA doesn’t want to let them. The nba sees going back to free tv as a bonus that can’t be matched in a dollar for dollar equal contract. TNT wants to match the money and not let the nba choose. They have lost all the bass in their voice at this point. Probably trying to figure out why anyone will even need tnt without sports.

I think we can all find reruns of charmed and supernatural if we want them elsewhere.
    I literally never turn to the channel for anything but sports.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: So the new media deal is coming together. ESPN staying. Amazon close. NBC back

Appears it’s all decided and being signed off on this week .ESPN and NBC are going to pay even more than was initially reported. Amazon is going to be paying more than TNT has been paying to get nothing but the play in tournament, in season tournament, a first round series, some WNBA games and some international rights. NBC is going to start basketball night in America every Sunday night after each NFL season. So January to April will be a big free TV primetime game or two on NBC Sunday night. They also have the right to two days of weekday games, but I’m betting they put some of that on Peacock.

All that is for TNT to take them to court over the definition of a match. Turns out they’re willing to “overpay” after all And I’m mad at the NBA might not let them. I feel like a compromise would be letting TNT keep Tuesday and a designated playoff round At the old rate.

Get that salary cap up to 250 million.

I hate that TNT is being pushed out. TNT peaked a long time ago but they still remain the most authentically basketball minded product out there. Every other network has this cold corporate presentation, or low IQ/'hot take' format (Kendrick perkins, SAS etc). ESPN/ABC's coverage is appalling. Who knows what NBC and Amazon are gonna look like but I don't have any confidence in them. All these networks are owned by DEI execs with only a casual interest in sports.

NBA rookie of the year

Is it just me or is Ernie kinda being selfish in staying with TNT only and basically forcing the show to end. I don't get why people are mad at NBC or Amazon.

The Inside guys have more than enough sway that they could go to NBC and insist that NBC continue the show as is and keep all the same people employed and probably even keep the show in Atlanta (maybe you can't use the same studio, but that's not the only studio in Atlanta). I'm sure NBC or Amazon or both would be happy to keep the show running more or less as is.

I doubt Shaq, Charles, Kenny have any problem with NBC, they all came up with the NBA on NBC as players.

It's really Ernie is gonna force the whole thing to break apart because he is TNT or bust, but what is he even going to do at TNT from now on? College hoops only? I think he could even make a deal where he gets to continue to work with TNT throughout the year but can do Inside the NBA for NBC/Amazon on Tuesday/Thursday nights or something.

Just seems like a shame to me, a bunch of people are going to lose their jobs (the peeps behind the camera) sorta because Ernie doesn't want to move the show to NBC.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 05-22-2024 at 12:27 PM.

Ernie was on tbs and tnt doing shit like baseball in the early 90s. You can find him in Atlanta with Dominique Wilkins. Hes probably 35+ years in. Hes a lifer. He will probably do college ball and baseball again.

Tim Legler explains the problem with ESPN’s coverage of small market basketball teams on the
    @ryenarussillo
    show:

“And I wish I had video of all the meetings I’ve been in this year at ESPN when I wanted to talk more about the Indiana Pacers. Particularly after they got Siakam…aaaand it's just not sexy enough”
    This is the kind of thing I'm talking about with ESPN. It's all hot take discussions over the standard topics: lebron, curry, lakers, knicks etc over and over, even before games that have nothing to do with those teams or players. I don't think it occurs to people that you can capture long term audience, particularly casual fans, by marketing teams rather than just a few select star players.

They don’t think long term though. They monitor is segment by segment and they know the names that get the most clicks online. I doubt it’s any more than that. They would take Charlotte Hornets all day if they saw a traffic spike from it. They don’t bother trying to create it. They follow the trend despite having the power to create them.

3-time NBA All-Star

Appears it’s all decided and being signed off on this week .ESPN and NBC are going to pay even more than was initially reported. Amazon is going to be paying more than TNT has been paying to get nothing but the play in tournament, in season tournament, a first round series, some WNBA games and some international rights. NBC is going to start basketball night in America every Sunday night after each NFL season. So January to April will be a big free TV primetime game or two on NBC Sunday night. They also have the right to two days of weekday games, but I’m betting they put some of that on Peacock.

All that is for TNT to take them to court over the definition of a match. Turns out they’re willing to “overpay” after all And I’m mad at the NBA might not let them. I feel like a compromise would be letting TNT keep Tuesday and a designated playoff round At the old rate.

I don't get it. I'm going to assume all playoff games will be televised on one of ESPN, NBC or Amazon, but in terms of the regular season it sounds like less games are actually getting televised. Am I wrong here?

I don't really understand why they can't have a 4th package with TNT bidding at a lower price and at least getting less games as a result and probably very little or no playoffs at all. What am I missing here? Sounds like more $ for the NBA and also not a potential dip in interest since we know that the TNT coverage is a huge reason for the NBA's popularity (there's people that literally watch the NBA moreso for the Inside the NBA vs the actual games).

They don’t think long term though. They monitor is segment by segment and they know the names that get the most clicks online. I doubt it’s any more than that. They would take Charlotte Hornets all day if they saw a traffic spike from it. They don’t bother trying to create it. They follow the trend despite having the power to create them.
    Yeah but I dont think they really have that power like they did in the 90s, when there was basically no internet.

People have options now.

You can raise the public level by eliminating lower quality things. But if you dont eliminate them? There's gonna be a lot of people who just choose to scale down.

Like if McDonalds started serving broccoli and quinoa, their millions of customers arent gonna keep going to McDonalds and adapting to the new menu. They'll go to Burger King. Or Wendy's. Or wherever they can get the low end trash they prefer. And I say that as someone who eats at McDonalds from time to time. More often than I watch "First Take" certainly. I guess my body has more tolerance for junk than my mind. But you could only eliminate consumption of fast food by eliminating all fast food. If it's out there somewhere, people will go to it. ESPN cant make tik tok and all the gossip oriented online competitors away. They cant beat em, they have to join em.

So after Talking tough about how they will not overpay for the NBA Warner finds out multiple other people are willing to more than double the price and they’re preparing to go to court to secure the right to match if the NBA doesn’t want to let them. The nba sees going back to free tv as a bonus that can’t be matched in a dollar for dollar equal contract. TNT wants to match the money and not let the nba choose. They have lost all the bass in their voice at this point. Probably trying to figure out why anyone will even need tnt without sports.

I think we can all find reruns of charmed and supernatural if we want them elsewhere. I literally never turn to the channel for anything but sports.

Damn KBlaze, not the bass!

College superstar

Exclusive rights, trademarks, copyrights, and this whole concept of intellectual property is an abomination.

I’d much rather listen to Kblaze and Fultz call the games than NBC, TNT, or ESPN.

They create an artificial scarcity and rape us customers for billions and the production and product sucks.

I’m calling for a free market on calling NBA games. No state sanctioned exclusive rights to cover sports.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Yeah but I dont think they really have that power like they did in the 90s, when there was basically no internet.

People have options now.

You can raise the public level by eliminating lower quality things. But if you dont eliminate them? There's gonna be a lot of people who just choose to scale down.

Like if McDonalds started serving broccoli and quinoa, their millions of customers arent gonna keep going to McDonalds and adapting to the new menu. They'll go to Burger King. Or Wendy's. Or wherever they can get the low end trash they prefer. And I say that as someone who eats at McDonalds from time to time. More often than I watch "First Take" certainly. I guess my body has more tolerance for junk than my mind. But you could only eliminate consumption of fast food by eliminating all fast food. If it's out there somewhere, people will go to it. ESPN cant make tik tok and all the gossip oriented online competitors away. They cant beat em, they have to join em.

As of now it looks like the smallest Wembys next 3 contracts could be if healthy is 316 million, then 529, and if he’s still on the spurs for the 10 year one team bump….5 years 760 million when he’s 29. Just thought you’d like to know what the current system has reaped.

So January to April will be a big free TV primetime game or two on NBC Sunday night. They also have the right to two days of weekday games, but I’m betting they put some of that on Peacock.

Sweet.

Cant wait to tune in for these epic showdowns featuring the likes of Bones Hyland, Hayward Highsmith, Simone Fontecchio, and Tobias Harris.

LETS. GO!!!!!

As of now it looks like the smallest Wembys next 3 contracts could be if healthy is 316 million, then 529, and if he’s still on the spurs for the 10 year one team bump….5 years 760 million when he’s 29. Just thought you’d like to know what the current system has reaped.

The NBA shut down and claimed force majeur to withhold player salaries for half a year over Covid 19.

What happens when “Disease X” a 20x stronger pandemic comes along, which according to the director of the WHO this past January, is a factual certainty?

'Disease X': WHO warns future pandemic could be 20 times deadlier

“When the next pandemic comes knocking — and it will — we must be ready to answer decisively, collectively and equitably,” [WHO Director Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus] added. 

“It is not an exaggeration to say that there is potential of a Disease X event just around the corner,” Pranab Chatterjee, a researcher at the Department of International Health at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public

https://nypost.com/2023/05/23/pandem...ing-warns-who/

You think these TV deals will still be relevant by the time Yama is 29? Theyre a giant bubble the corporate world is using for a quick smash n grab. Theyre not sustainable

World War 3 and “Disease X” will have those contracts off the books in 4 years tops. If/when televised basketball resumes afterward it will be generated by AI.

Deal with it.