Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: #2 pick Marvin Williams has decided to retire. So now I get to ask about the 05 d

Quote Originally Posted by E_Stamkos View Post
    Just skimming through the list... That draft was comprised of a good number of serviceable players who had decent careers.

Bypassing Paul and Deron was a really boneheaded move though. Especially when you factor who were their point guards at the time.

Going into that season they dressed Ty Lue and Royal Ivy.

Da fuq.
    Jazz bypassing Paul because they thought Deron would be better defensively was boneheaded as well!

Default Re: #2 pick Marvin Williams has decided to retire. So now I get to ask about the 05 d

Not a fan of Marvin when he was in Utah either. Best thing I can say about him was that he wasn't Devin Harris.

Friendliest Poster :) E_Stamkos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    Jazz bypassing Paul because they thought Deron would be better defensively was boneheaded as well!
    Fair enough... But in his hayday, Deron was a hell of a player. I still recall that 2-3 year stretch where he was arguably the best point guard in the league. From month to month, public opinion swayed between him and CP.

Then he just completely fell off a cliff.

Fair enough... But in his hayday, Deron was a hell of a player. I still recall that 2-3 year stretch where he was arguably the best point guard in the league. From month to month, public opinion swayed between him and CP.

He still had some juice for the Nets. He played less in the paint and more from 3 as he got older.

He was never the two way player Paul was

Friendliest Poster :) E_Stamkos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    He was never the two way player Paul was
    I agree... And you would know better than anyone around here.

That's not a pick that Utah bunked on though, imo.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23 View Post
    I thought they were going to draft Chris Paul back then who had a great year in College. Hope Marvin Williams plays in Australia and joints the first pick Andre Bogut in the land down under.
    IIRC, Bogut was the consensus number 1 pick all year long in the mock drafts, and Paul was the number 2. But Paul didn't finish his college career well, he had an incident with NC State's Julius Hodge in which he punched Hodge in the nuts or something like that, and then Wake Forest went home early in the NCAA tournament. Those things arose questions about Paul's temperament and leadership abilities, and as a consequence of D-Will's run to the NCAA tournament championship game, the latter was picked earlier. Where does Marvin fit in all this story? I don't remember very well, but I think he was a reserve in UNC's stacked 2005 champions team and had some big outings in the ACC and NCAA tournaments. Also, he was considered to have a lot of "potential", he was supposed to be a PF who could play outside shooting the 3 and a SF who could abuse smaller defenders. He turned out to be neither of them, only one of the biggest busts of the last 20 years. But he made the right decision coming out in 2005, had he gone back to UNC he wouldn't be able to maintain his draft stock and he would be selected much later in the 2006/2007/2008 drafts, losing a lot of money in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Redrafting the 06 draft for todays game would be kinda hard. Brandon Roy is obviously first if he stayed healthy but....he was never going to. So youre left with 3 options for #1...

Aldridge, Lowry, and Rondo.

Im not sure Lowry has not had the best career. Weird to say but....hes a 14 year player, 6 time all star, and nba champion. Rondo 14 years, 3 time all star I think, and the ring.

Rondo has not been as big a star as it feels like he has. You know that when they retire JJ reddick will have higher career earnings? Hes a few million behind now but hes getting another 13 million next season and Rondo wont get much. Hes got a 2.6 million player option.
    Considering how the game is played now, Lowry absolutely goes first in a redraft.

I used to live in Atl and follow the Hawks and the decision to pass on a pg in 05 just confirmed that Knight was clueless.

His comments on Childress were laughable. Childress was maybe the slowest wing in the league who couldnt shoot. He got a lot of points cherry picking on fast breaks. He would routinely leak out early leaving the team short handed on the defensive glass. Iggy and Deng were both taken right after Childress and were far better players.

He also passed on Lou Williams in the second round who played his HS ball in Georgia.

Knight was so clueless that on lottery night when they got the second pick he thought they also got the 2nd pick in the 2nd round (Hawks had the worst record in the league). The person interviewing him was dumbfounded.

Reminds me of when the Twolves went PG happy. Flynn, Rubio, etc. Don't understand why some GMs do this. Doesn't even give the players a chance to properly develop since one inevitably rises to the top.

Marvin Williams wasn't a huge bust. He had a long career as a decent role player.

Lowry hasn't been as good as Aldridge, so he wouldn't and shouldn't go ahead of him.

Rondo #1 tho. Obviously Roy has his arguments. Rondo was special and in big games often still is.

Chris Paul belonged on that Hawks team. Some GMs overthink it, just like Dumars, TWolves, Knicks every year.

I remember Marvin Williams at UNC, I couldn't tell you he was gonna be a bust but I could tell you he had a low motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115 View Post
    Lowry hasn't been as good as Aldridge, so he wouldn't and shouldn't go ahead of him.

Rondo #1 tho. Obviously Roy has his arguments. Rondo was special and in big games often still is.
    Just say you don’t understand how basketball is played now