Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    National High School Star Sir Charles's Avatar

Default Re: If PRIME Arvydas Came to the NBA, Where Would Have He Ranked As All Time Center?

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    I think you're an idiot you also forget that the Admiral won an Olympic Gold Medal in the 1992 and 1996 Olympics, and he is one of the best NBA Center in the 1990's.

Career awards/accomplishments

NBA Champion (1999, 2003)
    NBA MVP (1995)
    NBA Defensive Player of the Year (1992)
    NBA Rookie of the Year (1990)
    All-NBA First Team (1991, '92, '95, '96)
    All-NBA Second Team (1994, '98)
    All-NBA Third Team (1990, '93, 2000, '01)
    All-Defensive First Team (1991, '92, '95, '96)
    All-Defensive Second Team (1990, '93, '94, '98)
    10-time NBA All-Star
    Only player in NBA history to win the Rebounding, Blocked Shots, and Scoring Titles and Rookie of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year and MVP
    One of only four players to have recorded a quadruple-double
    NBA Sportsmanship Award (2001)
    Third player in NBA history to rank among the league's top 10 in five categories (7th in scoring (23.2 ppg), 4th in rebounding (12.2 rpg), 1st in blocks (4.49 per game), 5th in steals (2.32 per game) and 7th in field-goal percentage (.551))
    First player in NBA history to rank among the top five in rebounding, blocks and steals (per game) in a single season
    Fourth player ever to score 70+ in an NBA game
    3-time Olympian (1988, '92, '96)
    One of 50 Greatest Players in NBA History (1996)
    Led NBA in Scoring (1993–94 season) - 29.8 ppg
    Led NBA in Rebounding (1990–91 season) - 13.0 rpg
    Led NBA in Blocked Shots (1991–92 season) - 4.49 bpg
    Holds record for most IBM Awards (1990, '91, '94, '95, '96)
    His 10,497 rebounds and 2,954 blocked shots are the most by any player wearing a San Antonio Spurs jersey, and his 20,790 points are second most behind only George Gervin's 23,602. (Had only Gervin's NBA numbers been taken into account, Robinson would be #1 in this category; Gervin scored 4,219 of his points while the franchise was in the American Basketball Association.)
    Gold Medal in 1986 FIBA World Championship.
    Member of Dream Team #1 during Olympic Games at Barcelona.

Robinson > Sabonis
    Robinson > Barkley
    Robinson > Sir Charles

In think are an even more Idiot

Robinson won in the 1992 Olympics do to having a Great Dream Team along Greats like:[COLOR="Blue"] BIRD, MAGIC, JORDAN, BARKLEY [/COLOR]as Leaders also EWING, DREXLER, MALONE, STOCKTON, MULLIN etc

And guess who was the[COLOR="blue"] MVP [/COLOR]of the Dream Team? [COLOR="blue"]CHARLES BARKLEY (Leadin the Team in PPG, FG%, 3rd in Rebounds, 3rd in Steals and 6th in Assits)[/COLOR]

In the 1996 Olympics he also Won because he had a Great Team too with Daddy [COLOR="blue"]CHARLES BARKLEY as "Captain" and as the MVP AGAIN (Leading the whole Team again in PPG, FG%; this time Rebounds and top 3-5 In Steal and Assits)[/COLOR]

David Robinson is the Most Overrated Center of All Time and he got owned by Sabonis in 1986 and 1988 big time! (go watch the videos) not to metion he got owned by BARKELY in All Possible Ways in 1993! (and David Robinson had to leave his position to Guard 6`4 ft Barkley from the Center Spot ahhaha).

David Robinson with no Duncan = No Championships

CHARLES BARKLEY > David Robinson
    Arvydas Saboins > David Robinson

Last edited by Sir Charles; 07-24-2008 at 04:37 AM.

Default Re: If PRIME Arvydas Came to the NBA, Where Would Have He Ranked As All Time Center?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Charles

In think are an even more Idiot

Robinson won in the 1992 Olympics do to having a Great Dream Team along Greats like:[COLOR="Blue"] BIRD, MAGIC, JORDAN, BARKLEY [/COLOR]as Leaders also EWING, DREXLER, MALONE, STOCKTON, MULLIN etc

And guess who was the[COLOR="blue"] MVP [/COLOR]of the Dream Team? [COLOR="blue"]CHARLES BARKLEY (Leadin the Team in PPG, FG%, 3rd in Rebounds, 3rd in Steals and 6th in Assits)[/COLOR]

In the 1996 Olympics he also Won because he had a Great Team too with Daddy [COLOR="blue"]CHARLES BARKLEY as "Captain" and as the MVP AGAIN (Leading the whole Team again in PPG, FG%; this time Rebounds and top 3-5 In Steal and Assits)[/COLOR]

David Robinson is the Most Overrated Center of All Time and he got owned by Sabonis in 1986 and 1988 big time! (go watch the videos) not to metion he got owned by BARKELY in All Possible Ways in 1993! (and David Robinson had to leave his position to Guard 6`4 ft Barkley from the Center Spot ahhaha).

David Robinson with no Duncan = No Championships

CHARLES BARKLEY > David Robinson
    Arvydas Saboins > David Robinson

Stop trolling, and i nominate you as the most annoying poster in this site.

Maybe similar numbers to prime Bill Walton. Their games are somewhat similar, from what I've seen of his early footage.

Quote Originally Posted by Collie
    Maybe similar numbers to prime Bill Walton. Their games are somewhat similar, from what I've seen of his early footage.
    Arvydas in his 20s could leap, run, was more agil, had more potence, was faster and quicker etc he could even Break the Backboard with 1 handed dunks. Arvydas destroyed Robinson in the 1986 and 1988 Olympics and he is just 1 year older than Robinson. The NBA missed out on the FIFTH GREATEST CENER EVER.

Local High School Star Joshumitsu's Avatar

I read somewhere that Sabonis was the main reason why the Dream Team was created after that.

Why is...those things? TheGrassIsGreen's Avatar

In terms of skill, he was one of the best. A lot of people here are praising Sabonis' athletecism, but it's hard to judge as the Soviets made him take steroids.

I agree that he would be one of the best, but it's hard to say where he would stand. Hypothetically speaking, if he had come here when he was drafted, he would have had to stop steroid usage and he would not have the endurance nor the strength that he did in the Soviet Union. This is why this argument is really frivolous to argue. There are so many different factors that can be seen in retrospect that it's hard to come up with any concrete reason.

Saw a basketball once

Saw him play a game in 1988 against good European competition.

Possibly the most complete centre I've ever seen.

His athleticism in the post would have been a handful for any NBA centre but what really set him apart was his passing and shooting.

Often he'd drift down to the high post and if the opposing centre didn't go with him (and often if he did) he pop the J as easy as shelling peas. If the centre followed him a laser guided pass would find someone open for an easy basket.

He would have stood out in the NBA, and may well have dominated.

And remember, the 1992 Dream Team (the only true one IMO) had a bucket load of talent arounf Robinson and, unlike some USA teams since, actually worked really hard to gel with each other.

NBA rookie of the year

Arvydas would have without a doubt been a consistent 20-10 guy.

He was about 7'2" and 280 pounds in his prime with great athleticism and amazing skills for a big man. He had NBA 3 point range, excellent footwork and post moves, great rebounding ability and he was probably the greatest passing big man of all-time.

As far as athleticism well he couldn't quite run or jump like Shaq, Hakeem and Robinson but I'd say as far as athleticism he was similar to prime Ewing except Sabonis was about 40 pounds heavier and 3-4 inches taller.

Don't forget that by the time he came to the USA he was 30 and had suffered ankle, achilles and knee injuries. That robbed him of his mobility and athleticism.

In 1997-1998 an old 33 year old, overweight, injury prone Sabonis averaged 16.0 ppg, 10.0 rpg, 3.0 apg, 1.1 bpg, 49.3 FG%, 79.8 FT%.

I don't see how someone could really stop Sabonis in his prime. He could score in the post with his great size, footwork and hook shots but he could also step outside and make long jumpers as well as being able to make three throws if he was fouled. Then if you doubled teamed him that wouldn't work because he was possibly the greatest passing big man ever.

I'd imagine his prime stats would be around 23-25 ppg, 12-13 rpg, 4-5 apg and 2 bpg.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrassIsGreen
    In terms of skill, he was one of the best. A lot of people here are praising Sabonis' athletecism, but it's hard to judge as the Soviets made him take steroids.

I agree that he would be one of the best, but it's hard to say where he would stand. Hypothetically speaking, if he had come here when he was drafted, he would have had to stop steroid usage and he would not have the endurance nor the strength that he did in the Soviet Union. This is why this argument is really frivolous to argue. There are so many different factors that can be seen in retrospect that it's hard to come up with any concrete reason.
    Was really that stringent the anti-drug program in the NBA by that date? Just asking, i always got the impression that they started being more strong on this by mid of the 90s, but I'm probably wrong.

Why is...those things? TheGrassIsGreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by berraco
    Was really that stringent the anti-drug program in the NBA by that date? Just asking, i always got the impression that they started being more strong on this by mid of the 90s, but I'm probably wrong.
    It probably wasn't, but I'm basing my argument off of his own choice to take them. Sabonis was pretty much forced into taking steroids by the government from my understanding. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrassIsGreen
    It probably wasn't, but I'm basing my argument off of his own choice to take them. Sabonis was pretty much forced into taking steroids by the government from my understanding. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the information

Banned

He would've been the greatest center of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianScalabrine
    He would've been the greatest center of all time.
    But Brian Scalabrine is the Greatest Center in the history of the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
    Arvydas would have without a doubt been a consistent 20-10 guy.

He was about 7'2" and 280 pounds in his prime with great athleticism and amazing skills for a big man. He had NBA 3 point range, excellent footwork and post moves, great rebounding ability and he was probably the greatest passing big man of all-time.

As far as athleticism well he couldn't quite run or jump like Shaq, Hakeem and Robinson but I'd say as far as athleticism he was similar to prime Ewing except Sabonis was about 40 pounds heavier and 3-4 inches taller.

Don't forget that by the time he came to the USA he was 30 and had suffered ankle, achilles and knee injuries. That robbed him of his mobility and athleticism.

In 1997-1998 an old 33 year old, overweight, injury prone Sabonis averaged 16.0 ppg, 10.0 rpg, 3.0 apg, 1.1 bpg, 49.3 FG%, 79.8 FT%.

I don't see how someone could really stop Sabonis in his prime. He could score in the post with his great size, footwork and hook shots but he could also step outside and make long jumpers as well as being able to make three throws if he was fouled. Then if you doubled teamed him that wouldn't work because he was possibly the greatest passing big man ever.

I'd imagine his prime stats would be around 23-25 ppg, 12-13 rpg, 4-5 apg and 2 bpg.
    He was [COLOR="Blue"]7-3 ft [/COLOR]([COLOR="blue"]1 Inch Taller than Jabbar, 2 Inches on Shaq and Robinson, 4 Inches on Ewing and 5 inches on Hakeem)[/COLOR])

Weight: [COLOR="blue"]279 lbs [/COLOR]([COLOR="blue"]Only Shaq Could have Battled Him in the Paint[/COLOR])

I think he would reached the 30 + PPG mark and 14-16 rpg for a couple of seasons too. I think his ASP average would been 2-3 for his first 8 to 9 seasons because the team that would have gotten Arvydas would have wanted him as the Focal Scoring Point and they would have taken advantage of his Physical Prime but then in his last 5-6 or seasons this man would have probaly averaged 4-5 ASPG with ease. His Blocks for his first 8-9 Seasons would have been 3 to 4 for a couple of Seasons too and rarely below 2.

Arvydas along Kareem and Hakeem are the Most Talented Centers to Play and I think he had a a little more Physical Abilities in his 20s than Patrick! but obviously not more than the 2 others mentioned.

But there is something that we forget: he would have been way more Overpowering than Kareem, Hakeem, Ewing or Robinson in the Post Weight Wise, Strength Wise and Talented Wise was near to Jabbar and Kareem. He was almost as Strong as Shaq less of a Leaper but he could Run like Shaq from Court to Court the same or more!.

Arvydases FG% would have hit the 60% Mark a couple of times if not more! and rarely go belowe 55% in his Prime.

This man would have have averged 25-35 (55-60%) PPG, 12-16 RPG, 4-5 APG, 3-4 BPG and ofcourse Shoot Great froom the FT and 3-Point Range in his PEEK.

There is a Reason why Shaq called him "The Best Center I Played Against" (its not just a statement made up from some European Arvydas fan)

If Shaq said that to an Old Aging Arvydas not the one in his 20s and before his major injuries..just imagine what he could have done in his 20s :)

He would have definetly been TOP 4-5

Here more clips. Breaks the Backboard with a "1 Handed Dunk"

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a9AJ-Y...eature=related
    Last edited by Sir Charles; 07-24-2008 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Charles
    He was [COLOR="Blue"]7-3 ft [/COLOR]([COLOR="blue"]1 Inch Taller than Jabbar, 2 Inches on Shaq and Robinson, 4 Inches on Ewing and 5 inches on Hakeem)[/COLOR])

Weight: [COLOR="blue"]279 lbs [/COLOR]([COLOR="blue"]Only Shaq Could have Battled Him in the Paint[/COLOR])

I think he would reached the 30 + PPG mark and 14-16 rpg for a couple of seasons too. I think his ASP average would been 2-3 for his first 8 to 9 seasons because the team that would have gotten Arvydas would have wanted him as the Focal Scoring Point and they would have taken advantage of his Physical Prime but then in his last 5-6 or seasons this man would have probaly averaged 4-5 ASPG with ease. His Blocks for his first 8-9 Seasons would have been 3 to 4 for a couple of Seasons too and rarely below 2.

Arvydas along Kareem and Hakeem are the Most Talented Centers to Play and I think he had a a little more Physical Abilities in his 20s than Patrick! but obviously not more than the others mentioned.

But there is something that we forget: he would have been way more Overpowering than Kareem, Hakeem, Ewing or Robinson in the Post Weight Wise, Strength Wise and Talented Wise was near to Jabbar and Kareem. He was almost as Strong as Shaq (less Athletic though).

Arvydases FG% would have hit the 60% Mark a couple of times if not more! and rarely go belowe 55% in his Prime.

This man would have have averged 25-35 (55-60%) PPG, 12-16 RPG, 4-5 APG, 3-4 BPG and ofcourse Shoot Great froom the FT and 3-Point Range in his PEEK.

There is a Reason why Shaq called him "The Best Center I Played Against" (its not just a statement made up from some European Arvydas fan)

If Shaq said that to an Old Aging Arvydas not the one in his 20s and before his major injuries..just imagine what he could have done in his 20s :)

He would have definetly been TOP 4-5

How did you know? He wasn't very impressive when he is playing for the Portland Trailblazers, and Rasheed Wallace was their best player during that time.

Sir Charles, you can't just predict that he is going to be an all star in the NBA because Prime David Robinson is going to schooled him in the 1990's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S36g_...related&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2EShynbM_k&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FInsapjeY_M&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC0CN...related&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_GgL...related&fmt=18