Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Default Re: Did the Jokic fans get ahead of themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by j3lademaster View Post
    Lebron would get absolutely crucified, but I think most- even the biggest Jokic fans- will admit Lebron was better peak vs peak so it's hard to count that one. But Kobe was more of a Hardenesque elimination game performer.

Kobe never had an elimination game that even touches the one Jokic had last night

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    Kobe never had an elimination game that even touches the one Jokic had last night
    His best one was 42/5/0 on 18/33 shooting... but they lost so that performance is shit, if we want to be consistent.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlip View Post
    Meh. Jokic could still win one or two more titles and end up on the Larry Bird their. While playing a completely different style or brand of basketball, right now, the trajectory of his career is not much worse than the first decade of Wilt's or Kareem's. Without doing much evaluation, he is already on the Moses Malone level which places him easily as a top 15 to 20 player ever.
    Modern players would get absolutely obliterated for having Larry Bird's playoff failures. Fans just didn't have the access to information and stats and players weren't put under a microscope like they are today; which is why past players are mythologized so. And I'm not trying to say Bird isn't an all time great. He absolutely was, I just think his poop probably stunk like everyone else's and rose petals don't fall from the heavens to his feet when he enters a room.

Modern players would get absolutely obliterated for having Larry Bird's playoff failures. Fans just didn't have the access to information and stats and players weren't put under a microscope like they are today; which is why past players are mythologized so. And I'm not trying to say Bird isn't an all time great. He absolutely was, I just think his poop probably stunk like everyone else's and rose petals don't fall from the heavens to his feet when he enters a room.
    I don't want to derail the thread, but since you mentioned him, Larry Bird gets as big of a pass for underperforming in the playoffs as any top 10 player. I know he's someone who's impact goes beyond the boxscore, but for the clutch rep that he has, some of his playoff performances are shockingly mediocre.

1981 Finals: 15 ppg on 46%TS

1982 ECSF: 17 ppg on on 52%TS

1982 ECF: 18 ppg on 45%TS

1983 FR: 22 ppg on 50%TS

1983 ECSF: 19 ppg on 45%TS

1985 ECF: 21 ppg on 50%TS

1988 ECF: 20 ppg on 45%TS

I understand scoring wasn't his primary contribution, but that's over half a dozen series where he scored like Jamal Murray in these playoffs, and the craziest part is, I didn't use any of the series after his back injury.

Just for another example, even his two losses against the Lakers

1985: 24/9/5 on 53%TS

1987: 24/10/6 on 53%TS

Those would legitimately be the worst series of Jokic's career

His best one was 42/5/0 on 18/33 shooting... but they lost so that performance is shit, if we want to be consistent.
    did he shoot 20% from 3pt in that game? did he play zero defense? because kobe at least played defense.

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey View Post
    did he shoot 20% from 3pt in that game? did he play zero defense? because kobe at least played defense.
    In 2012? Hell nah.

In 2012? Hell nah.
    still played more defense than jokic last night

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    That's dumb.

First of all this "era" thing is obviously going back to the bubble or maybe even prior to that. They were't true title contenders until last year. In the previous years they had guys out or weren't ready.

That graphic includes the year they were without Murry/MPJ facing the eventual champ Warriors.

Secondly the Nuggets were a 1/2 seed in the last two years so there are only two possible teams they could face in the west with a top 3 seed. They weren't going to face a top seed in the first round. Duh

Last year the 2/3 seeds were Sacramento and Memphis. Do you really think Denver would have lost to either of those teams?
    That graph includes a grand total of 1 series out of 13, totally invalidated now. It's 8-0 and 1-4, that looks so much better now.

Quote Originally Posted by hold this L View Post
    That graph includes a grand total of 1 series out of 13, totally invalidated now. It's 8-0 and 1-4, that looks so much better now.

The Nuggets have only been title contenders for the last two years. In that time they have played 6 playoff series, not 13.

The graph includes the prior two seasons when Murray didn't even play in the playoffs, but Jokic did. That was 3 series, not 1.

It also includes the bubble when they didn't have Gordon, Jokic was fat and not a MVP calibur player.

So yeah the graphic is a joke.
    Last edited by tontoz; 05-21-2024 at 08:20 AM.

The Nuggets have only been title contenders for the last two years. In that time they have played 6 playoff series, not 13.

The graph includes the prior two seasons when Murray didn't even play in the playoffs, but Jokic did. That was 3 series, not 1.

It also includes the bubble when they didn't have Gordon, Jokic was fat and not a MVP calibur player.

So yeah the graphic is a joke.
    Not this season, since they lost. They had the most pathetic run to a championship last year, all 5-8th seed teams which is unheard of. He has to prove he can actually beat elite teams because so far in his career, he's yet to do it outside of the Clippers series.

Keep the cope strong though.

Not this season, since they lost. They had the most pathetic run to a championship last year, all 5-8th seed teams which is unheard of. He has to prove he can actually beat elite teams because so far in his career, he's yet to do it outside of the Clippers series.

Keep the cope strong though.

Dont be an idiot. They were absolutely contenders and were considered the favorites to win the west.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

I don't want to derail the thread, but since you mentioned him, Larry Bird gets as big of a pass for underperforming in the playoffs as any top 10 player. I know he's someone who's impact goes beyond the boxscore, but for the clutch rep that he has, some of his playoff performances are shockingly mediocre.

1981 Finals: 15 ppg on 46%TS

1982 ECSF: 17 ppg on on 52%TS

1982 ECF: 18 ppg on 45%TS

1983 FR: 22 ppg on 50%TS

1983 ECSF: 19 ppg on 45%TS

1985 ECF: 21 ppg on 50%TS

1988 ECF: 20 ppg on 45%TS

I understand scoring wasn't his primary contribution, but that's over half a dozen series where he scored like Jamal Murray in these playoffs, and the craziest part is, I didn't use any of the series after his back injury.

Just for another example, even his two losses against the Lakers

1985: 24/9/5 on 53%TS

1987: 24/10/6 on 53%TS

Those would legitimately be the worst series of Jokic's career

People think it's a joke or a meme but if you watch the tape the 80s and 90s were a joke. Guys couldn't dribble more than twice going left and everybody's long range shooting was trash. Larry Bird was one of the only ambidextrous players but he was so unathletic it wasn't even funny.

Dont be an idiot. They were absolutely contenders and were considered the favorites to win the west.
    I thought you meant teams they played that were contenders. Either way, you can continue coping. Jokic as of right now is nothing more than a post-season flat track bully. Any time he plays elite teams outside of the healthy Clippers in 2020, he's been folded.

Carry on crying until he proves it otherwise.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

starters were gased ,, their bench from a year ago was gone , and starters had to play more minutes.

I thought you meant teams they played that were contenders. Either way, you can continue coping. Jokic as of right now is nothing more than a post-season flat track bully. Any time he plays elite teams outside of the healthy Clippers in 2020, he's been folded.

Carry on crying until he proves it otherwise.
    I am not the one crying. Are you really that butthurt about the thread comparing Jokic to Curry? Get a grip

29/11/8 against the best defense in the league is folding?