Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: I don't understand why the left opposes military spending?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Please describe what you mean by "infrastructure" in your own words
    Roads, bridges, tunnels, ports, rail, energy, waste, etc. The basic building blocks that every country needs.

You should read the infrastructure report card from the American Society of Civil Engineers. It's shocking how bad we are considering that we are the greatest country in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    college debt in general

it's ridiculous right now
    You can't force people to not be stupid.

You also shouldn't excuse the behavior.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I didn't say we should cut military by 50%. I said we could and we would still be #1, and still more than double China (#2).

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    I didn't say we should cut military by 50%. I said we could and we would still be #1, and still more than double China (#2).

A small cut would be ideal, but you don't want that to set the precedence of a regular cut to military each budget.

A one off 5 or 10% reduction on the total military spending so it comes down to 45 or 50% for the future as well.

You still leave America with a sizeable military spending advantage even with those small cuts.

Sarcastic > Absolutely.

Only Americans who don't have an international perspective on things think US defense funds are actually used for defense against legitimate foreign threats. The truth is, the US is an overextended empire with very little in terms of actual results to show for it.

Like many empires in the past, its best feature is the mostly guaranteed freedom of navigation and ease of trade, which costs a lot but surely not that much.

On the land, is still somewhat useful in Europe, in particular to deter Russian ambitions (though if it didn't, the EU might have more of an incentive to protect itself) but no longer on an economic level...

In the Middle East and Northern Africa, it mainly serves as an agent of chaos and destruction...

Elsewhere it is merely ineffective.

Common sense is what calls for a military downsizing, not treasonous left wing values.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantomCreep
    23,000 posts in 5 years = a degree in jack and shit

Many of us get college degrees to get a good chance at a job, not necessarily a guarantee and a big number of those students don't get the ideal job that they dreamed of.

The government could push people to learn how to trade on the stock market or invest in property when they leave school, but the reality is they want a working class with a variety of skills to fill a variety of different jobs.

They also want the majority to be good little tax payers and conform to government policies and laws. It's what helps the world go round.

So essentially we are not being taught how to make money and be independent, but rather to fit into the needs of the government and how they want your money to be generated.

I'm not saying that doing college and going through the normal process is any less admirable, but I'm merely highlighting the flaws in people's mindset and how our government's agenda influences every decision we make.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Why don't they oppose overspending on social security and medicare?
    how can someone be so dumb. This retard has got to be chained on some basement and it's feed by his parents on dog bowls.

Banned

Roads, bridges, tunnels, ports, rail, energy, waste, etc. The basic building blocks that every country needs.

You should read the infrastructure report card from the American Society of Civil Engineers. It's shocking how bad we are considering that we are the greatest country in the world.
    Bro, I know what bad looks like. America is doing great by the rest of the world's standards. We aren't the very best but that's impossible to do in a nation of 318 million people that is geographically as large as America is. Infrastructure is not our biggest concern.

Great college starter ThePhantomCreep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Bro, I know what bad looks like. America is doing great by the rest of the world's standards. We aren't the very best but that's impossible to do in a nation of 318 million people that is geographically as large as America is. Infrastructure is not our biggest concern.
    OMG, 318 million people, whatever shall we do?!!

European nations are less wealthy and less productive per capita, yet their infrastructure lords over ours. How do they do it? How do Asian cities like Tokyo and Seoul do it? Those cities make ours look podunk in comparison.

This is another example of conservatives adding nothing to the greatness of this nation--they're far too content with their mediocrity. Without progressives, America would be a giant Alabama.
    Last edited by ThePhantomCreep; 02-12-2016 at 11:33 PM.

The left doesn't oppose military spending. The left opposes military over spending.

We could cut our military spending in half, and still spend more than twice the #2 country. The money we don't spend on military could be used on things that could actually help this country in a practical way, such as infrastructure.
    No other country upholds and maintains the current world order like America does. Hence why China or Russia doing anything in their own spheres is "aggression" while America having missiles almost on these nation's borders is a matter of "defense" -- good luck maintaining the US-dominated hegemony all throughout the world without such high levels of spending.

I personally, would like the US to cut and run from most of the world, and scale back its involvement in the rest. That is the only real way to tackle US military dominance and the consequent levels of high-spending expended for the universalist cause of American liberal-utopianism.

The idea that you could ever have an "Empire" of liberty was farcical, and just one of the many contradictions that made up that sly fox Thomas Jefferson. Republic, or Empire: make a choice; the former makes liberty its measure, the latter, power; the American cause, starting with the US Constitution and the early acquisitions of territory, has always favoured power over liberty, despite its many pretences to the contrary. There is a reason why the US Constitution was barely ratified, and that the clinching argument (used by Madison at the Virginia convention), was that this Constitution would make their slaves (and other property) more secure.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    I keep seeing this in here:

But I'm not seeing it in the thread about the apish St John's student threatening to smash people's computers over a sticker.

Dude shows up in every thread where he can play the crybaby/victim/sympathy/minority card. Dodges every thread where he can't.

What a f@g.
    Wait, you have people on an ignore list?

Lulz, that's pretty weak and pathetic...beta af

Then you call him a f*g

There are many posters whom I think are shit and have idiotic stances, you being among the top of the list but I would never put people on ignore even if they post garbage and give me cancer with their idiocy because I would rather engage them than run away from a debate, you OTOH ignore posters who challenge you...PATHETIC

Wittle baby can't handle it awwww

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    okay, so then no one goes to college.

I just recently had to create my son's college fund, it is estimated that it will cost him $250k by the time he is that age.

That's absurd...regardless of inflation, that is absurd....no one should be spending a quarter million to go to college. If the 'correct' way to go about things is "just don't go to college" then the system is broken.
    Won't cost him anything if he's willing to put in the work.

Push him.