Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: This would be the most efficient 30+ ppg scoring run of all time if Joker wins ti

I'll also add that standing reach varies a lot compared to wingspan and height. More than you'd think.

Mark Williams measured at 7'0" barefoot with a 7'6.5" wingspan. His standing reach? 9'9". Mo Bamba measured 6'11.25" barefoot with a 7'10" wingspan and his standing reach was only 9'6".

3" less of standing reach despite only being three quarters of an inch shorter but with 3.5" more wingspan.

The neck and shoulder girdle area can make a huge difference. It's part of the reason why Shawn Marion could block Kevin Durant's jump shot despite barely jumping:

I don't know what Marion's wingspan or standing reach was but it would've been freakish. Same goes for Kevin McHale; he probably had a standing reach of around 9'5" to 9'7". He would barely jump and be several inches above the rim like this GIF:

Default Re: This would be the most efficient 30+ ppg scoring run of all time if Joker wins ti

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    if they let wilt play like shaq, he could average as many points as he wanted to basically

A great Wilt quote he said to MJ that ties into the whole era differences thing “The difference between you and me is that they had to change the rules so I couldn't dominate. They changed the rules so that you could dominate.”
    Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    Wilt was more of a finesse player compared to Shaq, so I don't understand this statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    he had to be. they didn’t let him body people and dunk every time. shaq had a lower center of gravity with the way he was built but wilt was extremely powerful and would son 99% of the players in the league with bully ball.

I agree. That’s why I put it at the end and tried to not directly include it with the other two stories. It seems to be one of the most heavily doubted wilt accounts and there’s no footage of him doing it. But I have done a little bit of the same math you have and to he honest it doesn’t seem out of the realm of possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    He was for two reasons….

They wouldnt let him push people around…and he wouldn’t have wanted to anyway.

He played soft on purpose to change the perception of giants. It’s really my main issue with him. He didn’t wanna look bad by being physically dominant and he didn’t wanna make other bigs look bad.

The Walt Bellamy situation is a good example. He deleted that guy for a whole half. Blocked 9 shots and made him look a total fool for being compared to him. Then he let him play normally in the second.

Can you imagine what Kobe would do if he could do that?

Wilt wasn’t mean he was just arrogant.

Facts Are Misleading

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    Those offensive fouls are complete bs. We are fortunate the game isn't called like that anymore

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Yea Wilt got absolutely ****ed. People always wonder why he couldn’t literally take over at will in close games being as big and strong as he was. many don’t realize they simply would not let him use his strength that way. If he could just lift people off the ground and dunk the way they let Shaq he might have scored 100 five or ten times.

he had to take the same beating from defenders who could use all the strength on him that Shaq did, but he wasn’t allowed to reciprocate the way modern players can. Shaq always said he didn’t mind being hit hard as long as the refs let him return the favor. Refs wouldn’t let Wilt get away with any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    Those offensive fouls are complete bs. We are fortunate the game isn't called like that anymore
    Just from listening to the crowd reaction and the comments, those may have been missed calls. But still doesn't undo the fact that Shaq got away with murder. I've seen plays where Shaqs defenders were hit with fouls for simply bracing themselves for Shaqs shoulder or elbow or both. In the video Ive seen of Wilt scoring, I've never seen him doing that to his opponents.

I rule the local playground

Anyone have video of the beating Shaq took from defenders because during that time all I remember was the frontcourt of the Kings get shitted on and Mutombo/Ratliff playing some pretty good straight up D and still having no chance at guarding Shaq.

NBA rookie of the year

Congrats to Joker, looks like he will be a top 10 player before all is said and done.