Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: Can't stand it when people say Durant is at Dirk's level and will surpass him

Why?

Durant is one of the best players of all time when he's healthy. It's unfair to compare careers as Dirk is ending his and Durant still has a decade left.

But Durant is certainly on the Dirk level, perhaps higher...nothing wrong with saying that.

I'd like to see Durant's game evolve a little and be able to grow as a player in some certain areas, but to act like Dirk is on another level is silly.

So...meh...Durant vs Dirk all time? Total toss up pretty much at this point assuming Durant is able to play out his career without a ton of injuries.

Quite frankly, there is a better chance Durant finishes ahead of Dirk all time than Dirk finishes ahead of Durant.

As for the help stuff...I think Durant has had some better teams, but those teams have suffered some unlucky breaks. Those 03 Mavs were similar...

But if one were to think Dirk is clearly better...just no. That isn't accurate at all...

Default Re: Can't stand it when people say Durant is at Dirk's level and will surpass him

And lets forget Dirk has had a great coach in Carlisle to hide his defensive inadequacies.

And the fact KD has basically not had a coach his whole career.

3-time NBA All-Star

Dirk probably doesn't have a title if Lebron doesn't totally meltdown in 2011. Durant probably does have a title if Lebron has a similar meltdown in 2012.

I do think its a little bit of overrating Durant and/or underrating Dirk to say Durant is at a higher level. I wouldn't really say one is notably more impactful then the other.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by masonanddixon
    One guy went up against Duncan, Shaq, Kobe, and Garnett all in their primes.

The other guy goes up against all perimeter guys.
    Dirk never went up against Shaq or Kobe in his prime. Durant actually beat Dirk, Kobe, and Duncan all in the same playoff, although neither were in their primes but still playing at a high level.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZMonkey11
    And lets forget Dirk has had a great coach in Carlisle to hide his defensive inadequacies.

And the fact KD has basically not had a coach his whole career.
    Carlisle certainly didn't hide them last year.

There is no doubt Rick is a much better coach than any coach KD had had, but there are a couple myths here.

1. Dirk was a poor defender in his prime. This simply is false. He just wasn't a very good defender. This is a big difference though...and it really matters because often the argument against Dirk is that he "sucked on defense"...and that just isn't true. Durant does nothing defensively to move the needle in any real way more than Dirk.

2. Rick took over the Mavs when they had great rosters. Again, this is false. Go look at the 09, 10, and 12 rosters (with 12 being the last year of Dirk being capable of winning it by carrying a team imo)...those weren't championship caliber rosters...so while Rick is an amazing coach...he didn't have a lot to work with outside of 11.

I like Dirk a lot but Durant is a better player

Dirk won a title but Durant is still young

Durant is better?

So I don't understand this thread title.

Durant 2014 >> Any Dirk season
    Durants just on another level when healthy.

TomBrady
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel
    Through 9 seasons: http://bkref.com/tiny/MQ5ll

KD has 1 MVP.
    Dirk has 1 MVP.

KD has 1 NBA Finals appearance.
    Dirk has 1 NBA Finals appearance.

KD has 6 All-Star Game appearances (not counting 2016).
    Dirk has 6 All-Star Game appearances (counting 2007).

KD led the league in scoring 4 times.
    Dirk led the league in scoring 0 times.

KD made the All-NBA First Team 5 times.
    Dirk made the All-NBA First Team 3 times (counting 2007).

Durant pretty much missed last season so he would have probably added one more All-NBA First Team award to his collection.
    Dirk has two finals appearances, 2006 and 2011.

Durant is still better though. Higher peak so far.

One guy went up against Duncan, Shaq, Kobe, and Garnett all in their primes.

The other guy goes up against all perimeter guys.
    #BREAKINGNEWS: Perimeter player goes against perimeter players.

He's done nothing to indicate he's at Dirk's level and his resume isn't 5% of Dirk's.

Anyone who thinks he's in the same ballpark as Dirk doesn't know basketball and is a child.
    Why watch basketball if you're a racist?

Quote Originally Posted by TomBrady

Durant definitely has the higher peak, but Dirk in those finals was incredible. I'm more of a Durant fan, but I really want to see him dominate a finals like that

Not airballing my layups anymore

It would prolly do you a lil good to read the whole post... "Through nine seasons"

[COLOR="White"]Joe Montana is the GOAT QB[/COLOR]