Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: Tim Grover thinks traditional weight training needs to come back.

The majority of injuries are overuse for these athletes.

By the way of poor movement habits built up like anyone. Do a squat - but you use more of a secondary support muscle than your glutes? Over time, it will impact you and give way, whether through a minor or major injury. Same goes for any other movement, load bearing or not.

Has nothing to do with bands or weights. Poor mechanics, or poor balance in muscles will always cause one muscle to pick up more slack where it shouldn't. Some guys are more prone to having certain muscles grow quicker than others which can accelerate this stuff. Have that done over 100s to 1000s of hours, and eventually something will happen by way of injury.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking View Post
    The majority of injuries are overuse for these athletes.

By the way of poor movement habits built up like anyone. Do a squat - but you use more of a secondary support muscle than your glutes? Over time, it will impact you and give way, whether through a minor or major injury. Same goes for any other movement, load bearing or not.

Has nothing to do with bands or weights. Poor mechanics, or poor balance in muscles will always cause one muscle to pick up more slack where it shouldn't. Some guys are more prone to having certain muscles grow quicker than others which can accelerate this stuff. Have that done over 100s to 1000s of hours, and eventually something will happen by way of injury.
    You're right but lifting weights - when done correctly - is the best way to create structural balance and develop ideal strength ratios. A personalized strength and conditioning program will screen for, identify, and address any imbalances that are negatively affecting movement.

And that's just one benefit. I know I don't need to tell you about the importance of strength and power development for athletes. If athletes truly are lifting weights less then that's definitely a problem, and I'm sure you'll agree.

Basketball is a sport filled with tall, long-limbed, skinny dudes who get by on their height, length, and skill developed from playing a lot. And most of those guys are agnostic to pumping iron; if they do try it they're usually not doing it correctly and get the wrong idea about it. That's how we end up with outdated ideas like lifting weights "stiffens you up" and "slows you down" and "hurts your shot."

But when it's implemented correctly? You get guys like Karl Malone, David Robinson, and Giannis Antetokoumpo. Supremely powerful athletes who can dribble the ball like guards and shoot well out to 20 feet - except for Giannis. But all the jacked-up players that can't shoot couldn't even before they put on mass.

testing. I'm gonna add absolutely nothing to the conversation here. yet somehow this action alone is enough to validify my importance and existance.