Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: nba players bench press

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator
    so arnold whos on steriods and lifts for his living reps that much and wilt whos significantly taller and longer meaning longer space to reach before a repetition is counted can lift as much as arnold. He's a basketball player. It may be true but i highly doubt it. Shaq claims to lift that much and look how big he is.
    Not everybody builds bulky muscle. Some people build lean muscle, just look at Asians for an example. Dudes are so small but some of the strongest people on the Earth. I played high school football and was benching 215 when I weighed 135. If you think I'm pulling this out of my ass then go watch the NFL combine and watch the wide recievers, cornerbacks and safteys bench press. Also, bench press is mostly about your chest, not your biceps or arms. It works them out as well as your shoulders, but it's mostly your chest doing the work, if you do them right.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

yes i know its already hard to bench 450+ with short arms wilt has long arms making them even harder. ALso Arnold has been training his whole freakin life. ALot of Wilt chamberlain feats are made up. Yes and you benching that mcuh playing football is normal. Look at conan the destroyer. Wilt's chest wasnt very developed. Just look at it. Having that chest and benching 450 is quite awkward. If it is true he must have been a super human.

Serious playground baller

Wilt didn't bench 465. Anyone thinking this obviously knows little about working out to be able to even lift that much.

Especially a basketball player, who for his entire career focused on lean strength and cardio.

If Wilt was benching 465, he would be gassed out about 20 minutes into a basketball game. The larger your muscles, the more oxygen they take from your blood. This means you need more oxygen and you become tiered. This is why you don't see huge, gigantic, body builder esque professional fighters do well. They gas out.

We have some dumb, out of shape, fatties on this board.

Serious playground baller

Arnie when he was benching in the 400's.

Wilt in his prime.

I almost think of Wilt as a myth, too much stuff blown-out of proportion and no one will ever know the truth for sure.
    20,000 women, 100 points (not on film), 465 bench, 46-50 inch vertical...

Doug Collins mentioned during a Bulls game in late 2006 that Ben Wallace could bench 420.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by Trax416
    Wilt didn't bench 465. Anyone thinking this obviously knows little about working out to be able to even lift that much.

Especially a basketball player, who for his entire career focused on lean strength and cardio.

If Wilt was benching 465, he would be gassed out about 20 minutes into a basketball game. The larger your muscles, the more oxygen they take from your blood. This means you need more oxygen and you become tiered. This is why you don't see huge, gigantic, body builder esque professional fighters do well. They gas out.

We have some dumb, out of shape, fatties on this board.
    Re-read articles that talks about Chamberlain's bench and you'll see that he didn't do that while he was in his prime but at the end of his career or after when he wasn't as lean.

This is Chamberlain at 60: http://www.oread.ku.edu/Oread98/Orea...amberlain.html

He was pretty religious about working out and didn't need the cardio to play ball then. You'll notice he was a hell of a lot bigger and stronger looking (even at 60) than he was at 22-26.