Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: LaMarcus Aldridge proving why a mid range game is the lost art in the modern NBA.

I've tried explaining to people why Aldridge takes the shots he does even if it hurts his personal efficiency and how it's a good thing that he does it... some just don't get it.

A lot of newer basketball fans think TS% and eFG% are the end all be all. Floor spacing is a complete mystery to them.

Example:

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Ogg
    I like Aldridge, but he's getting overrated. Although he gives you a lot in other areas, he's a shot jacker. Took 20.6 fga/g to score only 23.2 ppg. Durant with the same amount of attempts averaged 9 more points a game for comparison.
    First, you completely miss the point of those shots. Second, using Durant as a standard is a nice way to make any player look worse by comparison. Aldridge doesn't try to draw fouls a ton or shoot 3's so his points per shot aren't spectacular. It's the fact that he's as good as he is at the shots he does take that make it work. Stats are useless without context, and your posts pretty much ignored all relevant context. Aldridge forces teams to guard those long 2's and mid range shots because he's good enough to hit them at a good clip. For the shots he takes he is efficient. He takes those shots by design, it's not like he's just chucking up terrible shots because he likes to shoot. He's not JR Smith.
    Last edited by Threethrows; 04-24-2014 at 03:04 AM.

I usually hit open layups

Default Re: LaMarcus Aldridge proving why a mid range game is the lost art in the modern NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Threethrows
    I've tried explaining to people why Aldridge takes the shots he does even if it hurts his personal efficiency and how it's a good thing that he does it... some just don't get it.

A lot of newer basketball fans think TS% and eFG% are the end all be all. Floor spacing is a complete mystery to them.

Example:

First, you completely miss the point of those shots. Second, using Durant as a Standard is a nice way to make any player look worse by comparison. Aldridge doesn't try to draw fouls a ton or shoot 3's so his points per shot aren't spectacular. It's the fact that he's as good as he is at the shots he does take that make it work. Stats are useless without context, and your posts pretty much ignored all relevant context. Aldridge forces teams to guard those long 2's and mid range shots because he's good enough to hit them at a good clip. For the shots he takes he is efficient. He takes those shots by design, it's not like he's just chucking up terrible shots because he likes to shoot. He's not JR Smith.
    Good call, his mid range shots are by design and thats the reason why they got terry slotts to develop it even more. He was the brain who designed the 2011 mavs offense, basically around dirk, who is another bad ass at the mid range. People have been saying lately that LA is playing like 2011 dirk, well theres a reason for that. If anyone who has ever had to defend against someone who can hit mid range shots, you have to respect it but when you get up close and they can drive past you, its a really tough player to defend. If you give them space they will pop a j, if you guard up close they blow by. Basically whats happening here, just mchale is too dumb to double

Decent playground baller iBandwagon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwishSquared

Great offense > great defense at end of the day. Gotta get buckets to win. You can tell Stotts told LMA to play like Dirk last offseason!
    Although I agree with your "great offense > great defense" premise, Aldridge is playing "Great offense > Bad defense." Man to man is obviously not working on him, McHale needs to switch up something on D. He needs to send well timed doubles and have his player ready to rotate.

Quote Originally Posted by Random_Guy
    damn LMA is going ham. i cannot believe it but he is the number 1 powerforward in the league right now.
    This. I knew LMA is good, but THIS good in the Playoffs against a solid team and allegedly DPOY level Dwight?

Very good NBA starter

People forget that Karl Malone and Tim Duncan also utilized midrange jumpers to a very high degree. Kevin Garnett too, Chris Webber, Pau Gasol, Kevin McHale . That shot from a PF didn't start happening just recently. Aldridge is a beast and glad to see he's flourishing in the playoffs. It helps to have range as a big man who can also do work in the post and in the paint!

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    playoff games is a horrible matchup for harden's playstyle

the opposing team is interchangeable
    that but also they dont have a PF that can guard LMA

Mid Range game is sexy. It's so great seeing someone working on mid range. Most players offensive move today is either drive to the basket or chuck 3s.

Post game and mid range game = ART

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Face
    Mid Range game is sexy. It's so great seeing someone working on mid range. Most players offensive move today is either drive to the basket or chuck 3s.

Post game and mid range game = ART
    its true !

What i love about guys like Lebron and Lamarcus !

Can't believe I agree with OP's premise

Poor Crockets.