Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Default Re: What Would Today's Players Score in the 90's?

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball IQ View Post
    This rule change did/does not effect great defensive bigs like Gobert, Mutombo, Anthony David, Roy Hibbery, Prime Ibaka, Kevin Garnette, Tim Duncan...etc. If anything this made bigs more versatile in their defense (guarding perimeter players) No disrespect, you're sounding like a Jordanite.
    Of course great defensive bigs are great defensive big regardles of era. It's the middle of the pack bigs, who'd have a harder time shadowing slashers.

Doesn't have anything to do with Jordan. He wasn't the only slasher back in the day.

I don't care about Jordan that much in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball IQ View Post
    Tony would be the same exact player he was in the 90's. And Pippen's stats wouldn't even be as good as Jimmy Butler's
    I think Pippen would be even seen as a greater allround player. And yes, Kukoc would be the same. Any player magically transfered in another era would be the same. The question is if that very same player can profit from said era. I think both Pippen and Kukoc could.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Default Re: What Would Today's Players Score in the 90's?

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
    I think Pippen would be even seen as a greater allround player. And yes, Kukoc would be the same. Any player magically transfered in another era would be the same. The question is if that very same player can profit from said era. I think both Pippen and Kukoc could.
    Think about it:

*Faster pace
    *More wide open spacing (more open J's and more opportunities to slash)
    *Less shot blockers in the post
    *More transition opportunities
    *All of the above=more opportunities to playmake
    *Small ball--Pippen's rebounding was elite for a wing and would be even greater if he is bigger relative to the other players on the court than he was in the 90's
    *Pippen could play--and defend--all 5 positions

Pippen would be one of the biggest winners if he played today versus the 90's. Something like 25/10/8 would be doable (he peaked at 9 RPG in a slower era where more bigs so 10 RPG would be possible) as peak stats.

Kukoc was Pippen-lite on offense so he would benefit too, he just wasn't as talented or as skilled and his impact on areas other than scoring and playmaking wouldn't change materially since he was a poor defender and poor rebounder.

All these guys talk about how weak defenses are today, spacing, we know the pace is faster--yet somehow Pippen and Kukoc would 1) enjoy no increase in opportunities 2) have no increase in efficiency with wide open shots. It is absurd.