Default 24 Hour Fitness vs. LA Fitness

Thinking about getting a gym membership after a while, who should I go with.

I like that 24 hour is open, well 24 hours but LA's gyms seem to be cleaner.

Default Re: 24 Hour Fitness vs. LA Fitness

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    Thinking about getting a gym membership after a while, who should I go with.

I like that 24 hour is open, well 24 hours but LA's gyms seem to be cleaner.
    24 Super sports are nice. I usually go to Equinox or Lifetime though

Planet fitness is 24 hours now, and only 10 bucks a month. No brainer, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Facepalm
    24 Super sports are nice. I usually go to Equinox or Lifetime though
    You have 2 gym memberships?

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    You have 2 gym memberships?
    I actually have 3. It depends if I want to go to the gym close to work or close to home for Equinox/Lifetime. I'm grandfathered into the 24 so I just keep it since it's cheap but don't really go to that one anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
    Planet fitness is 24 hours now, and only 10 bucks a month. No brainer, imo.
    Umm.. no. Those mother fckers hit me with hidden fees every so after, like $44 or some shit

Quote Originally Posted by Facepalm
    I actually have 3. It depends if I want to go to the gym close to work or close to home for Equinox/Lifetime. I'm grandfathered into the 24 so I just keep it since it's cheap but don't really go to that one anymore.
    Not many lifetimes in my area, heard they are nice though. What range does membership run?

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

I have memberships to both. The only advantage LA Fitness has is that it has a basketball court where you can play indoors. Otherwise, a 24 hour gym is clearly the best choice.

Great college starter ThePhantomCreep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    I have memberships to both. The only advantage LA Fitness has is that it has a basketball court where you can play indoors. Otherwise, a 24 hour gym is clearly the best choice.
    Do they all have this feature?

A few 24 Hour Fitness locations have indoor courts, but not all.

I have access to some of the worlds best gyms, and I don't even use it. I should. I'm going to start again and cancel my membership at PF.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantomCreep
    Do they all have this feature?

As far as I know, yes.

College star

I've been a part of all three and let me rank them based on my preference:

24hf
    LA fitness
    Barney gym

LA fitness is by far the cleaner gym with better equipment, only problem is that it's not always accessible. When i was in Florida it would close at like 10PM on the weekends which is ridiculous IMO and it would be packed on Mondays like 24hf from 4-9pm and you cannot avoid the crowd by going late...

Barney gym... well needless to say it's a good place to get into shape but it's limited significantly by its equipment. It's targetted towards the average gym member. Weights go up to 75 (atleast at the one i was at) and there are no barbells, just the smith machines. Hell, there was only one machine you can do pull ups on and it was assisted and had a support so close that your knees hit (i'm 6'2).

Anyways that's my opinion/ranking of the three.

On a side note, I currently go to Gym5 in Nashville and it's amazing. It is a little but more expensive and hours are limited like LA Fitness, however the price keeps the idiots away which is the complete opposite of planet fitness.

Quote Originally Posted by BigNBAfan
    I've been a part of all three and let me rank them based on my preference:

24hf
    LA fitness
    Barney gym

LA fitness is by far the cleaner gym with better equipment, only problem is that it's not always accessible. When i was in Florida it would close at like 10PM on the weekends which is ridiculous IMO and it would be packed on Mondays like 24hf from 4-9pm and you cannot avoid the crowd by going late...

Barney gym... well needless to say it's a good place to get into shape but it's limited significantly by its equipment. It's targetted towards the average gym member. Weights go up to 75 (atleast at the one i was at) and there are no barbells, just the smith machines. Hell, there was only one machine you can do pull ups on and it was assisted and had a support so close that your knees hit (i'm 6'2).

Anyways that's my opinion/ranking of the three.

On a side note, I currently go to Gym5 in Nashville and it's amazing. It is a little but more expensive and hours are limited like LA Fitness, however the price keeps the idiots away which is the complete opposite of planet fitness.
    that's my main pet peeve with LA Fitness, it's often packed with people even at times you'd think it wouldn't be. The Basketball gym is a cool feature though.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

The LA fitness I used to go to in NYC used to be one of the best gyms around in the late 2000s. Management got a lot worse, a lot of random small crimes used to happen in the parking lot and even inside the gym. Outdated machines, management is very annoying. Staff can be incredibly rude and unhelpful. I've seen people pay trainers and trainers talking to others while their client is working out with poor technique.

Place is dreadful now. Not too sure about 24 Hour Fitness but I know of one somewhere around where I live and it's considered a pretty good gym. LA fitness over the years has developed the worst reputation around here. The best gyms though in my area tend to be really pricey and have become jam packed ever since people realized the difference in quality of what they paid at LA fitness and the fraction over they pay at the new places for a way better experience.