Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: ESPN: On Kidd getting benched....

Kidd shouldn't be there!!!! In international ball you have to be able to shoot the ball...especially from the guard positions......he's our worst shooter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gencbiba
    Because basketball is all about shooting. There are 5 players at a given time on the field. I'm guessing that you haven't even seen a USA game yet this year.

Watch one, and see how Kidd sets up the offense. A lot of plays, Kidd will be the one passing to the one getting the assist. It's like he can predict the future.
    The other teams KNOW Kidd isn't a threat in the offense so they don't have to worry about him which will result in double teaming other players. And from what I've seen in ALL games so far, Kidd has been the least effective PG in setting up the offense.

Cornell Basketball=#1

Seriously, you guys are reading WAY too much into this.

The entire point of bringing Kidd on was to provide veteran leadership and FIBA experience. He was NEVER expected or asked to play any significant minutes, not during the 07 Qualifiers or the 08 Olympics. He averaged about 10 minutes a game during the qualifiers. I would expect him to average even fewer during the Olympics. His job was to start the game, set the tone for the team, and be a teacher for the young point guards.

So basically, what the hell is the big deal?

As long as we've got Kidd setting the tone, teaching Deron, and having Deron play the big minutes at point guard, we should be fine at that position.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AppleNader
    Seriously, you guys are reading WAY too much into this.

The entire point of bringing Kidd on was to provide veteran leadership and FIBA experience. He was NEVER expected or asked to play any significant minutes, not during the 07 Qualifiers or the 08 Olympics. He averaged about 10 minutes a game during the qualifiers. I would expect him to average even fewer during the Olympics. His job was to start the game, set the tone for the team, and be a teacher for the young point guards.

So basically, what the hell is the big deal?

As long as we've got Kidd setting the tone, teaching Deron, and having Deron play the big minutes at point guard, we should be fine at that position.
    Thing is that Coach K seems to think Paul is better then Deron for the team.

In my opinion, Deron is better. Of course, I'm no coach, but I think his shooting ability, something important in INTL play, is far superior to Paul's.

Dunking on everybody in the park

i honestly don't see why paul is even here. Ithought we were better off last year with kidd williams and Billups.

Local High School Star

I've been saying htis for years Paul just doesn't belong on this team he is not effective at all without NBA refs. Anyone who has actually watched basketball for the past couple years knows Deron is the better player, but Paul's game seems to attract the dumb fans who think flash is more important than winning. I think this team would be better off with Deron getting 30 minutes and Kidd getting 10. Paul is way way overrated, as evidenced by Deron outplaying him badly in the Russia game.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
    Kidd is still a key cog for this team. He is essential for the chemistry here on this team, and a leader for the guys and leads the unselfish movement. Last summer while he wasn't amazing statistically, anyone who watched the games could see how awesome he was in running the offense and helping to lead the D. He's the only guy on the team that doesn't care if he takes a shot the whole tournament, and maybe the only one that could be very effective without doing so. I still trust him more defensively than either other younger pg, and I certainly trust him to move the ball better than what's Paul been doing.

And I don't see the big deal in not playing a 35yo player in a tune up game. How the hell do people just automatically believe its over for him?
    ---Ditto
    IF the USA Team brings back the GOLD , Kidd was a part of it .
    This isn't the NBA , any player on a Olympic team that gets a metal contributed PERIOD>
    Kidd is there for a on the floor leader with past experience. I don't care if he scores a point as long as the US team brings back the GOLD.
    These posts writting off Kidd have no idea what happens in practice as well as in the locker room with a veteran like Kidd assisting 'newby's how to play the International game'

Cornell Basketball=#1

Quote Originally Posted by BIZARRO
    I am absolutely questioning it. Not only am I questioning it; I am answering it.

He has NO offensive game. ZERO. ZILCH. NADA. CRAP. AWFUL. Playing 4 on 5 when he is in the game. He's OLLLLLLLLLLLLLLDDDD.

Starting to slow down? His stats are like 1, 2, and 1. BRUTAL!!!

Taken like 2 shots in 50 MINUTES of play. Has 4 ASSISTS in the tourney so far!! YOU COULD STEP ON THE FLOOR and have more assists playing with these players.

At the moment you, I don't think you could say he is beter than Paul and Williams? To even make this sentence up is insane. He doesn't belong in the same paragraph with Paul or Williams currently, let alone the same sentence.

I am hoping that one day the Jason Kidd overrating delusionists one day wake up on here. He is and always has been THE most overrated player on ISH.

Don't get me wrong, he used to be very good. LONG, LONG, LONG time past.

He can't play dead now.
    no offense, but posts like this just show how stat-obsessive you are. You have absolutely no understanding of what J-Kidd brings to this team, nor do you even know the backstory on why Mike K wanted him on the roster in the first place.

All you care about is stats. Stats without context. Stats without the big picture.

This is the worst type of mindset.

no offense, but posts like this just show how stat-obsessive you are. You have absolutely no understanding of what J-Kidd brings to this team, nor do you even know the backstory on why Mike K wanted him on the roster in the first place.

All you care about is stats. Stats without context. Stats without the big picture.

This is the worst type of mindset.

Wrong. Yes, his stats do suck. But I've watched the games and he has sucked too.

You can take your Coach K backstory and your big picture and your mindset and go to the back of the room with all the other delusional J-Kidd overraters.

I swear, Jason Kidd has drugged 1/3 of the posters on ISH.

He doesn't belong on the team. He can't play dead anymore, stats or not. Period.

paul has outplayed the rest of the pgs on this team. but kidd is still useful, i love watching him and lebron operate the fastbreak when given the opportunity

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    paul has outplayed the rest of the pgs on this team. but kidd is still useful, i love watching him and lebron operate the fastbreak when given the opportunity
    no stats for that - other than making the team better !!!

Cornell Basketball=#1

Wrong. Yes, his stats do suck. But I've watched the games and he has sucked too.

You can take your Coach K backstory and your big picture and your mindset and go to the back of the room with all the other delusional J-Kidd overraters.

I swear, Jason Kidd has drugged 1/3 of the posters on ISH.

He doesn't belong on the team. He can't play dead anymore, stats or not. Period.
    Nobody is overrating him. And the fact that you just admitted that you don't want anything to do with understanding why he was selected, or what he is bringing to the younger point guards shows how absolutely ludicrous your argument is.

It's actually a very simple concept. If you understand why he was asked to be on the team by Mike K and if you understand what Mike K specifically asked Kidd to bring to the team, you wouldn't have a problem with it. Unfortunately for you, however, you admit to not caring about those reason's, and clearly favor stats without context.

Like I said, very poor mindset to have.
    Last edited by AppleNader; 08-04-2008 at 08:39 PM.

Nobody is overrating him. And the fact that you just admitted that you don't want anything to do with understanding why he was selected, or what he is bringing to the younger point guards shows how absolutely ludicrous your argument is.
    Complete BS. He has been the most overrated player on ISH for a long time as me and a few other posters on this thread have pointed out.

And yes, I could care less why he was selected. You tell me, is it to teach them how to hit their wive's multiple times, or is it to teach them how to bicker with coaches, or teach them how to argue with management, all of which Kidd has done his whole career.

A lot of guys are better role models. All he is teaching Williams and Paul how to do is to have graciousness when they destroy a washed up, overrated, 35 year old guy in practice who shouldn't be there.

Saying Jason Kidd is there to be a role model is like saying Jason Voorhees is there to help the homeless.

And that has nothing to do with the fact that he can't play dead now either.

Give me a guy who CAN PLAY every time.

Cornell Basketball=#1

Complete BS. He has been the most overrated player on ISH for a long time as me and a few other posters on this thread have pointed out.

And yes, I could care less why he was selected. You tell me, is it to teach them how to hit their wive's multiple times, or is it to teach them how to bicker with coaches, or teach them how to argue with management, all of which Kidd has done his whole career.
    I'm sorry, but you really need to look at what you are typing. You just admitted again to deliberately ignoring context, and rather bring up off-topic, irrelevant anecdotes? Has Kidd ever had a problem leading Team USA in 2000, 2003, 2007, and now 2008? No.

Mike K specifically asked him to be on the team. The players specifically asked him to be on the team, and rave about how much better he makes them all. Jerry C specifically wanted him on the team.

All he is teaching Williams and Paul how to do is to have graciousness when they destroy a washed up, overrated, 35 year old guy in practice who shouldn't be there.
    You see, the thing is, if you actually watch USA basketball interviews, practices, read practice reports, and the such, you would know firsthand that this is complete BS. The difference is that if you educate yourself, you wouldn't have to resort to such base-less gibberish. I know you hate Kidd, but arguments like these just go to show how much you like to make immature arguments.

All Deron and CP3 talk about is how much they are learning the international game from Kidd.

Now please, try to make an argument that is on-topic without:

1)resorting to trying to use his lack of stats as a justification.
    2)making immature, exaggerated anecdotes
    Last edited by AppleNader; 08-04-2008 at 08:57 PM.