Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: So the new media deal is coming together. ESPN staying. Amazon close. NBC back

It was mentioned that the NBA was looking at having potentially more than 3 partners so maybe NBC and TNT can get in.

Default Re: So the new media deal is coming together. ESPN staying. Amazon close. NBC back

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Barkley says they’re worried as hell over there.

Could Turner executives really been as clueless as ish posters thinking ratings determined value And nobody would beat their offer?

We’ve been talking about streamers getting in the game for two or three years. They don’t give a **** if ratings are down. They pay for the NBA just for the credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Barkley says they’re worried as hell over there.

Could Turner executives really been as clueless as ish posters thinking ratings determined value And nobody would beat their offer?

We’ve been talking about streamers getting in the game for two or three years. They don’t give a **** if ratings are down. They pay for the NBA just for the credibility.]
    If their plan is just to leverage the popularity of the game now, to get more people to subscribe, with the eventual plan of a bait and switch where they stop concerning themselves with the NBA’s product quality and hope by then NBA fans have gotten hooked on whatever original programming Amazon or Netflix or whoever provides… I mean I guess it’s an interesting strategy. I hadnt really considered that angle before, but it may have some merit to it.

Ive said I think it is a certainty that the NBA as we know it now will not exist in 10 years, and arguably may not last 5 more. Not due to lack of interest in basketball but due to exterior social/economic factors. So actually maybe this is the play.

I am surprised that it's NBC making the big push. Their golf coverage has been pretty half assed and I haven't heard much good about their streaming service.

The NBA is popular internationally and live sports are seen as gold to new streaming services so focusing on domestic ratings was just myopic, I just thought someone else would be making the big push.

Apple has so much cash to burn they have just been buying back their stock because they can't think of anything else to do with it. I thought they would be involved.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    If their plan is just to leverage the popularity of the game now, to get more people to subscribe, with the eventual plan of a bait and switch where they stop concerning themselves with the NBA’s product quality and hope by then NBA fans have gotten hooked on whatever original programming Amazon or Netflix or whoever provides… I mean I guess it’s an interesting strategy. I hadnt really considered that angle before, but it may have some merit to it.

Ive said I think it is a certainty that the NBA as we know it now will not exist in 10 years, and arguably may not last 5 more. Not due to lack of interest in basketball but due to exterior social/economic factors. So actually maybe this is the play.
    thing is you were saying that a couple years ago when I first started explaining to people like you who would talk about declining interest and ratings that nobody but you gave us shit and the real money was from rights holders, who would pay a fortune to add credibility to their streaming service. And the people pushing Disney plus/espn plus, peacock, and prime video are about to give the nba more money and for more years than even I estimated.

By the time this deal is done your initial doom predictions will already have been years past the end date. Youre gonna be like the global warming alarmists.

If the deal In like 2036 is for half of the one they’re signing now it will still be 50% more than the one that exploded the revenue and ushered in this new era of money.

and that’s before you factor in that they still have to topple California, Texas and Florida legal gambling laws which combined with other states on the path for legalization will add like 100 million potential customers to the legal gambling base which is already gone up 500% the last few years and the NBA and NFL are going to get a piece of it. They just got North Carolina. Florida has already passed it but they’re fighting off their local Native American tribes who claim sole right to in state gambling.

Theyre angling for a one percent take on all nba bets.

The low end for early added revenue is 600 million a year. That would be more than ESPN was paying in total rights fees to the league as recently as 2014.

Even without Texas and California…. Gambling alone will pay the NBA as much as an entire new media partner.

This money is going to keep going up for quite a while. When the streaming bubble bursts the gambling bubble probably won’t even be full yet.

National and international gambling rights which will be pushed even more once they expand into Vegas, which they will do in a couple years is going to blow the top off.

Just wait it out. I’m probably under estimating again.

Fans really don’t think about all the money streams available past traditional metrics like ratings or how much you and your friends personally care.

Theyre monetizing the entire web connected world and creating a pipeline directly from the accounts of gambling addicts to the league.

Its only beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    I am surprised that it's NBC making the big push. Their golf coverage has been pretty half assed and I haven't heard much good about their streaming service.

The NBA is popular internationally and live sports are seen as gold to new streaming services so focusing on domestic ratings was just myopic, I just thought someone else would be making the big push.

Apple has so much cash to burn they have just been buying back their stock because they can't think of anything else to do with it. I thought they would be involved.

Apple was in on it but apparently they’re going with soccer hoping the 26 World Cup in America makes it pay off.

If TNT loses, ESPN needs to pickup the Inside the NBA crew to improve their shit coverage.

ESPN's terrible coverage for 20 years has been unbearable.

The fact that they had Van Gundy and Jackson as their flagship commentary team for ages speaks volumes.

NBC made every game feel like the Super Bowl.

I doubt they would let them go. They all signed new contracts and they already use them for more than NBA coverage. They might keep them for college games just out of spite. Ernie has been there over 30 years. And Barkley has always said he was going to retire before he got too old to enjoy retirement. If they lose it, he will probably be fine just popping up a few times a year.

If they actually let them go, I’m sure Amazon will put in an insane bid. They pay Al Michael’s wild money to do a shit job and hate the product just to say they have Al Michaels on Thursday night football.

They would give inside the NBA whatever they want

Facts Are Misleading

Barkley has an opt out in his deal if tnt loses the NBA

So after Talking tough about how they will not overpay for the NBA Warner finds out multiple other people are willing to more than double the price and they’re preparing to go to court to secure the right to match if the NBA doesn’t want to let them. The nba sees going back to free tv as a bonus that can’t be matched in a dollar for dollar equal contract. TNT wants to match the money and not let the nba choose. They have lost all the bass in their voice at this point. Probably trying to figure out why anyone will even need tnt without sports.

I think we can all find reruns of charmed and supernatural if we want them elsewhere. I literally never turn to the channel for anything but sports.

They should just create a 4th package, it's not like they don't have the inventory.

The third package of games for Amazon is already coming out of games that previously wouldn’t be on nationally other than the play in and in season tournament. I assume they get the nba tv games and some of of the leftover star games on the wrong days. And being NFL partners they don’t have to duck the NFL as much. They can use it.

The premier TNT game went from Thursday to Tuesday because they were ducking Thursday night football. Amazon can do a two for one and start Thursday night football at 7:30 and have a premier West Coast game at 10 that flows right from it.

They know their whole year Thursday night schedule before the NBA even finishes the playoffs. Why wouldn’t the NBA help them out? Washington plays Philly on Thursday November 14th. Schedule Philly in San Antoinio for Embiid and Wemby for after that. See how much of the Philly fanbase you hold.

One week is Cowboys and Giants at 7. Why not follow it with Knicks at Mavs?

why wouldn’t NBC use a Christmas day slot to lead in or follow their Christmas Day NFL game?

there is opportunity there.